Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: mid entry door

Posted By: babahead on 12/23/07 07:38pm

Does anyone know what diesel coaches have a mid entry door? I would also like a rear bath. Any help would be appreciated.
Babahead

Posted By: Rick A M on 12/23/07 07:53pm

babahead wrote:

Does anyone know what diesel coaches have a mid entry door? I would also like a rear bath. Any help would be appreciated.
Babahead

One option is Alpine - one of the best driving coaches on the market.
You would have to test drive it to believe it.
Alpine also features 'smart beds' = motorized under coach storage drawers.
Also large picture windows with dinette on passenger side.
Available in 36' & 40' mid doors = real homey with a mid door - sorry no rear bath but mid bath more accessible in emergency

Alpine Luxury

Floorplans

Posted By: Bill&Pam on 12/23/07 07:56pm

Newell also makes mid-entry coaches.

Bill & Pam, Somewhere, USA
South Dakota domicile
2008 American Revolution 42N
2005 Chevy Colorado TOAD w/M&G Brake system

Posted By: jdart on 12/23/07 08:10pm

Gulf Stream has a mid entry door

Jimmy, Deena & Gene

Posted By: dons2346 on 12/23/07 08:28pm

Safari coaches have mid doors

Posted By: bullydogs1 on 12/23/07 08:31pm

The other mid entry door diesel would be winne/itasca destination or latitude with the freightliner xc chassis option.

Although my wife LOVES the Alpine and I have driven one--it drives BEAUTIFULLY--best coach I've ever driven...although I have not driven a Newmar yet....I also heard that Newmar will build a Dutch Star with a mid door by special order/cost.

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

Posted By: kalynzoo on 12/24/07 12:05am

I believe the Winnebago Tour has one.

Posted By: Circleearth3 on 12/24/07 12:10am

Wait a minute !!! The last RV salesman I asked, said "NO ONE wanted a mid-entry door anymore, that I was the only one that even asked about it in YEARS".

Posted By: PackerBacker on 12/24/07 04:14am

Circleearth3 wrote:

Wait a minute !!! The last RV salesman I asked, said "NO ONE wanted a mid-entry door anymore, that I was the only one that even asked about it in YEARS".

We've been 'looking' for a Class A lately and for us, a mid-door seems more practical. Just my opinion.

Eric
2009 Holiday Rambler Admiral 33SFS (34' 3")
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

Posted By: HippiDude on 12/24/07 04:58am

I wish I could have a mid door diesel. We have the door in the front and there is always someone or something in that front seat when I need to go in or out. It seemed like it would be nice and convenient when we got it but the passenger seat is in the way when loading up for a trip. My MH has a curbside slide-out which limmits how far the seat can go back. As a result the laundry basket will not slide between the seat and dashboard and must be lifted over. Its a small issue with me but I am the one who is always ellected to take the basket in when we get home.Always remember " Be careful what you wish for"! ( I picked this coach)

Posted By: tracer999 on 12/24/07 05:18am

Bill&Pam wrote:

Newell also makes mid-entry coaches.

Also, Newell offers a nice list of other often-requested, but hard to find features: the rear bath option previously requested in this thread, plus an optional Murphy bed, flat-floor slides, and steering tag axle, to name a few.

Merry Christmas!

Posted By: rebel462 on 12/24/07 05:44am

My Winny Vectra DP special edition 36 feet, has a mid entry door and a drivers door. Two things that make life easy on the road.No problem with dirty feet when stopped for fuel,just dump the rubber mat at the drivers feet, once and a while.
Passenger does not have to move anything when stopping for a short break.Load your supplies in mid entry door, no problem. Also when you have company no one has to get up to enter or exit coach..
Coach came this way and is making it hard to find a newer one to replace it.

Posted By: John S. on 12/24/07 06:29am

Foretravel Grand Villas used units are all mid entry and they will make you a new version on the flat front version today too. IF you have a 40 or bigger you can get a bath and a half too on the new ones. Newell makes them but in talking to them they say more people are looking for front entry.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier
Lolly a Ruby Cavalier

Posted By: dav5942 on 12/24/07 06:52am

Newmar makes many floor plans with front and rear doors in addition to doing specials for mid-entry.

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

Posted By: Bikeboy57 on 12/24/07 07:33am

As others have stated, Newell makes coaches with both mid entry and rear bath. The earliest model year for that option I have seen is 97. You didn't say new or used.

Having owned both front and mid entry coaches, I can tell you I GREATLY prefer the mid entry coach for traffic control in and out of the coach. The door divides seating/driving area from the bath/bedroom as far as foot traffic is concerned. Yes, it is a few extra steps to exit at fuel fill ups, but the extra space my navigator has is well worth it. She can make her nest up there and not have to move everything when we stop.

Also, and I don't mean to start a slide/no slide thread, the mid door works very well with a no slide coach for the traffic control reasons I mentioned above.

Richard, Rhonda, Ty, and Alex
1995 Newell with 470HP Detroit Diesel
2005 Gulfstream MB G26
Subaru Outback toad
The blog wersquared.wordpress.com

Posted By: gmanatl on 12/24/07 08:07am

Our Winnebago Chieftain 36' DP has mid entry door and drivers door. I love the convenience of the setup.

Posted By: SPacheco on 12/24/07 08:02pm

We have an Adventurer with mid-entry and a driver's door. I like that configuration; I'm not thrilled about the passenger side front entry.

Steve P.
http://micasademilonga.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Fulltimingman on 12/24/07 08:41pm

All Newell's (other than 1 or 2 show coaches a year) are custom ordered. With the advent of quad slide models, front entry coaches are 'more popular' since they allow a longer front slide on the passenger side. Newell has only offered a front entry for about 4-5 years. Prior to that all the Newell's were mid-entry all the back to the original in 1967.

Michael Day
Newell Coach
PT Cruiser Turbo
Native Texans

Posted By: BigRabbitMan on 12/25/07 10:00pm

Bikeboy57 wrote:

She can make her nest up there and not have to move everything when we stop.

I have only had mid entry coaches (two), but the above reason is why I don't think I/we would like a front entry coach. When my wife "nests", she nests big time! Mine have both also had a driver's door which I like and use.

BigRabbitMan & DiamondGal
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher becoming a Diesel Pusher
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."
DataStorm Satellite internet / I am here-click to see

Posted By: BarbaraOK on 12/26/07 07:54am

Circleearth3 wrote:

And because most people believe the salesman, so the statement becomes self-fullfilling!

I can't tell you the number of people who will say "gee, I wish our DP had a mid-door, I didn't know anyone made them". I also get upset every time I hear about all of the space I supposedly gave up. Of course when I show them how the navigator's seat is (1) placed further forward because there is no front door, and (2) slides back into the dash area and gives a really nice conversational pit, the reply is "well, it really does make a nice layout"

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Traveling catpanion Shadow (age 16)
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS)
Mischief
(2004 Subaru Forester Toad)
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

Print  |  Close