Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Noisy Water Pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Noisy Water Pump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
CommandrKeen

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took my 'new to me' 2010 Kingsport 301TB out for it's first trip this past weekend. I was very annoyed with how loud the water pump is in this unit. Considerably louder than in my last TT (A Palomino). Does anyone have any advice on how to quite the existing pump? Failing that, I may have to purchase a new quieter pump.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise is usually caused by the pump or lines vibrating against something. Barring that, there are quiet kits you can add to the pump that come with two very flexible lines for the input and output of your pump.
I suspect that if you follow the lines you'll find that by holding them away from something the noise will be tolerable. I had to use pipe insulation in a couple of places to stop the vibrations.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CommandrKeen wrote:

Took my 'new to me' 2010 Kingsport 301TB out for it's first trip this past weekend. I was very annoyed with how loud the water pump is in this unit. Considerably louder than in my last TT (A Palomino). Does anyone have any advice on how to quite the existing pump? Failing that, I may have to purchase a new quieter pump.

It could be that your Palomino had the bigger more expensive quieter pump!

My water pump in my MH was quiet and had great pressure.
Never did understand all the posts about loud water pumps.

Well my pump finally died and mobile repair came out and replaced it.
The new pump was like a freight train going thru the RV and when I turned the water on it shook and stuttered all the lines. Called the mobile repair guy back inside the MH and here is what we discovered.

My MH came standard with the bigger water pump that costs about $200.00. The mobile repair guy replaced it with the ole standard pump that costs around 65.00.

It's loud and I had to remove all my nice new sprayer heads I put on all the faucets because the the smaller pump pressure is just too low enough to make it thru the spayers without shuddering.

I bet your Palomino had the larger pump, my Palomino Thoroughbred TT came with the larger pump.

I think what size pump is installed is something that needs to be put on everyone's "what to look for" list when buying an RV.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Noise is usually caused by the pump or lines vibrating against something. Barring that, there are quiet kits you can add to the pump that come with two very flexible lines for the input and output of your pump.
I suspect that if you follow the lines you'll find that by holding them away from something the noise will be tolerable. I had to use pipe insulation in a couple of places to stop the vibrations.

That's what we did. Worked great!!

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

sharker6

fulltime KY, NC, FL, MA, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a fast hammering noise you hear it may be the piping vibrating against something next to the pump and not the actual pump. The pump may be cheap (like most are in new RV's). If you change it out get something like this. It's expensive but, you get what you pay for.

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

SabreCanuck

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used our water pump for the first time since installing an accumulator tank this year. WOW what a difference in noise. I had to shut off the ceiling vent fan to hear the pump!!!

Great mod!!!
Search for accumulator pump install and you'll see lots of options.

Obsolete

OnTheRoad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned on this forum that many have removed the first foot or so of piping after the pump and replaced it with the metal flexible line with connectors on each end (hardware store has them). Put the flex line in an "S" shape, not straight. And put padding around that. The rest of the piping will not vibrate against things anymore.

National Tropi-Cal - 36'
with Banks PowerPak

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last night I went to Lowes and purchased similar parts to these except 30" hoses plus plumbing tape for about $18. The 1/2" connectors are near the sprinkler fittings.

Once attached, I still had about half as much noise which I wasn't satisfied with. I then took cable ties/zip ties and tied hoses together and to the pump in a way that had them avoiding contact with the walls and floor. This eliminated half of the remaining noise for a total of about 75% decrease (IMO).

I'm still not completely happy but it's a heck of a lot better. I'm hoping the result will be that people can use water in the middle of the night without waking everyone.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

chesterb

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the flexible lines, I screwed my pump on top of an old mouse pad and that helped buffer some sound.

* This post was edited 06/12/12 06:06pm by an administrator/moderator *

2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi, Crewcab, 4x4, 4.10
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306

rrev

Beatrice, NE

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen somewhere, probably on here somewhere, that someone made an insulator that went between the pump and the floor. He made insulator out of 1/8" plywood on each side with some foam, like a couch cushion, sandwiched in the middle. Looked like a big sandwich. Mounted the pump to one side and the other side to the floor. To me, it sounds like a great idea. I have yet to try it since my pump is noisy. I moved some of my lines around and that helped but I guess we are all spoiled by our regular houses not having pumps.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Noisy Water Pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS