Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: 2010 Ford Escape
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2010 Ford Escape

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Newportnurse

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/11 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a used 2010 Ford Escape to flat tow. I did my research and Ford along with the Dinghy report said that this car is flat towable behind my RV. I followed the owners manual instructions and after the first day towing the transmission was gone. I ended up in El Paseo Texas for almost three weeks. I towed it again as instructed and ended up in VIctorville, California with my second transmission gone bad. Ford did not help me at all with a rental car and keep the car for almost three weeks before agreeing to replace the transmission for the second time. Ford kept trying to figure out how it was my fault but I followed the owners manual instructions exactly. I will never tow this car again!! It is really disappointing since I bought this car to tow and it ruined my vacation twice. I think the Dinghy Report needs to update it's information to reflect the number of people who have had problems with the Ford Escape. If anyone has information about how to deal with Ford since the car is not able to be towed as promised please let me know.

Post moved from TT Forum to Dinghy Towing Forum

Moderator - TT forum

* This post was edited 06/02/11 07:14pm by an administrator/moderator *

UWEBABY

TEMECULA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it an auto or manual trans? if auto, i didnt think that any auto could be towed unless drive shafts were disconnect or if drive wheels were on a trailer.

jcsb

Sharonville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there have been numerous postings on this forum about the problems with the Escape ever since Ford publically said it was towable 4 down. Yes it is an automatic. I for one wrote about it in March of 10 as I to was waiting for a new transmission.

Ford has before and since issued some tech bullitens about how to do it.

Subsequent postings also state that other Ford products using the same transmission have also been fried without towing.

Ford apparently still has not truely solved the problem.

Jim Hunter

Clemkad

Boston area, Massachusetts, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just adding my name to the list. I also did extensive research before buying the Ford Escape (2010) specifically for towing 4 down. First year it towed without any problems. This year it has heated up to the extent of purging and smoking - on each trip I've taken this year. Escape would not start until it cooled off. Dip stick deformed. I'm very good at following the speed, warm-up, level, etc.

Haven't had the chance to go argue with Ford but this thread gives me a lot of help. When I worked with Ford in MA, they did not understand the tranny fluid levels for towing - I had to teach them. One guy even told me that the fluid level needed to be full for driving and between the lines for towing. I told him that was ridiculous to have to change the level between towing and driving and he didn't care or understand. Didn't even take the time to look it up. Very glad Remco has an Escape solution and I may go that route.

Thanks for the information in this post. I'll be watching for new posts. Not a happy camper.

2000 Coachmen Santara Class C 315QB
2002 Dodge Neon SXT

jcthorne

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enufsenuf wrote:

Inquire with the BBBAutoline, this will allow you to seek replacement or repurchase of the vehicle if found to be a LEMON. Ford states that this vehicle can be recreationally towed! The 6 spd. auto. trans. is DEFECTIVE and allows trans. fluid to superheat while towing causing the fluid to oxygenate and purge out of the transmission. Modifications have been done by the trans. supplier that adds a baffle to prevent the fluid from purging out when superheated. You have found out that this remedy does not work because your replacement trans. was probably a newly modified trans. A replacement vehicle will not cure the problem so you might have to seek reimbursement.
This level of the lemon law usually doesn't allow the consumer to be reimbursed for the collater costs of the base plate, electrical wiring or brake assist (installed). Contact your state's Att.Gen. Office and they should be able to provide you with the forms necessary to file at their level. This level has allowed for us to gain compensation for our Ford Fusion along with the collateral costs associated with connecting the dinghy to the MH for safe and responsible towing.
The vehicle qualifies as a LEMON if:
-three attempts to fix the problem
-manufacturer notified, in writing after three or more repair
attempts
-one final fix by the manufacturer
-15 or more cumulative days the vehicle has been out of service
due to repair issue
-if the last repair attempt exceeds 10 days.
REMCO has released info. concerning dinghy towing of the Escape, Fusion and Mariner. They now offer a lupe pump for these vehicles that should prevent transmission failure. Ford had asked them to develop this item because of all the inquiries from dealers and owners reguarding the transmission FAILURES.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Unfortunatly none of this applies to the OP as he bought the vehicle USED. Also since he is not the original purchaser, Ford spends little time and effort helping. Ford has admitted there is a problem with the escape and Fusion transmissions for towing and has replaced many, provided rental cars etc. But most of the 'goodwill' side of the warranty does not apply to subsequent owners. Yes the warranty still applies but that's it. Buyer beware buying used.

As to helping the OP, I suggest contacting REMCO as they have prepared a trans lube pump kit for this exact application that can solve the problem for you. Ford will not help with its purchase for subsequent owners. They have not agreed to help for 1st owners yet, but Remco seems to be on to somethign and could get you going.

2008 Damon 3575 (38ft, forward kitchen)on Ford 22k chassis

enufsenuf

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inquire with the BBBAutoline, this will allow you to seek replacement or repurchase of the vehicle if found to be a LEMON. Ford states that this vehicle can be recreationally towed! The 6 spd. auto. trans. is DEFECTIVE and allows trans. fluid to superheat while towing causing the fluid to oxygenate and purge out of the transmission. Modifications have been done by the trans. supplier that adds a baffle to prevent the fluid from purging out when superheated. You have found out that this remedy does not work because your replacement trans. was probably a newly modified trans. A replacement vehicle will not cure the problem so you might have to seek reimbursement.
This level of the lemon law usually doesn't allow the consumer to be reimbursed for the collater costs of the base plate, electrical wiring or brake assist (installed). Contact your state's Att.Gen. Office and they should be able to provide you with the forms necessary to file at their level. This level has allowed for us to gain compensation for our Ford Fusion along with the collateral costs associated with connecting the dinghy to the MH for safe and responsible towing.
The vehicle qualifies as a LEMON if:
-three attempts to fix the problem
-manufacturer notified, in writing after three or more repair
attempts
-one final fix by the manufacturer
-15 or more cumulative days the vehicle has been out of service
due to repair issue
-if the last repair attempt exceeds 10 days.
REMCO has released info. concerning dinghy towing of the Escape, Fusion and Mariner. They now offer a lupe pump for these vehicles that should prevent transmission failure. Ford had asked them to develop this item because of all the inquiries from dealers and owners reguarding the transmission FAILURES.
GOOD LUCK!!!

mm047

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/11 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Mariner (Escape with Mercury badges) was built after the date. I talked to the service manager about the TSB's and tranny issues, and he checked that I had the correct dipstick and correct fluid level before I signed the papers.

I'm right at 1 year now, and have towed it 7 or 8 times with a total of under 5000 miles. I'm a nut case about following the procedures, and check my temps with an infrared thermometer. Temps from towing have always been well below temps from normal driving.

So I've had no issues. Did I just put a curse on myself???? I'm on a list with Remco for updates and info on their pump for it. They say first shipments on June 15 with lots of orders.

I'd love to see Ford pick up the tab for these pumps for us. It's gotta be cheaper than new trannies. But I jest.

Mile M.

2008 Winnebago View 24J
2010 Mercury Mariner
Ready Brute Elite and Blue Ox

Iwannago

Malta, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been looking for a used 2010 Escape also and in my research I have found the ones built after 2/8/2010 had the revised transmissions. This was to help with the over heating and failure.
My question is... what was your build date ?

Does anyone know of a failure of a 2010 or newer Escape or Mainer that has a build date past 2/10 and also if they followed the dinghy towing instructions as to lowering the fluid ?????????

Iwannago

Malta, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/11 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This information has been a great help in determining if we go for an Escape or Mariner to tow. I do like the SUV's but still worry about the transmission problems. I see one good response and the a negative. Not sure wht to do.
Anyone else flat towing an Escape with no problems ??

enufsenuf

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/11 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reference to IWANNAGO. We have the 2010 Fusion with the same 6 spd. auto. trans. as the Escape or Mariner. Our original trans was replaced in Sept. 2010 with a "newly" modified trans. and after flat towing the modified one was fried and had to be replaced with another "newly" modified trans. Then again after flat towing, following the guidelines concerning the fliud levels and speed, another one fried (Nov. 2010). We are on our 4th transmission, even though we were assured by Ford Service and Field Service Engineer that everything is alright we have not dinghy towed since Dec. 2010.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2010 Ford Escape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS