Woodalls Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: MIchigan Camping Trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> MIchigan Camping Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
livelylittlecampers

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a two week trip to Michigan and are looking for recommendations. The itinerary is wide open so please recommend anything great--state parks or private work for us. We just prefer campgrounds that are fun for our 4 year old twin boys. We are interested in anything near Lake Michigan, Traverse City, and also want to head into the UP. THere are so many campgrounds in Michigan that I don't even know where to start.

Best--Jeremy

Lively Little Campers

Locky

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/13 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jellystone at Silver Lake has tons of activities for the kids. It is along Lake Michigan. It is only 20 minutes from our house but we leave our camper there for 7 weeks. There is a lot to do in the area as a family. Just do a Google search and you will see what I mean. There is also Duck Creek Campground which is across from Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park which just happens to be 10 minutes from my house. You can message me if you have any questions about this area.

golfknut

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your trip is this summer it will be tough to get a campsite at the more popular state park campgrounds at this late date, especially along and near Lake Michigan.

Duck Creek RV Resort is a nice place directly across the street from Michigan's Adventure

Traverse City State Park is convenient to a nice beach on the bay, nearby family activity buusinesses, and a paved biking/hiking trail running adjacent to the campground.

Mackinaw City is another family friendly area with Mackinac Island a popular destination.

2005 Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS

livelylittlecampers

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trip is for next summer. That's why I'm on it so early--I know the state parks are hard to book. Where is a good place to stay Near Mackinaw Island? I have more questions but busy at work right now.

Thanks so much!

Jeremy

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The kids would love Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Great fun running up and down the dunes.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Locky

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/13 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mill Creek is a nice Campground in Mackinaw City.

Jimmerbobber

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost anything along highway 31- Silver Lake brings back memories of 30 years ago when watching the sun go down my daughter said 'daddy, do it again'. Sleeping Bear is great. Traverse City and Petoskey are really nice areas. Out near the middle, Hartwick Pines State Park gets you a lot of logging history, and either Grayling or Gaylord (I don't remember) is the Fred Bear museum. And just east of Petoskey is Indian River. Getting into the U.P., you gotta go to the Upper/Lower Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Point lighthouse.

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/13 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not plan a loop around Lake Michigan? We did a similar trip years ago and it is still one of our kids favorites!

Start at D H Day campground near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore. Head up to Petkosky for a few days. There is a lake front state park there. You can then camp near Mackinaw Island. You can take the bridge to the UP and work your way over to Door County, WI. Peninsular State Park in Door County is very nice. On your way back to NJ you can spend time visiting Chicago and stay in a state park, Indiana Dunes near Gary, ID.

You are wise to plan and book in advance. I know that D H Day and Peninsular campgrounds are very popular.

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

homedad

mid-michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wilderness State Park is right on lake Michigan. I'm talking 150' walk into the water. Great swimming for little kids. It's very shallow a long way out. You may need to set an alarm to book your site though. I think it's 6 months prior to your stay. I believe that some (enthusiastic) people book extra days prior to their stay then cancel in order to ensure a choice site. The park is about 10 minutes west of Mackinaw City where you catch the ferry to the island.

livelylittlecampers

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/13 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the responses. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> MIchigan Camping Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS