Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Winterizing, Sumerizing?, and chlorination?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Winterizing, Sumerizing?, and chlorination?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
libtech

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More questions! I have a 2002 R-Vision Trail Lite Bantam 17ft.

1.)Can someone point me to a good article on how to winterize the unit including using antifreeze.

2.) What should be done to summerize in terms of the water system? Just pump the fresh water tank full and flush all the lines of the anti freeze? I assume the antifreeze will be in all the lines up to but not in either the Hot Water tank or the Fresh water tanks? It would also be in all the lines up to the taps correct? How much flushing is required? And also, is the antifreeze used dangerous is any is left and swallowed?

I turned the water on today, was changing the taps on the unit as I just bought it. And I swear I smelled something come out of the taps, almost like bug spray, maybe it was me.

3.)The previous owner told me he hasnt dechlorinated it in a few years and doesnt recommend drinking the water from the system until I do so. Make sense? And can anyone direct me to a site with good information on this?

Thanks all!

miatared

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do a search on the discussion board my friend, you will find many discussions on the subject.

Probably more on de-winterization at this time of the year.

Good luck.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the best and only way to 'declorinize' is to flush the entire system with fresh water, flush it again and again...and then again.

Winterizing...forget about it for awhile. First things first. It's summer time.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

rhochnadel

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first water fill of the season, I add a cup of chlorine bleach to 40 gallons of water and let it stand overnight. The next day I pump out all the water through all the lines and rinse with fresh water several times (until there is no more chlorine smell at the taps). Fill the system again with fresh water and you are good to go.

'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance"

libtech

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chlorine bleach hey, thank you!

Interested in winterizing because I like to read up will in advance of what needs to be done. I get something new and I like to dive right in and learn about it all. Only asked for a bit of direction as I know there is a lot of info out there and you guys might have some ideas as to what is best.

Thanks everyone!

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years I've done everything to try and make the water from our tanks drinkable. I'm pretty picky and won't drink water if it has any taste other than water.
The chlorine thing works best. For that I found pool chlorine worked the best as bleach always seemed to leave a soapy taste for a long time.
I also tried numerous filters etc. The cartridge filters worked the first time you used them, but leaving them sit for a few weeks made me nervous about bacteria growing in them. If you filter crud out of the water, then you leave it in the filter for a few weeks, packed away in a nice warm dark camper, it become the perfect home for bacteria and parasite to grow.

So, finally, I gave up... water in the tanks is for washing or flushing. Water for consumption is purchased at the store and is replenished each trip. Even the dogs get bottled water.

It's how I solved the problem of quality water and it works for us.....

Patrick and Christine
Dudley, Summer, and Sabastian, the cocker spaniels
2007 Ford F150 4X4 Max tow package
Flagstaff 8526 RLWS Classic Ultralight.

patnchris

Lake Villa, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as far as winterizing the water system, I installed one of those winterizing kits at the water pump. Winterizing consists of draining the holding tanks, draining the water heater, switching the water heater bypass valve, sticking the hose from the winterizing kit in a jug of RV antifreeze and switching on the pump. Then I go to each faucet, toilet, shower, and turn them on until the pink stuff comes out. This also winterizes the drains at the same time. Then I switch off the pump and open all the low point drains and leave them open. I did this with our first trailer, our class A motorhome, and now with our hybrid. In almost 20 years of Illinois winters I've never had damage from freeze up....It works for me.

By the way.. In case you just happen to have a jug of RV antifreeze laying around in the winter and notice that it freezes solid. DON'T WORRY!! IT'S NORMAL!!... Non toxic RV antifreeze will freeze at very low temperatures. It's protection comes from the fact that it does not expand when it freezes, therefore no cracked plumbing. (The first time I noticed this I panicked and tried to thaw everything out when it was -10 degrees.. It was like watching an old Keystone Cops film.....LOL)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Winterizing, Sumerizing?, and chlorination?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS