Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: My 1969 Holiday Rambler build. *Update 11/6*
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> My 1969 Holiday Rambler build. *Update 11/6*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Polozola

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your repaint of your trailer looks great. What kind of paint did you use? Did you sand the exterior before you painted? If so, did you use steel wool or sandpaper?

avapj

Southern MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/10 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvme wrote:

FleaM35A2 wrote:

Also, what are your opinions on something like this for the rear bumper?

The bumper on my trailer is 4"x4" steel, and is directly welded to the 5"x2" full-length steel box frame, so I'm not really concerned with structural integrity, but rather if that hitch would be adequate.

I used an almost identical unit on my S-10's step bumper. Worked great for a bike rack or a 4x8 utility trailer. But it did tend to twist the bumper quite a bit. I bolted 2 pieces of angle iron (bed frame rails actually ) to the "front" set of holes angling forward to the truck's frame. That really stiffened things up. If you use one keep a close watch on the rear bumper. The bouncing back there is pretty fierce.

Bob

Hi, Nice job so far! The trailer looks in very good condition. Ours did for many many many years. We had a '68 Holiday Rambler 20' that slept 8. We went all over the country in that thing!

FYI that bumper in the back of ours must've been very strong and durable. We always had 3 bikes on there that I could remember. I was 1 when we got the trailer, but there were 6 of us and as far back as I can remember we always had 3 bikes back there. 3 on there and 3 on the rack attached to the front of our truck. My folks stopped going after I graduated in the 80's. The trailer got passed on to a sibling after that and it was used for quite a few years. Has held up very well. I know my dad always took care of his. I remember every few years he said he would do the roof.

Just curious, does your kitchen have a cutting board?
Ours had one that you pulled out, it was located just above the drawers, but under the counter. Very neat idea. More space to use and such a little piece of wood to make it out of. Wish they did that in today's trailers. Maybe you could take a pic of it if you get a chance.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/09 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOLIDAY RV SUPER STORES INC - Orlando, FL, (407) 351-3096; Tampa, FL, (813) 622-8777; N. Fort Myers, FL, (941) 731-2266; Forest Park, GA, (404) 362-9559; Greer, SC, (864) 877-8218; Orlando, FL, (407) 363-9211; Roseville, CA, (916) 782-3178; Bakersfield, CA, (805) 831-5451; Las Cruces, NM, (505) 523-0715. Specializing in Airstream and Holiday Rambler parts of vintage.

VINTAGE TRAILER SUPPLY - (802) 225-8940 Hard to find parts for those who are restoring AirStream, Shastas, Serro Scottys, Spartans and dozens of other brands of vintage travel trailers.

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

sdecoite

Huntington Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
Good evening!
I recently purchased a 1968 Holiday Rambler in need of some TLC. I am really looking forward to restoring this trailer, but could use some guidance, if possible. Does anyone know where I can find a 60s Holiday Rambler Owner's Manual. Unfortunately, my trailer did not come with one, and I would really like to read up as much informatoin as possible on these fine trailers, before I begin the work. Please help, if possible. Thanks, Steve

gives51

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/10 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you tell me where to hook up my water hose for pressured water? I have a keyed hatch next to the electrical hook-up on the drivers side of the trailer. The tag next to it says something about 80lb of pressure but I've never seen that kind of connection before.

thanks
gi

zthtazmanz28

Harnett County NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are also detailing our 1968 Rambler. It's a 30 footer with rear bed, two doors.

We have some of the original paper work--manuals, appliances, ect...

Would be willing to copy and forward for mailing costs.

Tim and Mary
NC

1998 Dodge 2500 4X4 cummins
1998 Coachmen Cataline 320 RKS 5er

Blue Road Blogger

Blue Road Blog

Bill T

upstate sc

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/09 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found your post. Very interesting. I have a '73 HR VACATIONEER, 18', covered up for my retirement project.

I am paticularly interested in the method you are using in painting your trailer. I was dreading the cost of having the trailer spray painted, but your roller painting sounds good.

Did you know your units model number is stamped on the trailer tounge?

Are you anywere near Copperhill, my hometown?

Good luck with your project and keep the pictures coming!!

Bill T

Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

FleaM35A2

East TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/09 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The roller method is good; I am satisfied with the turnout. You won't get a mirror finish, but most trailers are semigloss white anyways unless they're polished or custom.

Keep in mind, this is a $500 trailer, and I want to have less than $1000 in it when I'm done. So far, I am WELL under budget. I have about $600 invested, including the trailer. So, $100 in supplies. I may have to buy some lumber for the roof, but that won't be very expensive, and I will do the replacement work myself. The insulation is the thing I am working out at the time being -- rolled "pink fiberglass" vs. the "foam board" and which I wish to use.

There will be a difference in this "home-refurbished" trailer vs. factory built, but I am ok with that. It is a budget build, but I am pretty exacting with my fit/finish tolerance. This primarily means things like painting the old countertops vs. getting new ones.

Bill, I am in the Tri-Cities. Little ways away, but no more than a couple hours drive (perhaps a few in the Deuce)!

1971 AM General M35A2
1969 Holiday Rambler 27 Ft.

FleaM35A2

East TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer moves forward! Tonight I got a step closer to getting the thing road worthy. I finally got a chance to dig into the electrics (12v). After some fiddling of wires and re-soldering of a couple connections, the electric brakes are working, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, 12V off the vehicle powers all 12V accessories just fine. Now to get a 12V alternator on the truck!

However, NONE of the running lights work. Not one. That could be because they're all burnt out, but I imagine there's a wire cut or crossed somewhere on the harness. Since I'm tearing the roof out on the inside anyways, it shouldn't be too much trouble to reconnect/rewire as necessary.

Sorry, no pictures tonight, as it was too dark by the time I was finished.

Davea07

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is just Cooler then Cool! Very Nice! That is a great project. Nice job on the progress.

2008 Denali 295BS-DSL, Equalizer WD hitch, Prodigy brake controller.
2007 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 6.7L, 6sp automatic.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> My 1969 Holiday Rambler build. *Update 11/6*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS