Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Flatbed mounted pop-up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Flatbed mounted pop-up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
prattdevelopment

Palm City, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/06 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK , So here is my thought. I have a 20 foot flat bed trailer and am thinking about mounting a pop up to the front of it and useing the rear as a deck/ atv/ golf cart transportation area. Anybody done this, any ideas?

Kurt

1996 F350 4x4,exaust brake, intercooler,4" exaust, custom intake, 4"lift, 35's, 6 pos. custom chip, billet converter and upgraded tranny, add on guages, Air assited rear springs
2003 Open Roads 36RBHS 5ver

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/06 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, I believe Starcraft has beaten you to it. They make some interesting camper-toyhauler combinations, which we saw at a dealer a couple years ago. So it probably would work. Remember to keep weight distribution in mind and decide on the camper location accordingly.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/06 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One major consideration is the pop up box length. since even a 10 footer would have to be mounted lengthwise rather than crosswise you have to mount the PU far enough back so the bunk end will clear the cab unless its a very low cab and even then the support rods com into play. With king size bunks that means leaving about 6 foor from the cab to the back of the PU. That can take up a lot of room on the bed, but you could use it for storage.
MY ex FIL mounted a truck camper on a flat bed to use as a toy hauler.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/06 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Some things I have thought about.....

Make the PUp easily removable to do maintenance on the lift system or leave that part of the trailer open with no decking.

Mount a grey water holding tank under the flatbed.

My Coleman has a step that is actually the door and it drops down below the floorline so I will have to come-up with something there.
I have also done a cost comparison for the conversion using a new flatbed vs. a pre-made set-up and doing myself will save me thousands.

Please post pictures if you do it.

fairfaxjim

Fairfax, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/06 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Fleetwood Scorpion - pretty much what you describe.

Scorpion

Jim & JoAnne
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

Dekker

DesMoines Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/06 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my SIL does this with their pup and their Harleys to go to sturgis. works great for them.just straps the pup down with come alongs and binders.

ARIZONA GUIDE

mesa AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/06 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actualy I beat them all to it. I did this with a small coleman about 10 years ago. I was also one of the first to stretch the frame and build a deck on the front of our PUP to haul a quad on.

2002 R-vision trail lite. Love it.
1999 dodge 4x4 deisle. Have loved it from the day it rolled off the lot. now at 250k
http://goodmanfamilygivingcenter.blogspot.com/
http://goodmanfamilyoutdoors.blogspot.com/

justALnow

Ft Myers, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/06 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seriously considered doing the same thing, when we wanted to get a golf cart to take along. About that time we discovered the Starcraft 36RT, which filled the bill. Might want to check it out. The only downside is the tongue weight on the RT is limited to 1500 lbs. An electric golf cart weighs close to 1000 lbs, so we ended up getting a go-cart that weighs about 450 lbs. My tongue weight is still about 1200 # with all the other "stuff".

I don't see why the flatbed idea wouldn't work, especially if you already have the PUP. You would have the option of going with a larger capacity flatbed to haul more weight. Like Mike posted above, my uncle mounted a truck camper backwards on a flatbed, and then loaded 2 ATV's under the overhanging bunk at the rear. He towed it from South Florida to Alaska and back.

maurice-r

indianapolis, indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/06 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I replaced my Venture(starcraft)axle with something beefier, with involved welding in new spring supports. We just got back from Florida with 9 people, and now I'm thinking of the flatbed idea too! It occurs to me that I could take an axle off and mount pup to flatbed suing axle mounts.

maurice

Maurice and Brenda
Franklin, IN
2001 Chevy 15 passenger and 1999 Venture pop-up

Cabriolet86

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/06 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing you may want to consider is tongue weight. If you haul the rig unloaded on the back end, you're talking about nearly the entire weight of the popup on the tongue of the trailer. That's a lot of weight!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Flatbed mounted pop-up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS