Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: How does Ford's trailer brake controller work?

Posted By: LibertyHaven on 03/13/12 06:59pm

We just got ourselves a new F-150 with tow package off the lot. It didn't come with the Ford brake controller.

We have a Hensley TruControl Silver from our former tow vehicle that I was planning on installing. We like the Hensley because it's inertial -- my original RV dealer threw in a time-delay controller with the trailer, and it drove us to distraction -- grabby at low speeds when you didn't need it, and not grabby enough at high speeds when you did. Since we've been towing with the Hensley, things have been a lot smoother -- plus, we tow several trailers (RV, utility, tool, and horse) and the configurability of the Hensley makes this a lot easier.

Our problem is that in the new F150, it's difficult to find a good place to mount a controller where it won't interfere with your knee, or your key, or put the manual braking button out of reach. Now, the Ford integrated controller fits in a recess in the dash. So I'm tempted by it, as long as it's not a simple time-delay model. But I can't find any technicalinformation about that controller in any of the Ford forums. So I thought I would post this question in a forum where people tend to care more about these types of details.

Does anybody know? The part number is BL3Z-19H332-AA.

Posted By: skipnchar on 03/13/12 07:17pm

I've found the ford integrated controller to be the smoothest, most natural braking system I've ever used. It is the closest thing you can have to ABS on the trailer in my opinion. Takes about 2 seconds to set it up the first time and it talks to you through the DIC to let you know what it's doing.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: ReneeG on 03/13/12 07:21pm

Same here. Just bought a 2011 F350 last August - we tow a near 14K fifth wheel and we too had the Hensley True Control before, but don't need it with the new Truck. The electronics allow you to set the gain to your liking. Along with the Tow/Haul Mode, it's the best combination.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Posted By: tls001 on 03/13/12 07:21pm

I added one to my F150 with the same situation, your truck is already wired for it and the Ford F-150 Forum has complete instructions. It is not very hard at all and the integrated controller works great. After you install it, you will have to have the dealer flash the computer for it to work.

http://www.f150forum.com/f75/how-add-factory-tbc-76772/

Posted By: PHS79 on 03/13/12 07:22pm

I believe that the controller in the new F150 is the same style as the ones in the Super Dutys. The ones in the Super Dutys work AWESOME!!! If I remember right the SD version is tapped into the trucks hydraulic brakes and uses the actual brake pressure to adjust the trailer braking.

2004 F150 FX4, with lots of mods and way too much money dumped into the truck for said mods
2012 Grey Wolf 26BH

Posted By: Jetta03 on 03/13/12 08:02pm

Another plug for the ford integrated controller. What you gain by using the ford controller is a clean factory install in your dash and integration with the truck's cluster, ABS/ESP and electronic sway control. You can't get these with any aftermarket controller.

Posted By: JBarca on 03/13/12 08:57pm

I have one of the 1st ones that Ford came out with. IMHO it does rank up there with sliced bread for a brake controller. I had the Jordan Ultima 2020 before this and it was good too, just not made any more and the Ford is better.

The unit is fully integrated into the truck. As said it uses a sensor off the master brake cylinder to create the response of the unit. It is intelligent. The truck and TT stop in such a one to one response it is sort of unbelievable. On the back of the unit is a communication plug with lots of wires going into the truck circuit. Then there is the normal power wire going to the 7 wire plug in the back.

You will not get any herky jerky from this controller.

The only feature I wish mine had was an amp readout and on mine and the drag test mode. I have a bar graph on how much power is being output but have no idea on the amps it is sending. I do not know if the newer ones have this feature or not. They changed the drag test feature after being on the market for a few months. My manual button only works to give much power above 15 mph. Any 2005 pre April 05 have the issue.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

Posted By: goducks10 on 03/13/12 11:01pm

skipnchar wrote:

I've found the ford integrated controller to be the smoothest, most natural braking system I've ever used. It is the closest thing you can have to ABS on the trailer in my opinion. Takes about 2 seconds to set it up the first time and it talks to you through the DIC to let you know what it's doing.
Good luck / Skip

X2

Posted By: APT on 03/14/12 05:47am

The Ford one is better than inertial sensor based of your Hensley or a Prodigy. It used the master cylinder pressure sensor information from the brake controller as well as the integrated information through the instrument cluster. I believe the parts are in the $125 range, but I believe you need a dealer to enable it which may or may not be free.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Posted By: SeaRayder on 03/14/12 08:01am

x10 The F-150 factory one is badass. Don't do aftermarket when the factory install is so much cleaner and works fantastic...

-SeaRayder

Current RV: 2009 Keystone Springdale 280FWIKSSR Fifth Wheel
Current TV: 2012 Ford F150 Heavy Duty Crew Cab EcoBoost Lariat 4x4

Posted By: boondockdad on 03/14/12 08:08am

Our 2012 E-350 integrated brake controller doesn't work well with electric/hydraulic.

Both FORD and Dexter (actuator manufacturer) confirmed IBC compatibility, but our Tekonsha P3 performs MUCH better. The most obvious difference is the 'boost' option on the P3. The IBC only offers 'gain'

Airstream 30' S/O Classic Limited + 8.1L Suburban LT

http://www.boondockdad.com

See you down the road!

Posted By: SeaRayder on 03/14/12 08:32am

boondockdad wrote:

Our 2012 E-350 integrated brake controller doesn't work well with electric/hydraulic.

Both FORD and Dexter (actuator manufacturer) confirmed IBC compatibility, but our Tekonsha P3 performs MUCH better. The most obvious difference is the 'boost' option on the P3. The IBC only offers 'gain'

Did you change the setting in the truck settings menu to Electric over Hydraulic?

Posted By: VTX1300Rider on 03/14/12 04:28pm

We had the Ford OEM controller installed after I bought the truck. The dealer did it for about $480 including parts and labor. They quoted me close to $300 just for the controller, so I figured it's worth paying them to mess with the install and programming the chip.

Posted By: MM49 on 03/14/12 08:01pm

You can really upgrade from the Ford controller with a Tuson BUS message controlled system. The unit uses CAN bus messages to determine speed and brake input. No sensors, no transducer. It also has full electronic diagnostic menu.
MM49

Posted By: f150camper on 03/14/12 11:19pm

VTX1300Rider wrote:

We had the Ford OEM controller installed after I bought the truck. The dealer did it for about $480 including parts and labor. They quoted me close to $300 just for the controller, so I figured it's worth paying them to mess with the install and programming the chip.

$170. Those darn dealers!
Ford OEM Brake Controller

Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup)
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

Posted By: boondockdad on 03/15/12 05:33am

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

Did you change the setting in the truck settings menu to Electric over Hydraulic?

The FORD IBC on our '12 E-350 does not have that feature.

Posted By: SeaRayder on 03/15/12 06:30am

boondockdad wrote:

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

Weird! My '12 F-150 does... wonder when they changed it?

-SeaRayder

Posted By: boondockdad on 03/15/12 06:36am

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

-SeaRayder

Can you tell me how you change it, exactly?
There's nothing in the owners manual, or FORD website.

Posted By: SeaRayder on 03/15/12 07:17am

boondockdad wrote:

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

SeaRayder wrote:

boondockdad wrote:

-SeaRayder

Can you tell me how you change it, exactly?
There's nothing in the owners manual, or FORD website.

On mine in the guage cluster driver info display you go to Settings>Driver Assist>Trailer Brake Mode>Electric over Hydrauilic. Don't know how to do it on one without the display.

-SeaRayder

Print  |  Close