Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Sewer smell when A/C is running
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sewer smell when A/C is running

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Lesli

Grants Pass, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

want2camp247 wrote:

I agree with what Gary n Vicky said. We have a 26bh (same trailer) and when we left the gray tank valve open we would get the sewer smell in the trailer when the AC was running and it was unbearable.
I learned to leave a trap on the sewer hose right before it goes into the hook up which fills up with gray water and keeps the sewer smells underground where they belong.

I'm new to RVing and I seem to have the same problem in my MH. I'm not at all clear what you're talking about when you say you "leave a trap on the sewer hose right before it goes into the hook up which fills up with gray water and keeps the sewer smells underground where they belong".

Can you either post a picture, or a link to the product (trap), or tell me more about it so I can get my situation rectified.

Thanks so much!

Smiles,
Lesli

Smiles,
Lesli

Blue Jeans and Flip Flops -- Celebrating the RV Lifestyle

RV Remodels | RV Organization

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lesli wrote:

want2camp247 wrote:

I learned to leave a trap on the sewer hose right before it goes into the hook up which fills up with gray water and keeps the sewer smells underground where they belong.

Can you either post a picture, or a link to the product (trap), or tell me more about it so I can get my situation rectified.

Lesli,
I think what is being described is to leave a "droop" in your drain hose before it's inserted into the sewer hookup pipe. You could do this by placing blocks of wood (or rocks) under the hose and allowing the hose to droop between them. The blocks should be about 3-4" tall... as tall as the hose being supported.

This will create a trap like is under your sink at home... usually referred to as a "P-Trap" or "J-Trap" depending on the orientation of the trap. The water in the "trap" will block gases from moving upline into your camper. I hope this helps!

I've never done this as we've not camped at a lot of CGs with sewer hook up. It sould only be a problem if you hook up and leave your grey water valve open to drain into the sewer all the time. An alternative would be to store your water in the tanks then dump them periodically.... close the valve when not dumping the tanks.

Some "park model" campers may not have grey/black tanks installed... but I would expect they have traps in the drain lines to prevent this from happening.

Happy camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

htwheelz67

orange county

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/10 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most trailers have mechanical vents (insta vents) in certain locations like under lav sinks or wherever there is a drain and no vent out the roof. They can come loose as they screw in and can let sewer gasses out, especially when everything is closed and the A/C is running. I had the same problem and found a loose insta-vent under the lav sink. Open cubbards under sinks etc and smell, if its strong look for a vent. Also dry traps can do that too, run each fixture for a few seconds to fill traps with water.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Sewer smell when A/C is running
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS