Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Four Season Rated Motorhomes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Four Season Rated Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
KR

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have added your suggestions and things to look for, to our list. We're probably not going to be is sub zero weather very much, but 5-10 degrees could be expected.

Some of your suggested manufacturers may not be there, but we're having the Nashville,TN RV Show this weekend and I should be able to get a look at some units we've not had a chance to inspect.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I beleive Triple E flogs their motorhomes as true 4 season. I have seen their adds showing the front half in the snow and the back in the sun etc etc. They are definetly built in a Cold Place...Manitoba.

How cold do you plan on using the coach. Many coaches nowadays do well in the cold. We have lived in ours for weeks at a time in sub zero weather and it is quite cozy.

Take your time and besides looking at insulation, look at where water lines are run, basement heating, would recomend 2 furnaces for redundancy and heat strips in the AC's as supplemental heat. Heat pumps don't cut it below zero but do well in relatively warm weather.

Good luck.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newmar does a great job insulating the coach. We've camped as low as 15F with no problems. The heated basement was toasty warm. Also, the Newmar Web Site does list each units insulation valve for each specfic coach. Just choose the model you're considering, and click the "standard features" section. In that column, under "construction features" it list the insulation R-values for the floor, walls, and roof.

Since the Dutch Star DP is their most popular model, here is the spec sheet for it - just scroll down to the "construction features" section. Some models have more, so be sure to check the specfic model in question.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jimcharrison

South Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of all the coaches I have owned and seen over the years... only one has what I consider to be extremely well insulated, and designed for most any condition. That coach is a Bluebird Wanderlodge. My coach has three inches of foam insulation sprayed in the walls ceilings, and floors. In addition there are the steel side walls, insulated windows, and curtains. There too are the heated basements, and compartments.

Last year I traveled from Georgia to upper Michigan in late January and early February in temperatures dropping well under 10 below zero. Wind chills exceeded 15-20 below. The Bird survived unscaved, as did I.

I left Georgia with full water, and empty sewer, and arrived back in Georgia with full sewer, and empty water. I was on the road for 14 days.

While parked I actually ran only one electric 1500 watt heater verses the central LP furnace, or any of the other 3 1500 watt built in heaters available to me, or the two rooftop heat strips had I been required to do so. I did keep the basements warm and the block heater running from time to time.

A fantastic experience, and a fantastic coach.

Former Bluebird Wanderlodge Owner/Advocate....but still love them!

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just spent a day at a RV show looking at motorhomes. One of the things I was looking at was how good they would be in cold weather.

Unfortunately, many motorhomes are not well equipped for cold weather use. One area that I looked closely at was the water tanks and dump valves. Many companies say that they have enclosed and heated tanks and valves. They are correct that they are enclosed and heated.

The problem is that the tank/valve compartments are not well insulated. So unless the furnace is running frequently these areas might freese. I saw several different brands that used formed plastic or fiberglass compartments that were only about 1/8" thick. There was no other insulation in these compartments. This included some motorhomes that were $250,000 and up.

Wall thickness. If the wall is only 1" thick you will not have much insulation. And most of the claims about using Styrofoam insulation are incorrect because they are using "bead board" and they often don't even know the difference. (I toured 9 RV manufacturers in Elkhart last May and saw how they are made).

Reguardless of the manufacturer's claims most are not well designed for winter usage. The only one that I have seen is the Class C Bigfoot brand.

horacebcupp

Johnson City, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/05 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KR. I believe Foretravels come equipped for 4 season occupancy as well. Full insulation, double pane windows, Aquq-Hot diesel heating system with heated basement, storage as well as tanks. I travel in the winter in mine, aven spent Christmas In Plattsburg, NY one year. The ice-maker even has a heating coil on the valve so that it can run in freezing weather.

2003 Foretravel, U 320
2003 Honda CR-V

KR

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/05 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that most of the time when someone speaks of a 4 season rated motorhome, they mean that a company has used a standard production unit and added a cold weather package to heat tanks and valves. Do any manufacturers bulk up the insulation in the walls, ceiling, and floors?

Being full time, we frequently stay in cold locations and it would be great if our next unit was built for cold weather. Do you own one, or have any information?

"A home without wheels is just a house"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Four Season Rated Motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS