Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 2006 WINNEBAGO RUST PROBLEMS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 2006 WINNEBAGO RUST PROBLEMS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
OnTheRoadAgain26

Naples

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the owner of a 2006 Winnebago Itasca Meridian which I bought from Lazdays in Febraury of 2006.
From the day I bought the RV I found some rust all over the compartments driver side where the slideout is. The sales person told me that it will get fixed the next time I bring the RV in. As of today Lazydays did NOT fix the problem and states that Winnebago is declining any warranty. Well... in another year it will be completely rusted through.
An idenpendent body shop told me that all metal related to the slide out was painted without any primer or any surface prep which causes this excessive rust problem.

Lazdays recommended that I contact Winnebago myself. Great service, especially considering that I have a contract and paid Lazydays and not Winnebago.
I even bought an extended 5 year warranty which surely declines any rust coverage...

You can look at the photos of my 2006 Itasca Meridian at:
http://axop.com/co/images/ItascaRust/

The motor home is currently at Lazydays since 08/22/2006
Since the rust is along the slide out compartments and extremely visible when extracted you can imagine it looks extremely "bad" at the campgrounds and is def. not an adequate representation of any qualified manufacturer.

The RV has NEVER been exposed to any salt or winter driving, except maybe by the transit company which delivered the vehicle from Winnebago to Lazydays in Winter of 2006.
After some research on the internet to my surprise I have found out that the rust seems to be a known issue with some of the 2005 and 2006 Winnebago products, i.E. www.rvguides.com/2005/index.htm
I found others with similar problems with 2004-2006 Winnebago products, most of which are not commenting and suprisingly have a different RV now... I have heard / read stories of some of these being bought back but cannot confirm because of the "no comment" position by the owners.

This lack of customer support is really a shame considering Winnebago reported 837 Millions in sales, see: http://moneycentral.msn.com/companyreport?Symbol=WGO
and Lazydays reported a 2006 revenue of over 757 Millions and gross profit of over 113 Millions, see: http://sec.edgar-online.com/2007/04/02/0001296937-07-000017/Section18.asp

That is over 1.5 billion combined of yearly revenue contributed by us the RV'er to Lazy Days and Winnebago. Fixing an obvious rust issue (see images) does not even dent the pocket book of these companies and yet they can not even stand behind their product and warranty issues. This may scratch their image but other innocent buyers need to be made aware!

I truly hope that Winnebago & Lazydays live up to its advertised integrity, quality and standards and stands behind its products with continued customer support even after they cash our checks.

All help, experience, support and input is greatly appreciated, Thank you !

RGW

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/07 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Itasca and I have no rust but, the front bumber had strees cracks and I had it fixt two times. I finally had to take it to a body shop and pay for it my self. Some warranty.

FrontRangeRVer

8,600 feet elevation in the Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnTheRoadAgain26 wrote:

Lazdays recommended that I contact Winnebago myself. Great service, especially considering that I have a contract and paid Lazydays and not Winnebago.

Ok...what did Winnebago say when you called them? Who did you talk to at Winnebago?

You said it was like that "the day you bought it". How come you bought it?

The link about the frame you posted was the person that posted pics of his rusty Freightliner frame a couple of years ago, and was rusted due to Lazy Days not washing the undercarriage after arrival at the dealership. Winnebago has an agreement with dealers for THEM to wash the undercarriage, and Lazy Days apparently did not do this. This was settled over a year ago.

This is the ONLY one that had a complaint about a rusty frame (from Lazy Days), so to say it's a known Winnebago problem is simply not true.

If your unit was driven in the salty roads during delivery, and wasnt washed properly, its your dealers fault and also yours if you bought it like that.

We use ours all the time in the Winter up here and dont have a speck of rust on ours.....its how you maintain it....you leave the road salt on it and ANYTHING will rust....

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
SOLD 2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)

OnTheRoadAgain26

Naples

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your insights.

1. When I bought the MH the rust was just bubbeling and I pointed it out to the sales person which promised to take care of it next time I bring the RV in. Since then the rust got much worse as you can tell from the pictures. This is my 3 rd. visit and it still does not get fixed.

2. Winnebago declined the first warranty attempt filed by Lazydays. As of LD service adviser he tried a second time, but declined again. Since then it only got pushed to the next day and others desks at Lazydays with zero success and in the mean time I am out of my MH.
I called Winnebago personally (warranty dept.) where I got asked to email detailed pictures with an explanation, which I did right away... so far no response.

FrontRangeRVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you called the Winnebago Service line, who did you talk to?

When did you email the pics?

OnTheRoadAgain26

Naples

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have wrote his name down. I got connected to many times. The email address he gave me is or@winnebagoind.com and the Reference Number 70G45433

FrontRangeRVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok...Call Winnebago back and ask for Bryan Funk. Tell him what is happening with Lazy Days. These type things take some time. I have no doubt that Lazy Days didnt follow through as they should have.

Remember...Lazy Days is not known on these forums for good service...they have good sales, but lousy service.

OnTheRoadAgain26

Naples

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thnak you ! I will, do you have an email of Mr. Funk ?

FrontRangeRVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/07 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnTheRoadAgain26 wrote:

Thnak you ! I will, do you have an email of Mr. Funk ?

No I don't have an email address. You need to call and ask for him personally. He is the head Service Manager at Winnebago and is VERY helpful.

SunflyerA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/07 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a wire brush, some sand paper, and some rust converter in a spray can, and some black spray paint....a couple of hours of your time and your rig won't be rusting anymore....Of course you can also beat on them for weeks and months and then have them do a lousy job or not at all and your rig continues to rust out from under you...your choice.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 2006 WINNEBAGO RUST PROBLEMS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS