Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Workhorse Air Intake and rain

Posted By: dgbard on 11/24/09 09:33pm

I have 2004 Newmar Kountry Star, on a Workhorse W22 chassis. It has a large diameter plastic pipe, called a tuba, which brings air from the front of the motorhome to the engine air intake. Several times when driving in the rain, the engine will miss under load or high rpm. During the last trip, the check engine light came on. After setting a few days, when started the light went out. I took it to a Workhorse repair center, and the error log, said it was the air intake module which tested fine. They ask about the weather and say that they have seen mods to the tuba to prevent any moisture from coming in while driving in the rain. And this was a common problem they had seen before with the tuba intake. Does anyone have any information or ideas on how to modify the tuba intake to prevent moisture from getting in?

D.G.Bard

Posted By: othertonka on 11/24/09 09:51pm

I am not aware of the modifications but Newmar should be aware. Give them a call. I would in the meantime, remove the filter media and check for dampness or water logged and replace it if needed. You might take a look at the location of the intake screen in relations to the grill opening of the newmar. If it is in the path of a direct opening, that might be the place to start looking for somehow to deflect the rain or reposition the intake screen. The filter comes out by flipping the clips of the housing and pulling it backwards to expose the filter.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Posted By: PackerBacker on 11/25/09 03:39am

I've driven mine in torrential rain and haven't had a problem. It's an 09 that we've had for a year so maybe it already has 'the fix'.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

Posted By: pulsar on 11/25/09 05:51am

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Posted By: 1fastdad on 11/25/09 06:33am

On my 05 Dolphin I had the same problem and the water was coming in around the hood opening. I installed a rubber bulb seal around the opening and have not had the problem again and that was two years ago.

Posted By: newxmar on 11/25/09 06:39am

We have a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star with the Workhorse chassis. Had the same problem. Was close to the factory (about 3 years ago). Met with the service manager and he pulled out a fix with a list of parts from his file cabinet. Fix consists of some large diameter rubber elbows and a straight section of steel tubing plus clamps plus instructions. This moved the intake way up topped by an elbow directed towards the rear so the intake was way above the grill opening. The assembly sort of shakes, but this is OK.

They could not fit me in for service without an appointment, so they gave us the parts and arranged for the dealer to install. We were still under the three year warranty.

Looked like it worked, then the miss in the rain came back. Found that when the air filter was replaced the cover was not installed correctly. Front tire was evidently throwing water into the inproperly assembled filter cover joint.

Does it now work under all conditions?? Haven't driven in rain for some time to know.

Suggest you call Newmar and mention that they have a kit for this. Look at your under wheel well filter cover installlation. This filter is in an tough to see location. Also suggest you look at some newer Newmar/Workhorse coaches in your dealer's lot or in your park. What are they doing now in a new unit???? (Think I will take a look in the park here in FL)

Posted By: PF&PM on 11/25/09 07:58pm

Ours has had the tuba extension but the surging problem still happens in the rain. I think the earlier suggestion about sealing the hood gap might be the answer..

2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog, Two teenage boys..we get around ! Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

Posted By: Greyghost on 11/25/09 01:41pm

We have an 04 Mountain Aire on a W22 chassis and have had similar problems two times in torrential rain. The second time the engine check light came on. I drove another 200 miles to get through the storm and and to a camp ground. Let it sit for an hour and restarted the engine, no more check light. Based on the information posted here, I plan on calling Newmar and requesting the parts to perform the U/G.

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD,
Jewel and Clifford Bouvier Des Flandres

Posted By: purplekeenah on 11/25/09 02:37pm

In 2005 I remedied the problem by ordering a deflector that Winnebago carries in their parts inventory. Someone on this forum suggested the source, it was inexpensive, and obviously has worked very well. The part attaches to the top of the tuba, a deflector guard of sorts to prevent a direct route for water to get into the tuba. I don't have a part number available, it's filed away in the rig which is in hibernation for the winter in a cave.
Check with Winnebago.

2007 Newmar Ventana 3936
330 Cummins
2013 Chevy Equinox

Posted By: Deen on 11/25/09 03:47pm

dgbard wrote:

I have 2004 Newmar Kountry Star, on a Workhorse W22 chassis. It has a large diameter plastic pipe, called a tuba, which brings air from the front of the motorhome to the engine air intake. Several times when driving in the rain, the engine will miss under load or high rpm. During the last trip, the check engine light came on. After setting a few days, when started the light went out. I took it to a Workhorse repair center, and the error log, said it was the air intake module which tested fine. They ask about the weather and say that they have seen mods to the tuba to prevent any moisture from coming in while driving in the rain. And this was a common problem they had seen before with the tuba intake. Does anyone have any information or ideas on how to modify the tuba intake to prevent moisture from getting in?
Newmar/Workhorse used to have a solution to the problem. Have you called them?

Posted By: coffebreak on 11/25/09 10:36am

had that problem also and found that most of the water was coming from the down stroke of te wiper blade throwing water in front of the hood opening and than the wind force was pushing it through the crack where the hood closes against the body and into the tuba.
bought a 1/2 in thick by 1in wide white weather stripping (foam type peel and stick) and lined the entire top of where the hood meets the body so now when the hood closes it pushes into the weather seal forming a tight gasket. never had the problem again.
if you need a picture let me know, sometimes its hard to explain it.

Posted By: PackerBacker on 11/25/09 10:47am

coffebreak wrote:

had that problem also and found that most of the water was coming from the down stroke of te wiper blade throwing water in front of the hood opening and than the wind force was pushing it through the crack where the hood closes against the body and into the tuba.

That's good info to know for future reference.

Posted By: 22%Over on 11/25/09 11:38am

Don, Check out Oemys Performance

There are alot of pictures of this modification and you can see if it would work for you. Dale is a real good guy and will answer any question you have by phone or e-mail.

Posted By: garym114 on 11/25/09 08:10am

Long time problem with Ford V10 engine until they came out with a fix. Owners used to travel with 3 or 4 air filters so they could keep going after the one in service got soaked.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Posted By: Glenn Cooper on 11/26/09 09:26pm

Also about that time frame some of the air filter clam shell did NOT seal
real well. Clam shell being the two piece around the air filter,that has
to be opened to check or replace the air. Coop

Posted By: the trippers on 11/26/09 10:52am

Have a 2006 Southwind, W-22, and have driven in many down-pours in the Rocky Mtns without a problem. Have had problems though in the past with cars that died in heavy rain, it was the distributor getting wet that caused the failure.

2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 11/26/09 11:47am

Mine has the air intake up at the top of the engine compartment. The big black tube also has a drain at the bottom with a rubber valve that allows the water to drain out.
That rubber valve has to be squeezed every now and then as it tends to stick together.
I've driven in some terrible downpours and never had a problem.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Print  |  Close