Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Broken Driven Shaft on 5th Wheel Landing Legs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Broken Driven Shaft on 5th Wheel Landing Legs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
JKwock

S. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/11 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My driven shaft opposite side of the motor, broke on my 5th wheel landing legs. I don't know how to get the broken driven shaft off to put a new one on. The machine pin on the thrust bearing/bevel gear kit, I think needs to come out but I can't get the machine pin out. I need some help. I have Atwood 5th Wheel Landing Legs.

Thanks,
Jason

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/11 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put at least a 5 ton bottle jack under the frame near the leg. This is to support the front of the fiver. Now, go inside the front storage compartment and remove the cross over shaft, then you will see two clamps. Take the bolts off and the leg will come out the top. Take it inside the house and disassemble. Simplest solution is to give Atwood a call and order a complete new leg. They are not that expensive to replace the whole thing at one time.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first question I have is, are you certain that the connecting pin on the cross shaft isnt broken? If it was broken the cross shaft would spin around the half-moon shaft coming out of the landing gear. You might not even notice the pin being broken because it would simply fall out leaving a hole that you might not see unless you were looking at the spinning shaft. A lot of fivers are put together with the shaft hidden behind the cabinet. You might have to cut a hole through some platic to see whats going on.

Once you are satified that the pin is in place on the cross shaft you could take a look at the pin and gears in the leg. The cap can be popped off and with a small mirro and bright flashlight you can get an idea of what the gears look like. I would be hesitant of throwing money into a new set of gears if they are chewed up and spinning. If the pin connecting the gears is broken it can be replaced easily enough. You will need a punch though.

Replacing the leg can be done. Dropping it might require digging a hole in the ground although probably not. A new leg can be had for $189 from Etrailer. The weld tabs could be different if you go with a new leg. You will need to have a welder put new tabs on. Atwood uses two different gear ratios on their legs. There might be a slight possiblity you would have to change the gears on a new leg.

AlabamaTraveler

hueytown al usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/11 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKwock wrote:

I disassembled the entire leg and only have to replace the driven shaft. I had to punch out the machine pin that goes into the bevel gear. Once punched out, the broken driven shaft pulled right out. The part should come in about 2 weeks.

I had this exact problem last month. I removed the entire leg from the 5er, then punched out the machine pin and removed the broken drive shaft. I then took it to my friendly neighborhood machine shop and they made me a new one. Total cost of repair.....30 bucks.

Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

JKwock

S. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spoke to Atwood today and they have the part for $7.99 but will not ship it directly to me. They will ship it to Camping World. All said and done, $33.45, $25.00 for shipping and handling and $7.99 for the part. What a rip off.

I disassembled the entire leg and only have to replace the driven shaft. I had to punch out the machine pin that goes into the bevel gear. Once punched out, the broken driven shaft pulled right out. The part should come in about 2 weeks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Broken Driven Shaft on 5th Wheel Landing Legs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS