Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What year did Chevy and Ford add EFI ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What year did Chevy and Ford add EFI ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/10 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I recall seeing 89 Chevies with TBI and carbs. I think the change was during the model year.

First year for EFI was 1987...there's a 1987 GMC wrecker where Liz works, it has a TBI 454. Some trucks/RV's had carbs until at least 1990...my cousin's service truck (formerly a Snap-On truck) is a 1990 GMC with a carb'd 454 and a TH-475.

Quote:

If you have a pump in the tank, you have throttle body injection

My wife and I have owned MULTIPLE vehicles with in-tank fuel pumps and carbuerators!

Quote:

Be aware that at least one year the 460 EFI Oshkosh chassis had a 3 speed C6 transmission.

A C6 could be ordered until 1994 on HD F-series, Econolines, and F53 chassis.

Quote:

I think 96 was the 1st year for the Vortec big block Chevy. My 97 has the multi-port injection

It was, though some had TBI as late as 1999.

Ford phased EFI in over several years...I've seen a couple of 86's with MPI 302's...might even have been available late in 1985. The smaller engines (300 I-6 and 302) in light-duty trucks got it first, the 460 got it last. I've seen several 1988-89 F-350's and 450's with carb'd engines. I have never seen a TBI 460...Ford went to MPI on almost everything (with the notable exception of the 300 inline-six) pretty early on.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/10 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An engine with EFI is not necessarily going to last longer. Internally, a 460 Ford is a 460 Ford, there were no major internal changes when fuel injection was put on.

It will likely pollute less (which was why the manufacturers were forced to add the expense of electronic fuel injection). It will likely get better mileage (because the pollute less solution was to burn less fuel). It may or may not give you better performance.

On the other hand, a 7400 Vortec is a major improvement over either a 454 with a carb, or a 454 with TBI fuel injection (mechanical or electronic) because it got heads with better volumetrics. But it is still not likely to last longer.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/10 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

Quote:

I recall seeing 89 Chevies with TBI and carbs. I think the change was during the model year.

First year for EFI was 1987...there's a 1987 GMC wrecker where Liz works, it has a TBI 454. Some trucks/RV's had carbs until at least 1990...my cousin's service truck (formerly a Snap-On truck) is a 1990 GMC with a carb'd 454 and a TH-475.

Quote:

If you have a pump in the tank, you have throttle body injection

My wife and I have owned MULTIPLE vehicles with in-tank fuel pumps and carbuerators!

Quote:

Be aware that at least one year the 460 EFI Oshkosh chassis had a 3 speed C6 transmission.

A C6 could be ordered until 1994 on HD F-series, Econolines, and F53 chassis.

Quote:

I think 96 was the 1st year for the Vortec big block Chevy. My 97 has the multi-port injection

It was, though some had TBI as late as 1999.

Ford phased EFI in over several years...I've seen a couple of 86's with MPI 302's...might even have been available late in 1985. The smaller engines (300 I-6 and 302) in light-duty trucks got it first, the 460 got it last. I've seen several 1988-89 F-350's and 450's with carb'd engines. I have never seen a TBI 460...Ford went to MPI on almost everything (with the notable exception of the 300 inline-six) pretty early on.

Ford never put TBI on a 460.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/10 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

LVJ58 wrote:

My neighbor has a 91 HMC on the Oshkosh chassis with the Ford 460 and it has the port injection. The Oshkosh seemed to be a pretty solid chassis.

Be aware that at least one year the 460 EFI Oshkosh chassis had a 3 speed C6 transmission. Don't think Oshkosh ever used the E4OD, 4 speed OD transmission. Personally I wouldn't be interested in a MH with out OD.

Richard

I would not "beware" of a C-6. It is a more solid transmission than the earliest E4OD. The engine will cruise at a higher RPM without overdrive, and fuel mileage may be less.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/10 12:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By now, an early E4OD has probably been replaced or rebuilt.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What year did Chevy and Ford add EFI ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS