Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Extension for ramp on toy hauler
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Extension for ramp on toy hauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
muddkattgowfo

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/09 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting to this one a little late but here is my experience -

I have a '99 Weekend Warrior that has drop axles in it. To get my quads out to where I Camp and keep it level with my F250 I had to not only Flip the axles but put the springs on top of them for proper clearance. All works great for the off road stuff.

Then one day I decided to put My Harley in the trailer to go for a trip across country. It always fit before, yeah that ramp got really steep and I slammed the bike into the top of the ramp. Ramp is pretty steep now. My solution to this was to use my Scorpion Ramp I use to get the bike into my truck, for loading the TH. It's great as it folds up and stores nicely in the trailer. With the traction on the ramp rain is not an issue. I have seen various pieces of wood/metal that are not attached to the trailers get kicked out from under the M/C wheel and hit someone behind when the wheel spins.

Link - http://www.scorpionramp.com/

The ramp new is pricey but if you search Craigs list that is where I found mine.

And on a side note I find much more amuesment watching the Boat Ramp in the afternoon after a long day in the Sun and people have forgotten how to back a trailer and recover the boat. IMHO

bronco78

Kempner Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/09 04:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maregold wrote:

The angle at the top of the ramp is a bear. The bottom of the bike scrapes at that point. What we will try next is a 2x6 on the ground under the ramp edge, and a piece of plywood at the bridge. A diamond plate extension will probably be a more permanent fix. The Outback is very high off the ground.

I load both street bikes and dirt bikes in my Rampage.. The street bikes will drag the fairings at the ramp hinge if not accounted for.
My solution was easy as I own several aluminum ramps used to load bikes in my Truck bed.

So I place a double stack of 4x4’s (on hand for everyday use in the trailer world) under each corner of the ramp. This fixes the break over angle at the ramp hinge. Then place the aluminum ramp from the ground to the trailer ramp, and the bikes go up nice and smooth. These ramps weigh a mere 4 or 5 pounds, and I store them in the roof ladder or along an interior wall if unsure about the area I’m in (theft)

Erik Marquez, G3 SGM, 1ST CAV DIV, Fort Hood Texas...
Rampage 260,oh what a toy to have for my other toys

Doughboy12

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/09 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

928gt wrote:

shepcal wrote:

928gt, I've read the above posts over several times and don't know where you are coming from?? I don't see where this gentleman flipped his springs or raised his TH, he was just having a problem loading his Goldwing. The other posts were much more informative.
Shep

Hi Shep,

You should read them again, I never did say or imply the OP did any if this (flipping/raising). I also gave the OP some ideas to help with the issue they were having, which I hope was at least a little informative and one of many possible solutions for their issue.

The topic simply reminded me of what I had noticed over the past few years of Toy Hauler ramps getting steeper and steeper due to the current design trends by the manufacturers. This was just an observation and opinion posted within the context of the conversation, nothing more.

AND, yes it is very amusing watching some people trying to load their toys in the some of these hijacker toyhaulers I see more and more on the market. BUT, guess what.. you can always bet that as I am chuckling at them trying to get them in there I am always the first one walking over to give them a hand, even in the pouring rain.

You, my friend, are not alone...

1100Sabre

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/09 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is one reason we liked the KZ. It is low to the ground so the ramp is not very steep, even if loading/unloading when not level. The ramp door has a flip over extension at the top and one also at the gap.

Oh, and if it's wet, it can be a bit tricky to load. I usually get it in a bit sideways if the tires are wet but I still have enough room to move around in the garage to straighten the bike out.

2009 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab DRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

Maregold

Livonia, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The angle at the top of the ramp is a bear. The bottom of the bike scrapes at that point. What we will try next is a 2x6 on the ground under the ramp edge, and a piece of plywood at the bridge. A diamond plate extension will probably be a more permanent fix. The Outback is very high off the ground.

Dieselgem

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/09 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maregold wrote:

I just put a loose piece of EZ track about 12" long under the ramp between the ramp and the unit. I have two sections one for each side. I go in and out without any problems. I did add an additional bumper on each side of the rear of my unit for ground conditions.

I place it where the red line is located.

08-KZ Escalade 41'CKS Escalade
2008 F450 Super Duty Truck
2003 FLSTS
2003 FLSTC (Wife's)

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shepcal wrote:

928gt, I've read the above posts over several times and don't know where you are coming from?? I don't see where this gentleman flipped his springs or raised his TH, he was just having a problem loading his Goldwing. The other posts were much more informative.
Shep

Hi Shep,

You should read them again, I never did say or imply the OP did any if this (flipping/raising). I also gave the OP some ideas to help with the issue they were having, which I hope was at least a little informative and one of many possible solutions for their issue.

The topic simply reminded me of what I had noticed over the past few years of Toy Hauler ramps getting steeper and steeper due to the current design trends by the manufacturers. This was just an observation and opinion posted within the context of the conversation, nothing more.

AND, yes it is very amusing watching some people trying to load their toys in the some of these hijacker toyhaulers I see more and more on the market. BUT, guess what.. you can always bet that as I am chuckling at them trying to get them in there I am always the first one walking over to give them a hand, even in the pouring rain.

David

2007 Weekend Warrior LE3505 Billet Edition
2005 F-350 DRW CC LB 4x4 Tow Boss w/Tow Command

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/09 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olddesertrider wrote:

I hope I don't "ruffle your feathers"..

No worries about ruffling my feathers, forums like this are a place to share experiences, information, and opinions. There is nothing that can be typed here that will ruffle my feathers. It is afterall a "discussion forum".

olddesertrider wrote:

but where you are located has a lot to do with your narrow view of toyhauler design.

That is where you are wrong and statements like that are the epitome of a "narrow view". My current location (you have no clue where I have lived or used Toy Haulers and/or loaded toys throughout my life), has nothing to do with my views, be they narrow in your opinion or not. The west coast doesn't have any more special requirements for loading, towing or getting to destinations (civilized or remote) then most areas of the US or the world, if you think that you really should get out of the area a little more. The posts like yours actually show the opposite, somehow a few people from the west coast that think it has special requirements for Toy Haulers and this shows a much more narrow view. When I think of requirements or designs they are more out of the box than just in one little sand box on the west coast.

olddesertrider wrote:

Hope this helps with your understanding of TH design

Thanks, but I don't need any help with understanding TH design, my in depth understanding of car hauler design, TH design, trailer design in general, plus decades of loading/towing toys/vehicles of all types in many varied environments is what prompted my observation.

You can say whatever you like, but when a Toy Hauler is designed to have a ramp at pretty much a 45 degree angle when level I think it is not smart, no matter what you are loading into it. In my opinion it is a poor design and it doesn't matter which coast, what state or even what country it is used in.

As with anything there is a happy medium. It is a no brainer that a tradional low car hauler is basically not appropriate for anything but smooth paved relatively flat roads. However, I do find it odd that the longest, best known, most successful (and THE most popular on the west coast) Toy Hauler company that was copied by all others has (well had) trived for literally decades with a design that is much lower than current trends and even some of their own later designs. It wasn't until the 2007 model year did WW really start making taller THs with steeper ramps starting with the FTL and CL and then later with the LEDs, and other garage models. Had they really gotten such a simple part of the design so wrong for almost 20 years??? Sure they did axle flips for people as an option, but whether most will admit it or not, the majority did it because it was "cool". No different from all the lifted trucks you see everywhere, sure a scant few really do need and use the extra ground clearance, but that is a small minority.

As you stated you didn't know anyone that said they just did it for looks and I truly beleive you. The problem is most will never admit it, even to themselves.

BTW, I can say this as former liftoholic myself :-), but experiance has taught me better. For the most part all most ever accomplish with lifting their trucks and or trailers is added stress on suspension components resulting it accelerated wear/failures and greatly reduced stability.

To the OP, I apologize that my orignal simple little comment caused such a flare of posts taking your thread off topic. I will refrain further comment in this thread and my sincere wishes for a solution to the loading problem you are having, trust me you are not alone.

* This post was edited 11/08/09 09:23pm by 928gt *

In The Wind

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/09 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it to our toy hauler. Click on our blog to see it.
Good luck to you.

http://www.AdventuresInTheWind.blogspot.com

2001 H-D Road King
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2011 Keystone Fuzion 360 Toy-Hauler

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

54ktmracer1

michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a chopper, bout 4 1/4in off the ground. i put blocks under the landing t gear to rise the trailer hi up front. also the kids and i race motorcross and some of the places we go in and outa i would`nt want nottin lower. scary thought.the dirt bikes i ride up. chopper push up ( foot clutch-hand shift)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Extension for ramp on toy hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS