Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: VuQube Portable Satellite System
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> VuQube Portable Satellite System

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
brklyncamper

Brooklyn, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking to upgrade to a VuQube Portable Satellite System. Anyone else use it? What's your experience with it? I'm looking at the RV accessories in this site. I'm considering the VQ1000 model.

JerryofWV

Charleston, WV

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should look at Dish Network's Tail Gait dish. It works the same as the Qube and costs $350.

Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Demco tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JerryofWV wrote:

You should look at Dish Network's Tail Gait dish. It works the same as the Qube and costs $350.

However it is programmed to only work with Dish Network, it will not work with DirecTV.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

djenson

Thompson ND

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used the VuCube 2000 for three years now and never had any problems with it. I use it with direct TV. I have a mount that I put it up on my ladder when parked for and extended period of time. I have used it from North Dakota/Minnesota in the summer and when snowbirding in the southwest. The only thing is when I make the transition from the northern latitudes to the southern latitude it takes it little while for the dish to lock onto the satellite. It does not pick up the local channels when you are out of your local area. It also does not do HD. As I understand it you were mentioning the 1000 model and I do not believe you can get "any" local channels on that model regardless where you are. Maybe you get the national network feeds, if that is the case then you are ok.

Retirement: Waking up with nothing to do and going to bed with half of it done.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the WineGard carry out. I use it with Dish, but it will work with Direct also.

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

bfast54

Traverse City ,Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JerryofWV wrote:

Wrong................. You can only use a specific reciever, with the Tailgater.

I have had a Vu-Cube 1000 for about 3-4 years, it works fine, BUT , there are some special things you need to keep in mind.

Note I OWN a Vu-Cube 1000................

1. You can only move the internal dish, with the remote.
2. The recievers (directv anyway) put out voltage intermitant, Voltage is needed to run the AIMING part of the Vu-Cube 1000
3. AS you try to find the satelite You WILL get a "EO" flashing on the remote screen, this is when the reciever is not putting out the Pulse power.
4. When the power is up, you will get the normal screen, and can aim your Vu-Cube 1000.
I spent 2 years with directv trying to solve this isue, but , it is the way directv builds its recievers. I do not know if Dish has this issue. It is a minor inconvenionce--I have learned to live with.
5. You CAN NOT get H.D. with this dish, with Directv (supossedly you can with some of the Dish recievers)

6. You can use one of a number of recievers with the Vu-Cube.

I like this Dish - Vu-Cube 1000- for travel, as it is protected from the elements, and is easy to store, as you can put it anyplace where it will fit. Regular dishes will have parts sticking out, harder to store.

It is not a perfect system but it does what it is supposed to do. I wish I had known its limitations, when I bought it, but it was just out, when I got it.

Now, the Vu-Cube 2000, is self aiming (easier), but more money.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted you to know the facts...................from a Owner of the unit.

I do like my unit, and would buy it again if needed.

2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2000 Cardinal 27RK LX
Prodigy Brake Controller
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 1300 /GPS
Doran Pressure Pro
VU Qube Satelite
Rally's attended so far-21
My Blog
Good Sam Member

DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at the VuQube 1000 for my trailer... I am confused about the Directv receiver not outputting the voltage needed to aim the antenna. Does the receiver (In my case a Directv D-12) cycle the power on / off or provide it only a certain times? Thanks

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So until Direct TV gets an automatic portable HD dish with a pay-as-you-go plan, get a Dish Tailgater -- you'll have HD & you can sign up for a Dish pay-as-you-go-plan.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

richheck

Modesto, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have the 1000 and love it. I am with Dish and with the 1000 I am able to lock all three sats as needed for both HD and HD locals. The 1000 changes from one sat to another all automatically.

2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Brookstone 324RL

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bfast54 wrote:

JerryofWV wrote:

Wrong................. You can only use a specific reciever, with the Tailgater.

I have had a Vu-Cube 1000 for about 3-4 years, it works fine, BUT , there are some special things you need to keep in mind.

Note I OWN a Vu-Cube 1000................

1. You can only move the internal dish, with the remote.
2. The recievers (directv anyway) put out voltage intermitant, Voltage is needed to run the AIMING part of the Vu-Cube 1000
3. AS you try to find the satelite You WILL get a "EO" flashing on the remote screen, this is when the reciever is not putting out the Pulse power.
4. When the power is up, you will get the normal screen, and can aim your Vu-Cube 1000.
I spent 2 years with directv trying to solve this isue, but , it is the way directv builds its recievers. I do not know if Dish has this issue. It is a minor inconvenionce--I have learned to live with.
5. You CAN NOT get H.D. with this dish, with Directv (supossedly you can with some of the Dish recievers)

6. You can use one of a number of recievers with the Vu-Cube.

I like this Dish - Vu-Cube 1000- for travel, as it is protected from the elements, and is easy to store, as you can put it anyplace where it will fit. Regular dishes will have parts sticking out, harder to store.

It is not a perfect system but it does what it is supposed to do. I wish I had known its limitations, when I bought it, but it was just out, when I got it.

Now, the Vu-Cube 2000, is self aiming (easier), but more money.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted you to know the facts...................from a Owner of the unit.

I do like my unit, and would buy it again if needed.
The Tailgater is a VuQube 2500. It only works with Dish and certain Dish receivers such as the Dish 211k. It does receive HD. It is self aiming and cheaper than the other VuQubes. But again, it is Dish specific and Dish receiver model specific. $499 gets both the Dome and the Dish receiver. You can add on a external hard drive for recording programs.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> VuQube Portable Satellite System
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS