Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: full timers domicile
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> full timers domicile

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
grizz_chaser

Full timing on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have researched which state to use as our domicile while going full time, but need some advice. I am thinking of either South Dakota or Texas. I have seen on other post's that some say one state or the other is the best choice for them but they never want to say why. With the things I have thought of to check I can not see a real advantage of one over the other. So my questions are, if you researched these two states what was your reasons for picking one over the other? I have seen where some talk about health insurance, is this because of your policy costs or the type of coverage you will recieve in the state you chose? The same thing goes for for full timers vehicle and RV insurance, was there a large difference? Thank you all in advance for any thoughts you can share. We are trying to sell our S&B so we still have some time to make a decission. Thanks again.

2003 Monaco Windsor 40' PST class A diesel pusher
2007 Jeep Liberty toad
Full timing living the life

edatlanta

Panama City, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/11 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I chose Alabama which is a state that isn't mentioned. My reasons, other than the fact that I have relatives in Alabama, were:
low income taxes
low license/taxes on vehicles and RV's

I know some states that are popular for RV'ers to choose have no income taxes, etc., but with the cost of traveling to those states to get licenses the first time and paying for a mail service to receive all mail not to mention the time lag to get the mail, I didn't feel the savings for me was enough to justify the extra work involved.

Ed

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/11 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a big difference in vehicle insurance. It is best to call your health insurance company and ask them your questions.

BTW I am a real Texan and after looking at the options, I went to SD

JoeGood988

S.Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/11 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with South Dakota...no state income tax, no personal property tax, no vehicle inspections, insurance costs were less also. You need to obtain a mail forwarding company to get a physical address. Then it's off to the DMV to get new drivers licenses. From there it down to the court house to transfer titles and get new plates. The mail forwarding company can be a big help...sort all the junk mail for you, get renewal stickers for you vehicles, voting information, etc. We pay $150 a year for mail forwarding service...well worth it.

2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/11 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto to all of Joe's reasons - plus (for us) being mostly west coast kind of folks, it's more convenient for us to get to South Dakota once in a while than Florida, for example. Establishing a domicile took all of two days, but we could have done it in one if we'd been industrious. Criteria are a little more stringent now than they used to be, but in SD the state and various counties are still making it possible for fulltimers to establish a domicile with a minimum of fuss. A good mail forwarding service will also point you in all the right directions.

One thing - when you drive around in the state that matches your vehicle tags, the locals won't cut you the same slack they do for tourists.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 44 of the lower 48 so far.

Gone4Good

North East

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/11 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've mentioned before that we had decided on South Dakota, but changed at the last minute to Texas. Why the switch? I was told by three different independent health insurance brokers that I needed proof of a physical address, not a mail forwarding address, to obtain health insurance. The broker affiliated with Alternative Resources (a mail forwarding service in SD) told me it would be no problem. But he said I couldn't get a rider in the policy confirming that my mail forwarding address was acceptable.

My fear is that if one of us got really sick, our insurance could be dropped based on the fact that we don't physically live in SD. That is not a risk I am willing to take.

Winnebago Sightseer 33C
Filled with the wife, cat, wine and beer.
Touring North America full-time
Blogging about it all here: http://everywhereonce.com/
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EverywhereOnce

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/11 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are all sorts of reasons to check out different states. We use Texas after spending our working lives in Penna. This works out best for us. I can't remember all the things we compared when we made the move in 2003. Healthcare premiums, pension taxes, voting priviledges, jury duty, and the place you pick that they understand fulltimers. As far as Texas vehicle inspections, this only matters when you are in Texas. States don't care about other states safety inspections.

grizz_chaser

Full timing on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/11 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank all of you for your replies. LOL Old-Biscuit. Like I had said I have been researching this and was afraid I wasn't seeing the whole picture. The only down side I can see is DL renewal which will be in Mar. and Apr. for us but to come back to the cold once every 5 yrs. wont be to unbearable. Thanks again, Mark

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/11 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with SD for all the reasons already stated.

But the biggest reason was....I refused to become a Texan! Just couldn't do that.

Besides, our DL's come due in early summer time and going back to SD every 5 yrs. to renew...what better time.

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/11 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went w/ SD for many of the reasons listed above:
- No vehicle inspection (we would've needed one for TX)
- No special drivers licence (we would've needed one for our size rig in TX)
- Lower insurance costs

The differences were minor and it was a bit of a toss-up, but that's what decided it for us.

You can do a comparison of health insurance costs at this site:
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/
NOTE/ If you're in a high-risk group (pre-existing conditions), that could change things for you (for example, the Texas High Risk Plan might make more sense for you). For us, SD was cheaper.

For car/MH insurance, just give your current agent a call and ask them
for a quote for the places you're considering.

We used Alternative Resources for our mail forwarding service and they were very helpful in getting everything organized. We did all the basic stuff (address, licence plates) via mail and took a holiday trip to the Black Hills to get our drivers licence.

Nina

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> full timers domicile
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts