Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: NEED HELP WIRING HORSE TRAILER PLEASE.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> NEED HELP WIRING HORSE TRAILER PLEASE.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
JW2

Woodinville, Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/05 01:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy….

After reading the thread on this forum about camping with horses, I hope there are some horse folks here who hopefully might be willing to help me. I have a 1999 F350 PSD with a small camper. I had a brake controller wired in at an RV repair shop shortly after I bought it. I was using it then to pull a new 3 horse trailer. The connector on the truck is a standard 7 pin connector, and the 3 horse trailer had the same. Everything work perfect with this set up. Long story, but I no longer have this trailer.

I recently got a 1984 2 horse side by side Circle J brand horse trailer, 2 axles with electric brakes on both axles. This trailer has been sitting for about 10 years and I am in the process of doing some fix up on this trailer, i.e. new floor, bearings, new tires, etc. This trailer has no connector currently on it so I bought a prefabricated (wires molded into connector) 7 pin connector with about a 6 foot length of wires already attached.

I admit to not know nearly as much about this wiring stuff as I would like to. One of the factory informational sheets I received with this 1984 trailer shows a diagram for the wiring. It shows a circular connector with 5 pins in a circle, and then one additional pin in the center of this circle, for a total of 6 pins. The 5 outside pins are shown with one pin directly at the bottom, and then the other 4 pins equally spaced, basically two just below the center pin and two above the center pin. The pin at the bottom (#1) has an arrow pointing to it labeled “Right Turn”. Moving counter clockwise from this pin, the next pin (#2) has an arrow pointing to it is labeled “Left Turn”. The next pin (#3) has an arrow pointing to it labeled “Ground”. The next pin (#4) has two arrows pointing to it, one arrow labeled “Clearance Lights” and another arrow labeled “Tail Lights”. The last pin on the circle (#5) has an arrow pointing to it labeled “Blank”. The pin in the center of the circle has an arrow pointing to it labeled “Brakes”.

There are a total of six wires from the trailer. Their colors are white, green, black, red, brown, and yellow.

I have a “RV Repair & Maintenance Manuel” by Bob Livingston. It has a diagram titled “7-Pin Connector (Socket Interior)”. This connector diagram shows the notch at the bottom, and then moving counter clockwise the six pins are labeled starting with the first pin to the right of the notch. The first pin is labeled “1 white”, the next “5 red”, the next “3 green”, the next “4 black”, the next “6 brown”, and the last pin on the circle is labeled “2 blue”. The center pin in the center of the circle is labeled “7 yellow”. Below this diagram is the text:
“1. White, ground”
“2. Blue, elect. Brake”
“3. Green, tail”
“4. Black, batt. Charge”
“5 Red, stop/left-turn”
“6. Brown, stop/right-turn”
“7. Yellow, aux. circuit”

I am assuming that my prefabricated connector is set up as above since it has these 7 wire colors.

My dilemma: Which wires from the trailer hook up to which wires on this new 7 wire pig tail?

OK, if you are still reading here with me, can you help me with this? I would truly appreciate it. Thanks much, in advance, for any help you have.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/05 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I've found to be the most common on trailers.
White-Ground
Blue-Brakes could be black in your case
Green-Right turn & stop
Yellow-Left turn & stop
Brown-Clearance & tail lights
Red-Aux battery charge

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing 2002 278EFS Keystone Cougar,Handy 5er tailgate

oktrailrider

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/05 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a big chicken about doing that kind of stuff myself, especially since I am hauling live animals. I would also recommend that you take it to a trailer shop.

Terri
Cuervo - Missouri Fox Trotter
Boogie - Missouri Fox Trotter
92 Sun-lite Pop Up Truck Camper
97 3/4 ton diesel chevy
00 W&W 2 Horse Slant Trailer

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/05 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have helped wire a lot of homemade trailers and a few boat trailers in my life. What always worked for me is first, make sure you have the trailer hooked up to the tv. This gives you a good ground---make sure the ball is not too rusty. Then I always took regular old straight pins like the ones that comes in shirts and stuck them into each wire on the tv harness. Strip a little wire off the trailer wires and make a connection to what you think is right. After a little trial and error you will hit the right combo. I am sure you can be more elaborate and use a meter but it ain't half as fun.

Camping Hoss
2004 F-250 PS
2002 SB 5'er
Lucky & Lucie

tapp

ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/05 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a 12volt battery and conect the negative side to the frame. Then touch each of the other wires to the positive side. This will allow you to quickly determine what is what. Be prepared to disconect quickly just in case you have a short some where. If the brakes are in working order you will hear them engage.
Good luck
Graham

Jozzieo

Home based in K.C., Mo. (location may vary)

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/05 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JW2,
You do not appear to be a dummy, you could do this job yourself, but I suggest taking the trailer to a trailer shop in your area and have them install it for you. We have a great one here in K.C. named Croft trailer, (I have had them install a 3rd axle in my old boat trailer.)They can check your electric brakes after the wiring install also.

Good luck.
Jim.

Jim and Sue Osbern,
08 Ford Super Duty 3/4 PSD 4x4 lariat Crew Cab. '07 3400RL Montana, Maytag's with 220 dryer, Satdome, Rear A/C unit, Digital amp Gage, Vena tank monitor, Rear camera, 3,000W. Inv, Roto chocks, air bags My Mod's

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/05 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following website should help you out. Scroll down till you come to the 7 way diagram.
Trailer wiring
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> NEED HELP WIRING HORSE TRAILER PLEASE.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS