Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 08 Duramax oil change
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 08 Duramax oil change

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
parapants

Lincoln Park, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well im getting a little tired of paying over $100 to get my oil changed on my truck so im goona start doing it myself. I know how to change the oil I just dont know exactly what I need. So I have a few questions:

1. How much oil does the 6.6L Duramax hold?
2. Where can I get a oil pan that will hold all of the oil?
3. What kind of wrench do I need to take the oil filter off?
4. Where can I get the wrench, oil, and filter? (I WANT to run synthetic ONLY)
5. How bout the wrench and filter for the fuel? what do I need there?

Any thing else I need or need to know I would appreciate the input. Thanks!!

2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 4X4 D/A DRW
Edge Evolution, 2000W 12V-120V inverter
Scorpion bedliner, B&W companion hitch
2008 Keystone Fuzion 362
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser behind TH

Sigepsb

Bay Area, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. I believe it is 10qts/2.5gals, don't have the manual in front of me. You will probably have to run it, let it sit, and double-check the dip-stick. Mine tends to need a bit more than advertised to get to the top of the full range.
2. Autozone, Kragen, etc. Get the biggest one and wait for a deluge of oil to come out.
3. Large size oil filter wrench or strap wrench. When you put yours on, just use you hands and don't use a wrench. I've never had one leak putting it on per filter manufacturer's specs for number of revolutions after touching oil filter mounting surface.
4. Autozone, Kragen, etc. They have Mobil 1 turbo diesel, which is a good synthetic. Just make sure you check the back and confirm it is CJ-4 rated. Your year truck with DPF requires this. Sometimes there is old stock of CI-4 rated left on the shelf.
5. The fuel filter is not difficult if you are marginally mechanically inclined, but would take to long to explain here. Go to www.thedieselplace.com and do a search for the procedure.
You may want to change your Allison spin-on filter while you are down there. I would recommend buying only the actual Allison brand filter through an Allison dealer, GM dealer(most expensive option by far), or the internet(Merchant Automotive, etc.). Many discussions on why Allison brand only also at thedieselplace.com

2010 Jayco 29BHS
2007.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison

TubaPete

Comstock Park, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/09 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't like spending that much either so I called around. Found a wide range of prices. Lowest was $70, at the Chevy dealer of all places.

And yes, it is 10 qts.

Tuba Pete

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $22 a gallon. 4 quarts = 1 gallon. So you need to purchse 3 gallons.

Soon I will be changing my oil for the first time on my 08 D/A and will be using Mobil 1.

I also rotate my tires when I change the oil.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$70-$100 for a full sync. oil change at 10+ qts. and filter and labor is not all that bad...
Keep in mind the mess, the clean up, the old oil disposal, etc. Also the dealer will plug in the computer and run a diagnostic scan of your truck and perform any new re-flashes or adjustments while he has it. He will also most likely wash your truck.

On the other side- if you do it yourself you get some sense of satisfaction (guys like to wrench on trucks) and you will know it is done to your standards...also your labor is free.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/09 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a tool to remove the WIF sensor at Auto Zone.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Oldtymeflyr

Littleton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just changed the oil on our 2004 Duramax. Its 10qts.

Get a Futomo valve and you don't have to worry about a wrench otherwize its 17mm. Get the valve with the nipple and you can attach a hose so there will be less splashing.

This is an easy oil filter to change, its out in the open.

I used a Wix filter.

As far as oil goes be sure it is a diesel oil with the CJ-4 rating and 15W-40. Yes, this is important.

Let me say this, the filter was $12.50 and the no synthetic Rotolla was $45.00 for 12qts.

The fuel filter is not hard to replace. I purchased a Delco filter from my local dealer, its part number 12633243. This is important you want the latest filter design. No new old stock.

First make sure that you have a container that will hold the fuel filter.
Disconnect the water sensor wiring on the bottom. Release the pressure with the screw valve at the top, mine uses a plastic screw. Get a wrench that will go around the filter and loosen it. Now things do get a little tricky, you have a filter full of fuel and you have to get it through the AC lines, this can be tight. Surprisingly, mine did not spill. Drain the filter, remove the water sensor. Install the O-rings, install the water sensor, I used a clear grease to hold the top O-ring in place and it was reinstall time, a little tougher then removing it. Pump the primer, until fuel comes out of the vent, tighten the screw vent.

I enjoy working on our vehicles, I also did the front and rear axles and the transfer case. Next is the Allison.

Enjoy yourself.

redsb3

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/09 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your going to do your own oil change, don't forget the lube. There are 11 zerk fittings on the front suspension (at least on my 05) that also need to be done.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

redsb3 wrote:

If your going to do your own oil change, don't forget the lube. There are 11 zerk fittings on the front suspension (at least on my 05) that also need to be done.

11 zerk fittings is correct. The hardest one to get is the idler arm body zerk. A right angle adapter on the grease gun hose helps make it easier. Real important to grease the front end on a regular basis. Most dealers/oil change places don't lube the hard to get at zerks for the steering linkage......

MikeLD

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 2500 HD D/A, Has the digital display on the instrument panel,which has oil life, it has me changing the oil about 10,000-12,000 miles which is way to long I think. I change about every 3500-4000 is that about right.If I use synthetic oil how far before next change.I also say the post about Trans filter should it be change each time you change the oil.Thanks for your help

2008 Chevy LT 2500 HD D/A 4X4
2006 Victory Lane SRV 35
2004 Road King Harley Davidson

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 08 Duramax oil change
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts