Woodalls Open Roads Forum: GMC Short bed, RBW 5th wheel hitch, 19ft. fifth wheel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> GMC Short bed, RBW 5th wheel hitch, 19ft. fifth wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
motojoxr250

Chalmette, LA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/04 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1995 GMC short bed pick up, A rbw lil rocker hitch, and a Nomad 19 ft wheel camper. I am planning on installing the hitch this weekend. I called RBW to see if I can get any suggestions before I got started and the guy said with the lil rocker hitch and a short bed truck I need a slider kit part number ps-1001. I asked where to get one and they could not recomend any place. Looked on the internet and could not find one.
Do I really need this slider kit since I am pulling such a small camper? It is only 19 ft. long and 7.5 ft wide. RBW directions say to install it about 2 inches above the center of the axle towards the cab. Would it work if I put it on the center of the axle?
Does anybody have a set up with this hitch and a short bed chevy or gmc truck and found they did not need the slider kit?

Thanks
Joe

big griz

western us

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/04 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a shortbed you will more than likely need a slider hitch. RBW is a good hitch. Try Kearbyrv.com. Keep the hitch forward of the axle.

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/04 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the hitch manufacturer told you to get the slide kit why are you even questioning the need? Can you afford to have the front of your Nomad and the backof your truck cab repaired? Good luck

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

FisHin2Dmax

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/04 01:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every Nomad I've seen of your size and year had an extended pin hitch. Before you spend the money on a slider go ahead and mount your existing RBW hitch. I don't agree with the others on this thread that you necessarily need a slider! I have the RBW (with a slider conversion) and a much larger 5'er than yours and have NEVER needed the slider and have ever came close to ever needing it! It all depends on your trailer. In my case I was told I would need one and I didn't. The RBW standard non-slider hitch I started out with would have been fine!

Every Nomad (Skyline) under 27' (that I ever seen) already has and extended pin box. Here is what I would do. Mount your RBW to the front of the axle as suggested. One inch to two inches forward. Then go ahead and try hooking up your trailer and see if it will hit in a tight turn ( my bet is it won't hit). If it doesn't need a slider you've saved a lot of money, if in the event it does need a slider it's no big deal with the RBW hitch, you simply adapt the RBW slider to your existing mounting rails.

Good luck

2003 GMC HD 2500 CC 4x4 DuraMax/Allison
2008 Sundance 2900MK

MGB939

Pawnee City, Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/04 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HAVE A 2001 GMC EXT.CAB SHORT BED WITH A DRAWTITE 15K SLIDER HITCH INSTALLED RIGHT OVER THE AXLE AND HAVE YET TO USE THE SLIDE. THE NEWER 5TH WHEELS HAVE THE KING PIN WAY OUT IN FRONT AND YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO USE THE SLIDE. IN A 90 DEGREE TURN IT COMES PRETTY CLOSE BUT AS LONG AS I PAY ATTENTION WHEN BACKING I DONT SEE NO PROBLEMS. I DID MOVE THE SLIDER ONCE TO TEST IT AND IT SURE TRANSFERS THE WEIGHT REARWARD. THERE ARE A GOOD HITCH BUT MIGHT NOT BE NEEDED.

2001 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab 8.1/Allison,4:10's
16k Drawtite Slider
Prodigy controlled
2002 293RKS Jayco Eagle
2- EU2000i Honda Gens.
2004 FLTHCU/I Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

shadow5

Jonesboro, AR

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/04 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe,

My suggestion would be to get an extended pin box
put on your 5er instead on the slide.

97 Shadow Cruiser 255RK
04 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 2WD 600 Cummins

mcsandman

Lecanto, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/04 03:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 19' 5er and a short-bed F-150. Also got a sliding hitch and have used it often. Wouldn't be without it. Once, when in a hurry while making a tight u-turn, I didn't take the time to slide it and brought the trailer right against the rear windshielf. Didn't pop it, but there is a quarter-sized permanent mar on the window to keep me reminded.

mcsandman
New Horizons 19' 5er
Ford F-150, 5.4, 3.55

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/04 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to keep the center of the hitch at least 2" forward of the axle,i've been told 4" is the ideal place to mount hitches.Good luck.

04 Dodge CTD
08 Bighorn 3370

FisHin2Dmax

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/04 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope this helps....

My little rocker rear mounting rail is exactly 28" (center of mounting rail) from back of the bed (tailgate). The front mounting bracket is exactly 50" from the back of the bed, or 22" ( center to center of rails) in front of the rear rail. On my 2003 GMC Short bed, that puts the center of hitch approx 1.5" to 2" in front of the Axle. My lil rocker hitch was installed by a dealer that does 100's of these hitches installs every year.

As I indicated in my first post, I would mount your lil rocker in front of the Axle at least 1" to 2" as this is the best place to mount, not only for weight, but for Tow vehicle control. Should your 5'er lose a tire or wheel, you will want the 5'er to be mounted forward or on top of the Axle to minimize the sway torque on the tow vehicle. Even a light weight 5'er placed behind the axle could have catastprohic effects should your 5'er ever have a problem. Also you won't like the ride with the 5'er mounting too far back on the Axle! I suggest you mount the hitch 1" to 2" in front of the axle, Then hitch your trailer up and see if your trailer hits? If it is too close for comfort ( If your 5'er has an extended pin box,it shouldn't hit), then buy the RBW slider kit.

Here is the Link to RBW installation guide.
http://rbwindustries.com/lil%20rocker%20ins.htm
It is interesting that RBW is suggesting 2" in front of Axle but does say the hitch could be mounted above the axle, but not aft of the Axle.

Good Luck!

* This post was edited 08/13/04 11:57pm by FisHin2Dmax *

motojoxr250

Chalmette, LA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/04 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FisHin2Dmax,
Do you have a short bed truck chevey or gmc truck? According to the reese hitch instructions I need to put the back rail 26 3/16" from the edge of the bed of the truck. That puts the center of the hitch right over the axle. I have the rbw lil rocker hitch and on there instructions the hitch is about 1 1/2 - 2" above the axle. The trailer only weighs about 3500 lbs. I don't think 1 1/2 - 2 inches in front of the axle will make that much difference, but it may give me the clearance I need.
What do ya'll think?

Thanks for all the input.
Joe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> GMC Short bed, RBW 5th wheel hitch, 19ft. fifth wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS