Woodalls Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: carrying a boat with a TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> carrying a boat with a TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
retired1

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/10 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would like to get a boat(not a portaboat) to carry with us on a rack on our truck and still be able to tow our TT. Any first hand experience. Need special rack. Hard to load-unload, how to launch and retreive, etc.

Retired1

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/10 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a 12 ft, Smokercraft Aluminum car top boat on top of our mini van using a THULE rack. Two straps hold it down fast. We use a Cabela's canoe cart to walk out boat to and from the lake. This has worked surprisingly well for us for almost ten years now. I can load the boat by myself placing the boat bow first upside down on rear of rack and lifting and wiggling the back half forward into it's resting spot on rack. Sorry, I'm not smart enough to do pictures. The coolest thing about this is trolling up to the boat ramp with cart attached and jumping out of the boat and walking up the ramp with my daughter on the middle seata S others are backing their rigs down. It rolls easy providing load is balanced equally. Feel free to send me a private E mail for further questions. Best of luck.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need more info ?
Do you have a cap on your truck?
what kind of boat and how long ?

I carry two kayaks and one canoe on mine. The overhang of my 18 foot kayaks would hit the trailer when I make a turn, so I have a rack on the cab roof as well as the truck cap roof so I can keep the boats way forwards with the overhang over the front.
Another option is a front mounted hitch with a T mount. They make some very strong ones now.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Oldtymeflyr

Littleton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight is probably not an issue. Putting 200 lbs on top of a tow rig is tough. We have used the Yakima rack and it will work but a couple of strong people are necessary to get a boat on top of a truck or in our case it was a Suburban.

Most Aluminum boats that are manageable are going to be 100 to 150 lbs. We have a Gregor 12 foot, its heavy for a 12 footer and I believe it weighs 125lbs.

We now have and Eide Boat Loader and that is the easiest and it was designed precisely for this purpose. You may want to do Google search and see how it works. They are available on Craigslist for a reasonable amount.

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've pulled my TT 600+ miles while carrying a 12' Jonboat and two kayaks on the roof of the tow vehicle. Thule rack system, with one kayak on a Thule kayak cradle, and the jonboat upsidedown, flat on the rack, with the seakayak flat on top of the jonboat. my only problem was that the jonboat blocked my EZPass, and it took me two months to get my toll account squared away!

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/10 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Size matters
Depending on the size of the boat, you could get some racks for the back of your truck, and as long as it clears the front of the TT, you should be fine.

Weight will be an issue, as now you are adding that to your overall weight, which will reduce your towing capacity numbers.

A light aluminum skif would be easy enough to load and unload (as long as you were away from the TT), by just pulling it off the rear of the truck.

There are some special racks that will really make getting the boat off quite easy, but you'll be spending $$ for them. Depending on your needs, you should be fine with a 12-14' alum. skiff, with a 10-15 HP outboard.

happy Camping

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

4x4Bob

California.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We finally got tired of the choice between towing the boat/trailer or the TT. So I sold the boat/trailer combo and then had rack welded that fit the bed of the truck. Then installed a Edie automatic boat loader on the rack. The loader pulls our 12 foot Valco up and then sits it back down when we arrive. I also installed mounts on the back of the boat for fold down legs with wheels. Then I can tow the boat and launch it with the truck. The only down side is the fact that my Wife catches more fish then I do.

Bob

2001 2500 Silverado LS 4x4 6.0, 4.10
2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS
Cocktails for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2
--------------------
End of dirt road, no signs in sight, sun going down: I am not lost, just getting ready to go camping.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry my 12" jon boat in the bed of the truck with the tailgate up. The angle clears the front of the trailer by a little over a foot. I have tested all possible angles and it will not hit the trailer.

Sometimes there is no need for racks or anything else just load it and go.

alageezer

seale, al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/10 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were in Alaska back in the 80's, I carried a 12 ft aluminum on top of a homebuilt wooden rack, 8 hp in the bed, and pulled a small popup. Did it all with a Ford Ranger with a 2L 4 cylinder motor.

Had great times with that rig.

While in Oregon last year, I watched a guy with a neat rig. He backed his truck down to the waters edge, took his motor off and loaded it in the back of the truck. He then backed the boat up to the truck, hooked it to a rail of some kind, run a rope out to the nose of the boat, and hit a switch. A winch picked the front of the boat up and over, then picked the back up and slid it all up on the rack. Whole operation took about five minutes, with the only effort being loading the motor into the truck. Pretty neat deal.

* This post was edited 05/07/10 02:50pm by alageezer *

2011 Bounder Classic

desertmoose

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a bit different approach. We put our 12' Gregor inside the trailer... (toyhauler)

Real easy to load using the winch on the trailer to crank it up the ramp.

Sam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> carrying a boat with a TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS