Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Suggestions for camping gear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Suggestions for camping gear

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jtsarby

Jackson

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After quite a bit of research I purchased a Kodiak Flex Bow tent yesterday. I grew up camping and have camped on and off with my family over the past couple of years. We looked a buying a popup but decided to go the tent route instead. I purchased the 14 x 10 model. I think it will be fine for me, my wife and two small boys.

Right now I am at ground zero. The tent is the first purchase out of many that I will need to make to get everything for camping. One of the nice things I can remember about camping as a child is the ability to up and go whenever we wanted. With our camper everything was packed and ready to go at a moments notice. That is my goal with tent camping. I am trying to figure out a convenient storage system with all of our camping stuff that can be quickly loaded for a weekend trip.

I downloaded a checklist that should help me with all the things we need to buy. For those of you who are serious family tent campers. What are some of the things you would refer to a necessities?

wcbass

Our Summer Home: Yellowstone Natl Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/10 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something that helps us stay organized when tent camping is our chuck box. We put our kitchen staples (plates, bowls, pots/pans, etc.) in it, and it's always ready to go.

You can buy one:

A chuck box you can buy.

Or improvise. We bought a plastic tub & created our own chuck box.

Click here for more info.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get many more ideas & suggestions. Have fun! You'll be creating memories your children will cherish.

2011 Cameo 35SB3 Fifth wheel
2015 Ford F350 4x4
Click here to visit our Fulltime RVer Web Page

jtsarby

Jackson

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome wcbass! That is exactly what I am talking about. Great suggestion. I was going to throw everything in a plastic container and that keeps everything organized. I look forward to what everyone has to suggest.

Jason

frank6160

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will need lighting. I use and suggest a Coleman liquid fuel for outside and there are some great battery powered lanterns for use inside tent. The plastic tubs are great for storing everything. I have several. Sleeping gear will be your next thing along with cooking.

southernkilowatt

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. Break it down into small groups. You have the tent so "Shelter" is covered. Next is-
"Cooking"- A dutch oven, Pot, frying pan, (try to think of meals that can be cooked in one pot. Plates (Or paper) knives,forks,spoons. Cooking utensils. Salt,pepper. Plastic cups. Dishsoap. Rag/washcloth. All will fit nicely in a chuckbox.

"Sleeping"- Sleeping bags, bedroll, air mattress? sleeping pad.
"Heating"- Firestarter, firestick,small ax, small shovel.
"Lighting"- Coleman Lantern, flashlights, glow stick, battery lantern for the tent.
"Clothes"- DRY SOCKS!
"Washing"- Soap, towels, shampoo
"Firstaid"- A good first aid kit, and a place to put any perscriptions.
"Lounging"- Good comfortable folding chairs.
Definatley take a 10 x 12 Tarp and rope.
A good sharp knife.
A pad and pen. After/ during your first outing, write down all the things you wish you had brought. Make a note of all the things you didnt need and leave them at home the next time.
"A good attitude"- Very important! Be prepared for wind, and rain.
And above all else, have fun exploring and enjoying nature!
For some that may be too much, for others not enough. Only you can decide what you want to take and what you may need.
Hope that helps! and I hope you have a great time!
Dave

coloradodave

Colorado Springs, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good set of basic tools, axe, saw, hammer, screwdrivers, knife, duct tape, etc.

rain/snow gear depending on weather, where we camp, anything is possible any time of the year.

sort of that old scout motto of be prepared.

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

WTW

Lakeland

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small or large open trailer to keep all your tubs, tents and such ready to go at any time.

Work/live Lakeland
Fish/play Port Charlotte
Two little girls and mom + me
Aerolite Hybrid 25QB

thankschub

ri

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought that same tent and used it for a 1 month vacation trip. It performed flawlessly in all types of weather and 45 mph winds at Assateague Island. The two things we really appreciated for the tent were a small electric heater/fan and a Luggable Loo.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa........jsp?id=0009518515746a&type=product&cmCat

buta4

MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you research, try Cabela's. Yheir online store has everything!!

Ray

jtsarby

Jackson

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stopped by Gander MTN today and tried out one of their zero gravity cots. I really liked it. I also like the idea of having storage under the cot. It seems like it would be a better option than an air mattress. My only concern is staying warm during colder nights.

We are going back and forth on getting some sort of porta potty. My wife likes the idea of a porta potty with one of those potty/shower tents. I am not so sure.

I am also looking at some chuck box plans. Seems like a good way to keep all your kitchen stuff organized.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Suggestions for camping gear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS