Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Sewer Hose Carrier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewer Hose Carrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
JHUCK

Lowry, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a bumper that I can hold my sewer hose so right now it has to be in a side compartment. I've seen a few people that use PVC to make a carrier. What size pipe do you use? 4" looks like it will work but the end connection might not fit but 6" looks like it will be way too big to fit under the trailer. What kind of connections do you use & how did you mount it? Also can you paint PVC pipe? I would like it black & I can't find any black pipe anywhere, I checked Home Depot, Ace, Menards, Fleetfarm.

If theres anyone with any other ideas on a carrier I would love to hear them. I've seen plastic fence post & PVC homemade carriers & thats it. I've thought of black drain tile as well but ruled that out after thinking the hose wouldn't go in & out well since the hose is ribbed as is the carrier.

'05 Thor Wanderer 221SD

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the square fence post cover and it was 4" and my sewer fittings fit in the tube. You can take your fittings that you intend to use with you to make sure they will fit. Below are pics of my sewer hose holder and like you I don't have a bumper that can hold a sewer hose. I carry both a 10' and 20' length and they both fit in my holder.

This is a pic of the 3" brass screw on a laynard that goes in to keep the cap from opening. That flat bar on the left is fastened to one of the existing bolts that holds my enclosed underbelly membrane on the the angle iron to attached to that for holding the post cover. That way I didn't have to put any new holes in my trailer frame.

This view shows the two brass hinges that mount the end caps to the post cover. I had to mount the hinge in the cap on the inside and had to re-counter sink the holes to keep the brass hinge as low profile as possible. The hinge mounts on the post cover in the normal manner and I cut off and smoothed the screw ends on the inside so the sewer hose would not hang up on the screws. I used all brass to keep the rusting and corrision to a minimum.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 6” because it will hold everything connected with the sewer hook ups… including elbows and ground pipe connectors…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

I use a 6” because it will hold everything connected with the sewer hook ups… including elbows and ground pipe connectors…

Just make sure you run a string from the bottom of your skid plates to the rear tire and mount it forward enough that you won't tear it off ... been there and done that. 4" was all I could use and still access both sides w/o running into my sewer plumbing or having to crawl under my slide.

Larry

jliveit

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used 6" schedule 20, alot lighter than the 40 and used the rubber seal caps on both ends. Added a handle to the end of cap and just push on and pull off. Had to grind some of the bubber seal down because it was to hard to get on and off. Used a piece of all thread and made a large u-bolt around the pipe and attached at both ends to the frame. I don't see any reason you couldn't paint it if you want to. Don't forget to drill some holes in the bottom of the pipe so it can breath and drain.

rscraig

Denton, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of using standard PVC pipe, I used rigid 4" PVC drain field pipe. I'm not sure this is available in all parts of the country, but around here, every Lowes and Home Depot carries it. It is thinner and lighter than regular PVC and has pre-punched holes that allow for drainage. Cut to length then glue on the same screw-in end covers used for regular PVC. I mounted mine on top of my back bumper using stainless steel pipe clamps. Fastened them securely to the bumper with screws then wraped them around the pipe. I'm covering mine with attractive and witty bumper stickers.

Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

djevans

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

- You can paint PVC

- I ended up not doing it, at least not yet, but I found an area behind one of our compartments. I considered cutting thru the back of the compartment and using an elbow to make the turn. Still considering other options at the moment.

- mounting it is just not a problem nearly anytime. I don't typically drill thru frame rails. (not because I can't, but, they are usually heat treated, they might say on them not to do so, or for whatever reason concerns me at that time. I have used the heavy duty girder hangers or other compression clamps. (just make sure they don't/can't come off at 70 mph)

- I definitely don't want to be reaching under the coach these days. I try to find ways to stay off of the ground, esp. after or while it's raining. Just try to make it "easily" accessible.

- one more note on PVC of "many flavors" - it's possible to build (I used a baseboard heater once) or rent a heat box to bend PVC (here's a picture of one on CRAIGSLIST) Doing that keeps it "more or less" one piece and they slide in better

Don . . . near 36.171N 086.784W, TN near here
WA4ZFN
2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C - HONDA Element
350hp Cummins ISC
2006 GL1800 HONDA GoldWing
- - - P i c t u r e s - - -

"HOPE" is not a strategy . . .

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

back when I used a stinky slinky I used Prest-O-fit fittings that were easily removed so the hose would slide into the back bumper on top of a section of plastic gutter material I had placed in it.
bumpy

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the 5" fence post like below and put a length of PVC Gutter inside to make a pull out drawer to hold the hose and adapters, I machined a couple of wood blocks for ends and a partition with a drawer pull knob. Need to take a few pictures to post.

LarryJM wrote:

I used the square fence post cover and it was 4" and my sewer fittings fit in the tube. You can take your fittings that you intend to use with you to make sure they will fit. Below are pics of my sewer hose holder and like you I don't have a bumper that can hold a sewer hose. I carry both a 10' and 20' length and they both fit in my holder.

This is a pic of the 3" brass screw on a laynard that goes in to keep the cap from opening. That flat bar on the left is fastened to one of the existing bolts that holds my enclosed underbelly membrane on the the angle iron to attached to that for holding the post cover. That way I didn't have to put any new holes in my trailer frame.

This view shows the two brass hinges that mount the end caps to the post cover. I had to mount the hinge in the cap on the inside and had to re-counter sink the holes to keep the brass hinge as low profile as possible. The hinge mounts on the post cover in the normal manner and I cut off and smoothed the screw ends on the inside so the sewer hose would not hang up on the screws. I used all brass to keep the rusting and corrision to a minimum.

Larry

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On one of my previous TTs, I placed my 6 inch pipe ON TOP of A-frame, behind propane bottles. Simply used hose clamps to hold it in place. Never had a problem in 4000 miles of towing. Iff you can find ABS pipe (at a plumbing supply house), it is already black. Otherwise, I would get landscape PVC. It is green with perforation holes built in and uses standard PVC fittings. Plumbing supply houses carry 6 inch, but HD and Lowes carry 4 inch. I like 6 inch because I can keep all my fittings inside, while still attached to the hose. Another alternative is to get a SUPERMAX plastic core toolbox, and keep all your hoses, gloves, etc. in there, mounted to your rear bumper-I have this on my current TT (it sits too low to the ground for any alternatives), and I like it the best of my options. I do not have to bend over to get the hoses out, or connect the fittings. I also keep my "black" garden hose in there that I use to rinse the black tank out. I do not have a picture, but I have seen one here at sometime in the last year. I mounted mine with U-bolts around the bumper fed through very large angle brackets, bolted through the bottom of the toolbox.

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Sewer Hose Carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts