Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Purchasing a Geo Tracker or Sidekick for towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Purchasing a Geo Tracker or Sidekick for towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Minnie_Collector

Roaming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have recently purchased a new motorhome and are looking to purchase a Geo Tracker or Sidekick to tow. I'm looking for some recommendations on whether to purchase manual or automatic and should it be 2WD or 4WD. I don't know if an automatic would require significant modifications or do they require the same equipment as a manual trans. Are some years not towable? Obviously we don't want to purchase one and they have to make significant modifications to it. So, I'm looking for some guidance on which one would be the best type to purchase.

* This post was edited 09/05/09 04:00pm by an administrator/moderator *

Travelling with our spoiled 4-legged kids

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check out these towing guides
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

minnie_396 wrote:

We have recently purchased a new motorhome and are looking to purchase a Geo Tracker to tow. I'm looking for some recommendations on whether to purchase manual or automatic and should it be 2WD or 4WD. I don't know if an automatic would require significant modifications or do they require the same equipment as a manual trans. Are some years not towable? Obviously we don't want to purchase one and they have to make significant modifications to it. So, I'm looking for some guidance on which one would be the best type to purchase.

The manual will tell you if the vehicle is towable 4 down. Look under recreational towing in the index. My advice is if there is no manual in the glovebox do NOT believe the salesman. It was my experience that they do not know what cars are towable or not, and will say anything to get you to buy the car.

Here is a link to OLDER model info on towables.
NOTE: scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of the web site
for info on cars from 1998 to 2008.http://goodmanchevrolet.com/brochures.html

http://goodmanchevrolet.com/dinghy%20tow%20guides/98_dinghy_tow.pdf

I tow an automatic, 4x4, 4-door, Tracker, I put the transfer case on the 4x4 in neutral and gear shift in park and go. It's recommended to stop every 200 miles, put automatic gear shift in drive, or manual in 2nd and run engine for one minute. Be sure to check if you have manual hubs or not.

PM me if you have any questions. They changed mid year with some model Trackers and I had a lot of help from the RV dealership on how to handle the base plate.

* This post was edited 09/05/09 04:14pm by rockhillmanor *

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 90 or 91 and it was 4WD with standard trans and it towed great, but turned out to be a money pit to keep it running.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as far as relying on personal experience instead of following the owner's manual recommendation, I am sure that if early on you would have asked John Dillinger about the wisdom of robbing banks, he would have assured you that he did it a lot and never had a problem.
bumpy

Minnie_Collector

Roaming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dicknellen wrote:

check out these towing guides
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

I already looked at the guides but they don't go back to the older trackers, the ones in the mid-90s. Was looking for someone who has personal experience with them.

Sunset

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my response dated 25Jul2009 to a similar thread on this same subject...

"We tow a 94 Tracker 4WD 2dr hardtop auto, 97 Tracker 2WD convertible manual, and 96 X-90 4WD auto. All are good vehicles to tow. For the 1st generation Tracker/Sidekick, the 4WD auto or manual can be towed (with manual hubs). If 2WD, only the manual. The X-90 had auto-locking hubs, so I replaced with the manual type for about $100 (simple remove & replace procedure). I have no experience with the 2nd generation Tracker/Vitara."

"I installed Demco baseplates on all three vehicles at home by myself. Only needed to drill a few 1/2" holes. The Demco baseplates don't have the removable "horns", but are unobtrusive--especially for the 94 and the X-90. Demco has priced their baseplates right, too."

I have read that some have towed the 1st generation 4x4s with the auto-locking hubs, but this has some hazard. It's easy to buy replacement manual hubs for less then $150 and very easy to change them yourself. I do all the maintenance on the vehicles myself and they have been reliable. These vehicles have 75k to 144k miles now and run fine. Engine compartment access is good. The 1st gen vehicles do accumulate miles on the odometer during towing. Ride quality is bouncy for such short wheelbase vehicles as one would expect. It's a utility vehicle. We love our three.

Good luck.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best bet is 4X4 as those do not require any modification to tow. I have automatics. They get about the same gas mileage. All is needed to do to tow is place the transfer case in neutral and the automatic in "Park". Book says to stop every 200 miles and run engine and transmission in gear for five minutes. This is no big thing for us. I would go a little newer and get a Grand Vitara with the V-6. I have an '02 with the 2.0 engine and it is a little weak. My XL-7 with the 2.7 does OK but weighs a 1000 pounds more then the Vitara. The Grand Vitara weighs about the same as the Vitara. Base plates are fairly easy to install. I have a Roadmaster setup. I use magnetic lights on the Vitara.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Minnie_Collector

Roaming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

as far as relying on personal experience instead of following the owner's manual recommendation, I am sure that if early on you would have asked John Dillinger about the wisdom of robbing banks, he would have assured you that he did it a lot and never had a problem.
bumpy

Bumpy -- First of all, I never said I was going to rely on personal experience over an owner's manual. Second, I would tend to put alot of faith into Mr. John Doe RVer who had towed a 19XX Geo Tracker with automatic transmission for 25,000 and had great success with it.

Thanks to all of you who have provide me with helpful advice, it is appreciated. To those pessimistic folks folks out there, why waste your time posting if you aren't going to be helpful.

SGJKKing

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i tow a 96 tracker 4x4, 5sp, transfercase in neutral, trans in 2nd ,key in acc front hubs unlocked,stop evey 200 miles and run engine, (i haven't done this) and it was all set up to tow when i bought it, no problems, for automatic same except trans in park,transfercase in neutral,front hubs unlocked, key in acc,they don't recomend to tow if 2wd or with auto hubs,if you have auto hubs just change to manuel hubs

Steve & Julie King
Bellingham, WA

Rocky - Miniature Pinscher
Mini - Miniature Pinscher
Scrappy - Chihuahua

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Purchasing a Geo Tracker or Sidekick for towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing