Woodalls Open Roads Forum: states that accept out of state c2 prescriptions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> states that accept out of state c2 prescriptions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Rldsl

Central AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a list anywhere of states that will allow pharmacists to fill out of state C2 narcotic prescriptions?
My local pharmacist was on the phone for a long time today trying to locate me a state in the rough are where we are going to be in about a month, but it's going to be hard to just plan travels around prescription fills. I know we can get it filled in Nevada now, but I don't know about any other states and if we decide to change travel plans I may not be able to get my medication.
Thanks------Robert

'1984 King of the road 5th wheel 28ft, used , but not abused. Starting it's second life one piece at a time.

fullautodave

currently in Rogers, Ar

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the problem is not finding a state to fill the script, it's that most states won't take a phone call or a fax in script. I call my Doctor and he sends me a handwritten script to where I am at, only takes three or four days, and I have never had a problem getting narcotics filled. Just my experience.

2009 Mobile Suites TKSB3
2008 Ford F-450 Superduty
2009 Jeep Rubicon toad
1999 Bigfoot C1011FR

Rldsl

Central AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fullautodave wrote:

I think the problem is not finding a state to fill the script, it's that most states won't take a phone call or a fax in script. I call my Doctor and he sends me a handwritten script to where I am at, only takes three or four days, and I have never had a problem getting narcotics filled. Just my experience.

My doctor went ahead and gave me an extra that was post dated for next month to carry with so I already have a hard copy, byt my local pharmacist called out to California where we'll be staying at first and they said no go. and she said she knew already that you couldn't do it in TX. so it's a state by state thing on the class 2 narcotics. Are you thinking basic narcotics or class 2 narcotics?
They don't make as big a fuss over the basic narcotics vicodin and such, but things like morphine they get pretty darn fussy over. Just getting the things filled locally is a battle half the time ( usually just trying to make sure a pharmacist isn't trying to rip you off, it took a long time to find a local pharmacy where they weren't constantly trying to skim on those things)

tvfrfireman

Portland, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/10 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Left Oregon last winter for our trip to get away from winter with three one month prescriptions in hand. We were in California when I needed my medication filled and found out the secure form I had was no good. We had to drive 180 miles to Arizona to get it filled. My doctor was suprised and didn't have a clue to what other states require. I am tired of that ball and chain and am getting a pain pump installed which only needs to be filled every 6 months and without the side effects. Best of luck.

nodepositnoreturn

Up state NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/10 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi do some research on the pain pump web site. They can be filled for 3 months (the large ones) and a person still requires oral meds for pain, although not nearly as much..
It is a life saver for me.
http://www.medtronic.com/

2003 Dodge Dually Cummins 4x4, HO, Stock, Amsoil throughout,Amsoil double bypass oil filter.Nittos,Bilsein steering,75,000 EZ miles.Lance 2005 1055.Solar, Loaded.

Rldsl

Central AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/10 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those pain pumps look pretty darn neat, but I was just reading up on the warnings and it looks like i'd better stay clear of the things unfortunately. I still enjoy playing with my welders and plasma cutter a LOT, and the warnings say to stay clear of any strong sources of electromagnetic energy. Heck I was sitting there in the mud the other day getting small zaps as I was reinforcing the rear hitch for my mobility scooter lift on the back of my 5er with my son. I've got a bad feeling that probably wouldn't fare too well with one of those things.
Looks like I'm probably stuck with the current *ball and chain*. Pretty bad, the insurance company had to send one of their computer generated teasers a few months back saying, get your MS contin from our mail order pharmacy 90 days at a time... it was just randomly spitting out names of drugs I was regularly purchasing, nobody had actually bothered to check if they could do that.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/10 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go through a chain pharmacy, like CVS, you might/should be able to do ONE transfer. For example, if I get an original fill in a Michigan CVS, I then can get it refilled in any Florida CVS. And I can continue to get refills at that one particular Florida CVS location. But I can't get it transfered a second time to another Florida location, and that particular script is also no longer good when I return to Michigan i.e. no transfers back to the original pharmacy. I do think Michigan law has less flexibility than some other states, so there might be some slight differences. There are other chain pharmacies like Walgreens. If there is one near you, I would check with them. Because they are all over the country, they encounter this on a daily basis.

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/10 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW is disabled and has been on Sch II drugs for some years now. We FT and spend May through Oct on the road while staying in one location during the winter months. Anyway we've only had a problem once with a local, non chain, pharmacy in Hinckley, MN where the pharmacist said he wasn't comfortable filling narcotics scripts for a stranger. I don't have a problem with that since it's his individual license that's on the line.

Anyway, we have all of our scripts filled at Walgreens which we find has the best, in our opinion, footprint across the country. We also have used Walmart (though Walmart cannot have a pharmacy operation in its N. Dak. stores). Your Rx profile is available on line through both of these operations so it is easy for an individually licensed pharmacy in State X to see that, #1 you get these Rx's filled every month and #2 that his/her fellow company pharmacists found you to be trustworthy etc. Have never had a single problem over the years getting Sch II's filled at either chain and we have had them filled in nearly all of the lower 48.

When it's getting near time to get the scripts filled, I usually figure out where we will be at that time and locate a Walgreens ahead of time. I call and identify my wife as the patient and then tell them that I'll be in next Tuesday or whatever and that I have scripts for x quantity of y strength, z drug and that I'm giving them a heads up so they'll have enough. (If they don't have sufficient quantity, you have a whole other set of problems. Since it's a Sch II, they can only order from their supplier with an original paper order - just like your Rx has to be an original - and since they can't order by phone or fax etc., it just takes longer and you don't want to take a partial fill because with Sch II's, you will lose the balance of your prescription.

Jim/Rosemary/Sandy - what you are speaking of - drugs that Fed law allows for only a one time transfer, etc., are Sch IV narcotics. Different rules and easier than the rules for Sch II's. FYI.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/10 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something new that may benefit those of us who travel and need controlled scripts filled:

New DEA guidelines

The FDA is developing/approving secure programs so doctors can provide electronic scripts for controlled drugs, up to this point you have to have the written script presented to the pharmacy. This should eliminate the problem with being out of state and away from the family doctor when a prescription needs to be refilled.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Elwoodj

Decatur, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/10 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had our scripts filled at Sam's which is in many states. So when we are out of state I find a Sam's and they go online and refill my needed script. We are not away more than 3 months - or 4 so seems to take care of my pain pills too. Take with us 3 months worth is usually enough to cover us.

Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> states that accept out of state c2 prescriptions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS