Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Leaky Roadtrek sewer hose

Posted By: kenuck on 10/01/08 07:30am

Is anyone else having problems with the small diameter Roadtrek sewer hose? We bought our RT210P last September - started on big trip May 2008 and the macerator pump went (1st day out). Finally got it replaced in Ohio (mid May). The dealer said the hose had some small leaks so they replaced it (with a heavier duty version). Here we are on another trip and the hose extension sprung a big leak (1st day out again). I managed to splice it with a short length of solid pipe, silicone and hose clamps. Couple days later it sprung another big leak - under the van this time! Was going to try splicing again but on closer inspection, it looks like the hose is ready to split in several more places.

Heading down to Denver to get a replacement and then try to find someone to install it. Are these hoses only good for 6 months? Has anyone tried replacing the permanent parts with pipe? That delicate hose is very exposed and could be easily damaged. Also, it doesn't seem to take flexing very well. Any ideas apppreciated.

Posted By: retired4fun2002 on 10/01/08 03:33pm

We met a couple in FL that had a 210 and they were really vocal about the hose developing leaks. I remember looking at it and saying why would RT finally make the macerator standard, but put a substandard hose system in there. I showed them the hose we bought from a firm that sells macerator systems for RV's. We have also seen posts here and elsewhere of the same type complaints and frustrations. We have an '05 RT190P and bought a hose from Sani-something along with the macerator;have had our hose in for 4 years and have yet to develop a leak. I hear this about that hose and getting it fixed under warranty and I personally feel it is putting a bandaid on a serious cut!!!

Posted By: dwhitmoyer on 10/03/08 08:34am

By the way, I posted the question to Roadtrek. Here is their response.

Diane,

Thank you very much for forwarding these posts to me!

Although there were some failures in the field, the hose that Roadtrek uses is the best quality hose that falls within the guidelines we have to abide by. The issues that did occur were replaced under warranty. We do provide a one year warranty on the hoses, which I believe is the longest in the industry.

The hoses do break down over time and need to be replaced. I'm not sure of a heavier duty hose that is available, but I would recommend that if you do experience failure within the first year, to use the warranty that is available to you. Fretz is a great company and will take very good care of you for any service issues!

Best regards,
Dawn Crowe
Technical Sales Representative
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. (formerly Home & Park Motorhomes)
100 Shirley Avenue
Kitchener, Ontario
N2B 2E1
(519) 745-0711 ext. 1166
(888) 825-2772 ext. 1166

I downsized my rig to fit my dog.

Posted By: dmomberg on 10/03/08 08:32am

There's more on macerator hoses in this forum. Find the topic
"Hole in sewer hose", last post 08/13/08

Posted By: kenuck on 10/01/08 08:01pm

Agreed. We spent the day driving down to Denver and back to get a new (and hopefully better - not the Roadtrek part, but one recommended by the dealer; made by Cleandump) hose installed ($180) - now lets see, who do I send the bill to at Roadtrek?

* This post was edited 10/01/08 08:30pm by kenuck *

Posted By: RonBoyd on 10/02/08 08:29am

I am not sure I understand this fully. I purchased a 2008 210V in July and when the hose leaked (right away), the Denver Dealer replaced it quickly and without discussion. There was no cost to me so I assumed that Roadtrek had approved the replacement under the Warranty. The new hose, BTW, is the same size but is of a much thicker, tougher material... and is blue in color.

Ron

2008 Roadtrek 210 Versatile

Posted By: 1donald on 10/04/08 08:45pm

Ask your dealer to order a Thetford Hose. Ours (2007 RT 210P also developed leaks several times however the warranty period had expired. Our Dealer (Van City) advised us to replace with the Thetford which they had placed on a number of Roadtreks with success. The new hose is very flexible, takes up a lot less room in the drawer as it has a good deal of stretch to it. I think even in the winter time, it will hold up and keep it's flexibility.

Anyway, so far, so good.

It is black, not white like the original hose. We think it will do a good job, long term. We shall see.

Don & Jean
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Don & Jean
2013 LTV Unity TB (Diesel Generator)(Stabilizer Jacks)(Macerator)(Side Turn Camera)(Entertainment Pkg)

Posted By: 1donald on 10/08/08 09:33am

If anyone is interested in the Thetford Sani-Con Macerator Hose, I talked to Van City today about some other issues, but they will ship one of these hoses to you at a cost of approximately $81.00 plus UPS Charges. Call 1-800-467-3905 and ask for Matt. He indicated it was ok to pass this info on to the RV Net Forum people. Will not qualify for Roadtrek Warranty however.

Keep in mind however that this is not a hose that Roadtrek will reimburse if you are still under warranty. If your vehicle is still within warranty, then you will have to have your dealer install Roadtrek hose as the Thetford Hose is not approved by Roadtrek to replace the Original.

As I indicated in an earlier post, we had the Thetford installed and we think just by seeing how flexible it is and the fact that it takes up a lot last room in the storage drawer as it has a lot of stretch to it. We are very pleased with it so far. Works great!!!
Don & Jean

Posted By: REK1 on 10/06/08 10:28pm

Is this leaking problem a 210 phenomenon? Our 2006/2007 RS has not had a problem yet in two years of regular use. I am wondering if we should do a premptive fix?

Ron - Roadtrek RS Adventurous

Posted By: anniekfran on 10/06/08 02:57pm

Quote:

Ask your dealer to order a Thetford Hose. Ours (2007 RT 210P also developed leaks several times however the warranty period had expired. Our Dealer (Van City) advised us to replace with the Thetford which they had placed on a number of Roadtreks with success. The new hose is very flexible, takes up a lot less room in the drawer as it has a good deal of stretch to it. I think even in the winter time, it will hold up and keep it's flexibility.

Anyway, so far, so good.

It is black, not white like the original hose. We think it will do a good job, long term. We shall see.

Don & Jean

DITTO! Don't fool around with Roadtrek's replacement hoses as we've had each one leak! The Thetford seems the way to go!
(Hi Don)
DITTO! Don't fool around with Roadtrek's replacement hoses as we've had each one leak! The Thetford seems the way to go!
(Hi Don)

Ann & Curt
Southern California
2007 Roadtrek 210P "TOADREK"
1986 VW Westphalia Camper

2007 Nights Camping > 71
2008 Nights Camping > 63
2009 Nights Camping > 74

Posted By: Huck BB62 on 10/12/08 02:19am

I'm going with the Thetford next time. I got the same lame excuse from RT when I complained about the stock hose. Perhaps someone should ship a Thetford to RT so that they can see the error or their opinion.

I'm on my second stock hose replacement. I feel like a ninny for making the same mistake twice. Look how they route the thing too. The tie wraps bind and pinch the stock hose, that's how flimsy it is, and then they put it alongside sharp objects like the tank pull handle bracket. It's just common sense right?

'07 Roadtrek Popular 210

Posted By: kenuck on 10/03/08 08:44pm

dwhitmoyer wrote:

Diane,

Thank you very much for forwarding these posts to me!

Although there were some failures in the field, the hose that Roadtrek uses is the best quality hose that falls within the guidelines we have to abide by. The issues that did occur were replaced under warranty. We do provide a one year warranty on the hoses, which I believe is the longest in the industry.

Actually the CleanDump hose has a 3 year warranty - we'll see how long it lasts. Not sure if the 1 year warranty from Roadtrek "rolls" or not - in other words does each hose have a 1 year warranty, because in my case the first went in about 8 months and the next about 4 months later. In any case, I really don't want to have to replace the hose before each trip I take.

Posted By: booster on 10/07/08 02:04pm

Does anyone have the part number for the Thetford hose? I checked their website and could only find Macerator kits, no loose hose. Our hose is still OK, but hardly used, so I it sure sounds like we will be needing one like most everyone else has.

Posted By: Spdrush on 10/07/08 10:44pm

I had my selling dealer no longer a RT dealer replace the hose on my 190P just 3 weeks before the one year anniversary.
I was told that the new hose was an upgrade but it was the same as the OE hose.
I think a contributing factor for the cracks is overbending the hose to put it into the compartment. The end has a valve with a handle that is too long for the opening. I cut 1/2 of the handle off each side and it goes in tha compartment much more easily.
When it breaks again I will upgrade better hose.

Kim RT07190Popular

Posted By: FLSTFI on 02/12/09 09:30pm

I have a question about putting the Sani-Con hose on an RT210.
Since the hose is stored in the drawer that slides in and out it has extra length that curls up behind the drawer when closed. Since this hose is much more flexible how do you keep that loop from falling down instead of going up?

And is this the same hose I see advertised as 7 feet stretching to 21 feet?

Posted By: jeffcarp on 10/26/08 09:31am

I find the CleanDump hose on the Internet for $78, with a valve assembly. Do you know if the end of the CleanDump hose directly attaches to the existing macerator pump, or was an adapter of some type necessary. This seems to be a fairly easy job after dewinterizing if the hose fits the outlet of the existing macerator pump.

kenuck wrote:

REK1 wrote:

The replacement hose they installed was green with black spiral stripes and a little stiffer than the old white one. They said it was a Roadtrek replacement part and should last much longer than the first.

Do you know the brand of hose? I wonder if Roadtrek has finally decided to change brands? Our CleanDump hose is clear with blue spiral stripes and it was recommended by the Denver Roadtrek dealer, but they said it was not a Roadtrek part.

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

Posted By: REK1 on 10/26/08 03:32pm

jeffcarp wrote:

I find the CleanDump hose on the Internet for $78, with a valve assembly. Do you know if the end of the CleanDump hose directly attaches to the existing macerator pump, or was an adapter of some type necessary. This seems to be a fairly easy job after dewinterizing if the hose fits the outlet of the existing macerator pump.

kenuck wrote:

REK1 wrote:

The replacement hose they installed was green with black spiral stripes and a little stiffer than the old white one. They said it was a Roadtrek replacement part and should last much longer than the first.

Do you know the brand of hose? I wonder if Roadtrek has finally decided to change brands? Our CleanDump hose is clear with blue spiral stripes and it was recommended by the Denver Roadtrek dealer, but they said it was not a Roadtrek part.
I saw close up when they installed the new hose. You had to remove a protective cover held on with a couple of sheet metal screws over the macerator. The connection of the hose was just like a washing machine drain hose. You just pushed it on and held it with an adjustable pipe clamp. Very straight forward. Ron

Posted By: REK1 on 10/20/08 11:34am

I didn't catch the name of the hose but the Roadtrek service/warranty manager I spoke with did say they had switched hoses in production not because of the failure rate but because of the lower costs associated with the new one. He refused to acknowledge there was a "problem" with the original hose supplied.

Posted By: REK1 on 10/19/08 11:33pm

REK1 wrote:

Our 2006/2007 RS has not had a problem yet in two years of regular use. I am wondering if we should do a premptive fix?

I guess I spoke too soon. On our trip to Pismo Beach this past week our hose split at the base of the back wall in the hose cabinet. What a mess because I didn't see the leak right away during dumping.
I was able to get to our dealer, McMahon's in Scott's Valley. Jay, Jim and John couldn't have been more helpful. They replaced it in about an hour and we were back on the road. The replacement hose they installed was green with black spiral stripes and a little stiffer than the old white one. They said it was a Roadtrek replacement part and should last much longer than the first.

Posted By: TREK 07 on 03/21/09 08:01am

For what it's worth, we too as many others have replaced our sewer hose on our 2007 Roadtrek 210. We are very disapointed that Roadtrek does not stand behind what appears to be a defective part. Our replacement hose was not coverd under warranty even though our unit was just over a year old. We replace the OEM hose with the Thetford Sani-Con hose and by all indications will work much better. Very flexibe and easy to store.

As for the hose portion that curls up behind the drawer on a RT 210, this loop length is short enough not to be a problem hanging down too far.

Jim and Mary
FMCA F405952

Posted By: kenuck on 10/20/08 10:06am

REK1 wrote:

Posted By: booster on 12/14/08 09:36am

Our Sani-con hose showed up yesterday from RV Upgrades. We are still under warranty, and our hose hasn't broken yet, but with all the issues I read about here, we will just do an upgrade and be done with it.

At the same time, I plan on getting rid of the very circuitous (sp) routing of the hose from the pump to hose compartment. It goes over, under around and through the frame in a long path. I think that I can use pvc pipe with a flex coupler to the pump and to a bulkhead fitting at the compartment, with a hose barb inside the compartment. This will also give us quite a bit more hose length, as we aren't wasting it taking laps around the underside of the van.

Posted By: booster on 02/13/09 09:41am

I haven't ever looked at the 210 setup, so I can't give much insight, but I would think that the worst case would be to use a short length of regular hose (not Roadtrek's, but one of the other ones folks have mentioned) to a hose barb at the back of the drawer, and then another barb to the flexible hose in the drawer. Still pretty easy, I think.

Yes, this is the hose that they advertise as storing at 7", stretching to 21'.

Posted By: booster on 01/24/09 07:45pm

I did the conversion to pvc pipe underneath and Sani-con hose a bit ago. This is on our 07 Roadtrek 190P.

As it turned out the barb threaded right into the existing hole in the compartment.

This is the backside of the compartment. The first fitting is threaded and glued onto the barb and also clamps the back of the compartment for rigidity.

This is the middle part of the piping that runs on the backside of the frame section that the original hose went inside of.

This is the connection to the pump from the pvc piping. It is done with barb fittings and a piece of 1" industrial heavy duty rubber heater hose. It is needed as the pump and tanks move around a bit as they fill and empty and bounce down the road. The pump cover is off in the pic.

This shows the modified valve handle, to fit through the opening better, on the original Roadtrek hose valve, which was reused. It was heated and bent.

The finished product with all 21' of hose and the valve in the compartment, which is now not even 1/2 full!

Posted By: doghouse_owner on 01/24/09 07:17pm

Well, another adventure.
While waiting in the service area waiting room, the service manager showed me the replacement hose (a much thicker walled green with black stripe hose) sent to him from Roadtrek. Unfortunately while the rig was in the back, his tech installed more hose similar to the OEM stuff - something I only discovered on the drive home when I stopped to dump at the local rest area dump site. When I called the service manager, he found out that his tech had thought the new hose would be too stiff, and instead used Monaco Coach approved replacement hose (which in my opinion was exactly the same stuff as what had just split). However, I stuck to my guns and requested the Roadtrek approved hose (maybe just being OCD about the warranty, but I liked the green with black stripe stuff so much better than the prior white hoses which so inconveniently split open in so many places). So, back in it went (they actually were very apologetic and made arrangements to pick up and return my RV to my house ~ 30 miles from the shop) coming out finally with the Roadtrek approved replacement hose (green with black stripe). I have since dumped with it 3 times without any issues. Although thicker walled, it pulls out and pushes back into the storage compartment somewhere underneath much, much more easily than the prior three hoses, even in the near freezing winter temps we've been experiencing here in the PacNW.
Meant to get the manufacturer's name on that hose, but couldn't find anything on the box sent by Roadtrek to the service department. Anyone else pick up on the name/manufacturer? So far, I think it's the best replacement yet.
Oh, BTW, the service manager stated that the one year warranty does NOT roll over with the replacement of the hose.

* This post was edited 01/24/09 07:55pm by doghouse_owner *

Wendy
Owned and trained by Cocoa, Mikey and the Ollie-man - all with great recalls

2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous - recall x 3
2009 Honda Sport Fit - no recall
Stowaway2 on swingaway tow frame - no recall
2002 Honda Odyssey EXL - now with a recall!

Posted By: doghouse_owner on 12/14/08 01:13am

I will be taking my 2008 RT RS in on Tuesday to get the macerator hose replaced for the second time, under warranty. So, I guess I will have to take what they give me, but I will take note of the source and part number. I will also find out if the warranty "rolls" with the replacement part. If I can influence them on which hose to use, I'll see if they will use the Thetford Sani-con or CleanDump hose.

Posted By: doghouse_owner on 01/24/09 07:59pm

Great job Booster. Just wish this was an option with the RS Adventurous - the Sprinter does NOT have the rear drawer for storage of the hose, but rather it is coiled in a space underneath the chassis. Replacement of the hose into the storage space with the original hoses consisted of pushing and hoping it was coiling and NOT jamming and bending.....This new hose just seems to go back very easily.
Wendy
2008 RT RSA

Posted By: mmckell on 10/12/08 07:40pm

My 2007 RT 170 developed a hole in the hose at around 8 months. The original white hose was so hard to fit into the storage space, it's no wonder it didn't split in two. I had it replaced with a black Sanicon hose under warranty. The difference in the flexibility is remarkable and it now fits easily into the storage space with room left over.

Posted By: ntr1 on 03/20/09 09:42pm

I own a 2007 RT190P that we got Feb 2008 new off the lot. We have really enjoyed the adventure and can not thank you enough for the sewer hose information. The hose showed no sign of cracks or splits all last season with many dumps. Then this spring the valve on the end almost fell off when the hose split. The PVC seemed to turn into clay. It seemed that the part of the hose that was flexed by the valve end developed small cracks that became openings. The hose under the camper by the pump looked good out to and into the storage area. So, I cut the hose just outside of the storage box door and extended it with a Thetford part 70424 or UPC "0 28985 70424 9" thanks to your postings. The Thetford hose is an extension that is 1" and streches 7 feet to 21 feet. It is really flexable and fits nicely in the storage area. My source was Endless Summer RV's in Frederick, MD 1-800-301-4787 www.endlesssummerrv.com. He offered to mail it to me but we drove up there and bought it. It cost with tax $84.16 about $60.00 more than I thought it should be worth but your postings sold me.

Posted By: longtimecampers on 06/22/09 10:42pm

Curious to know if any 2004 Roadtrek owners have had sewer hose problems? Since we bought a used RT, we don't know if this is the original hose or a replacement....it is black. We do know, however, this dumping system is terrible to use! Plus it appears that there is a missing spring that should hold the whole thing up according to pictures in the manual. It's nearly impossible to stuff the hose, with the cap on, far enough back into the tube to close down the cover and fit the cotter pin in it's hole. You need three hands! Had to finally remove the cover and leave it off completely in the middle of our last trip. No consequences, but suppose little critters could crawl up in there without a cap on. Any suggestions?

Nothing was edited from this post. Mod error.

* This post was edited 06/22/09 10:56pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 06/22/09 10:59pm

Probably not the original, so just cut some off the end of the hose. Roadtrek did away with the spring set up, but I don't remember when. The newer system had a strap that, when the tube was lowered, held it up.
I still have my original hose, and I'm very careful about getting little pebbles out from the creases in the tube before I store it. That is the main problem causing the hose failures.
You may have to order a spring from your Rt dealer, they just rivet into the tube, very easy fix. I would try to find one somewhere first though, a lot cheaper.

* This post was edited 06/22/09 11:12pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 11/20/09 01:45pm

It sounds like you are creating a vacuum inside the tube.
Try leaving the little drain cap off the end of the hose, or leave one of the valves open, before you put the hose back in the tube. Then close the valve, or screw the cap back on.
Rt did away with the spring set up, sometime after 2003.

Read my other post in this thread.

Posted By: amacrae on 06/23/09 03:42pm

REK1 wrote:

Is this leaking problem a 210 phenomenon? Our 2006/2007 RS has not had a problem yet in two years of regular use. I am wondering if we should do a premptive fix?

I agree; two years+ with mine and haven't had any sign of a problem.

Alan
2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
FMCA F386555
W1ALM

Posted By: sheepherd on 11/20/09 08:26am

[quote=longtimecampers]Curious to know if any 2004 Roadtrek owners have had sewer hose problems? Since we bought a used RT, we don't know if this is the original hose or a replacement....it is black. We do know, however, this dumping system is terrible to use! Plus it appears that there is a missing spring that should hold the whole thing up according to pictures in the manual. It's nearly impossible to stuff the hose, with the cap on, far enough back into the tube to close down the cover and fit the cotter pin in it's hole. You need three hands! Had to finally remove the cover and leave it off completely in the middle of our last trip. No consequences, but suppose little critters could crawl up in there without a cap on. Any suggestions? [quote=longtimecampers]

I'm bringing this subject back up. I have the same problem on my 2006 Roadtrek Versatile. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this easier to do? By the way, this unit does not have the macerator.

Pat

2006 Roadtrek 190 Versatile

Posted By: sheepherd on 11/20/09 04:35pm

My Roadtrek wrote:

It sounds like you are creating a vacuum inside the tube.
Try leaving the little drain cap off the end of the hose, or leave one of the valves open, before you put the hose back in the tube. Then close the valve, or screw the cap back on.
Rt did away with the spring set up, sometime after 2003.

Read my other post in this thread.

Thanks Rodger, makes sense, I'll try both of those suggestions next time.

Pat

Posted By: doghouse_owner on 06/24/09 09:53am

I had my hose replaced at the 1 year mark due to multiple holes (2nd replacement) with a Roadtrek approved, thicker walled, yet still remarkably flexible green hose with black striping (in the direction of the coiling) and have had no problems since.
Will send picture when I figure out how.
Wendy A

Print  |  Close