bfast54 wrote:The Tailgater is a VuQube 2500. It only works with Dish and certain Dish receivers such as the Dish 211k. It does receive HD. It is self aiming and cheaper than the other VuQubes. But again, it is Dish specific and Dish receiver model specific. $499 gets both the Dome and the Dish receiver. You can add on a external hard drive for recording programs.
You should look at Dish Network's Tail Gait dish. It works the same as the Qube and costs $350.
Wrong................. You can only use a specific reciever, with the Tailgater.
I have had a Vu-Cube 1000 for about 3-4 years, it works fine, BUT , there are some special things you need to keep in mind.
Note I OWN a Vu-Cube 1000................
1. You can only move the internal dish, with the remote.
2. The recievers (directv anyway) put out voltage intermitant, Voltage is needed to run the AIMING part of the Vu-Cube 1000
3. AS you try to find the satelite You WILL get a "EO" flashing on the remote screen, this is when the reciever is not putting out the Pulse power.
4. When the power is up, you will get the normal screen, and can aim your Vu-Cube 1000.
I spent 2 years with directv trying to solve this isue, but , it is the way directv builds its recievers.
I do not know if Dish has this issue. It is a minor inconvenionce--I have learned to live with.
5. You CAN NOT get H.D. with this dish, with Directv (supossedly you can with some of the Dish recievers)
6. You can use one of a number of recievers with the Vu-Cube.
I like this Dish - Vu-Cube 1000- for travel, as it is protected from the elements, and is easy to store, as you can put it anyplace where it will fit. Regular dishes will have parts sticking out, harder to store.
It is not a perfect system but it does what it is supposed to do. I wish I had known its limitations, when I bought it, but it was just out, when I got it.
Now, the Vu-Cube 2000, is self aiming (easier), but more money.
Sorry this was so long, but I wanted you to know the facts...................from a Owner of the unit.
I do like my unit, and would buy it again if needed.