Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Earthquakes & RV's
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Earthquakes & RV's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
alexpinca

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been through a major quake in an RV...a couple of 5's but nothing big...officials have announced a warning for SC of a swarm of quakes for the next 24 hours. DOUBLE CHECK MY LOGIC PLEASE....jacks should be up and tripod should be off RIGHT??? My logic is that I should ride out a quake on the tires. Of course landing gear has to stay down.

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a motor-home has no jacks down, and a 5th-wheel or trailer is connected to the TV with no jacks or hitch down, they will ride out a mild earthquake with no damage.

There is a "catch" however. Earth-quakes are unpredictable. Are you planning to never use your jacks or stabilizer again? My motor-home being only 30 feet with no slideouts does not have stabilizers and does not need them so in a way we are always prepared.

Just keep your insurance up and quit worrying about it.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really. We were in a 6+ in San Diego a few years ago. Jacks down, it just shook. The Northridge Earthquake of 1994 made the house come down (really) but the MH road it out ok, jacks up, sitting on a concrete pad on the tires.
I personally see no difference or greater risk than riding on some of SoCal lousy highways, like the 10 toward PalmSprings.
The real threat comes from nearby structures, poles, and trees. Your water and power lines are already flexable. Pieces of roof my fall from structures and block walls may fall. If the power goes out and you have a generator you can switch to back up power, but be advised, if the power comes back on it may surge or be under powered, causing system damage, so it would be best to disconnect from city power until advised that all is back to normal.
Yeah, we had some experience with this.
Lets hope this is a false alarm, but then again, living along the many Western fault lines we must always be prepared.
Happy Trails.

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only recommendation I can give is to get rv away from any objects that could fall onto it, trees, poles, walls, etc. Out in the open is best, kinda like boondocking, I guess but not under a tree(s).

Much easier than dealing with Isaac.

hallock5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 6.0 in the Fiver nightly when the hubs rolls over in bed, no worries...

2008 Jayco Eagle Superlite 28.5RLS
2002 Ford 4x4 SuperCab 7.3 (Jr International) Diesel

Sad to say, time to sell to a good home.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If an earthquake is strong enough to damage an RV because the jacks and tripod are in use, I don't think much would help. On tires only, you may cause a more pronouced rolling effect which if the earthquake is strong enough and long enough will get the trailer to rocking bad enough to topple.

In my mind, the jacks since they are attached would act as stabilizers and help prevent extreme rocking.

By the way the warning has expired. It was issued on aug 26th for 24 hours. It was for San Diego, Imperial, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a native born California guy and have rode out many, many earthquakes.

Generally the rule of thumb for earthquakes is NOT to run outside...but as long as you stay away from power poles and trees...in my opinion...get out of the RV!

The jacks being down would spread out the forces of the quake over more of the trailers frame AND lower the center of gravity...hopefully limiting any real damage.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HR

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having seen pictures and talking to folks there in El Centro, CA. near Brawley, about 3 years ago on Easter Sunday, park models that of course are up on blocks, fell off the blocks, took the attached awnings with them. A travel trailer, fifth wheel, or MHs that were on there tires were fine. A few of the mentenioned RV's, if they had the front jack or jacks up on blocks some just slid off. We were in Yuma, about 60 miles east of El Centro, and I was standing about 100' from the back of our fifth wheel, the ground shook some, but the rear of the trailer just rocked back and forth. You never saw snowbirds and seniors in the RV come out the door so fast.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexpinca wrote:

I've never been through a major quake in an RV...a couple of 5's but nothing big...officials have announced a warning for SC of a swarm of quakes for the next 24 hours. DOUBLE CHECK MY LOGIC PLEASE....jacks should be up and tripod should be off RIGHT??? My logic is that I should ride out a quake on the tires. Of course landing gear has to stay down.

If when you say "SC" you mean Southern California, an earthquake swarm's been going on there since August 26th, when they had more than 300 quakes in a single day!

No reports as to RV damage.....

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Earthquakes & RV's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: