Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Want to make it shine, bright and new again
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Want to make it shine, bright and new again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/09 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I assume there is no easy way to go about this. I want to bring a nice clean, bright shine to my Travel Supreme. It has set outside in the elements for the last three to four years and needs a real good deep cleaning done to the exterior. I know it will require a strong amount of elbow action, but what steps and products workd the best and last the longest? Please don't be afraid to go into detail. It is a gel coat finish, decals in good condition. Should I use a buffer to apply or take off or both?
Thanks for your input and sharing your experiance with me/us.

2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have)">

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/09 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did I mess the description of what is the material? aluminum or fiberglass?
If the latter you need a rubbing compound. Not sure if it is by hand or machine. Maybe the container will have instructions.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/09 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a starting point .. you might consider purchasing a bar of lava soap and placing it in an old thick sock .. washing the rig and scrubbing with the sock will go a long way in removing the build up crud. Lava/sock trick is used by many to remove old black streaks which are often tough to remove. Just a thought.

Kevin

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/09 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What material?

Advice for filon, gel coat FG, and painted surfaces are VERY different.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/09 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I also suggest Poliglow? Developed for the marine industry, it is a two part system - actually three. First you wash your rig removing all bugs and black streaks. Then wet the fiberglass and mist on the PoliPrep and use the furnished scrubber pad. Scrubbing is not difficult - much easier than buffing or wiping wax. This step will remove all prior wax coatings. It does not damage your vinyl decals. After the fiberglass dries, apply the Poliglow with the furnished applicator in very thin coats. It is applied like a varnish, i.e., a light feathering in touch.

It is an acrylic polish, not a wax and the first coat will pretty much soak into the micro fiberglass pores. After it dries for 1 minute or more, apply another thin coat, let dry and coat again with a thin coat. Apply 4-6 coats. While you can re-coat with only a minute interval, you can wait longer if you wish. Since it is not a wax, there is zero buffing. You put on thin coats so there is no running or sagging.

I would urge that you not try to shortcut the process by over applying rather than using the thin coat process. You will be unhappy. The polish is also decal friendly. The result will change your dull oxidized finish into mirrors. Literally. It will be at least as good as it originally was from the factory.

With my shoulders, I cannot wax and buff my rig. I can apply both stages of this product without adverse effects. In full FL sun, it will last a year or more. It can be re-coated anytime. Should you ever want to start from scratch again, the PoliPrep will remove the Poliglow. It does not work on painted metal.

I had our rig waxed twice per year and still the front cap deteriorated. The last two times, I asked that the front cap be re-waxed for more protection. It felt slippery to the touch but the shine was gone. Last fall I asked someone else in this park what he did to his rig. It was a 1999 Montana and you could see yourself in the cap as you passed by on the street. He told my about this product and I used it and couldn't believe the difference. I'd even go out at night to see the lights and the moon reflect off the endcap. It was still in superb shape this fall as I applied another couple of coats. I don't work for the company nor am I compensated in anyway.

Winnebago 30C Aspect
Saturn Vue
My 2016 Summer Trip

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/09 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean it with Clorox and Blue Coral Wash and Wax (Walmart $3.89 a gallon). The mixture is three cups of Clorox to five cups of Blue coral to a 2 1/2 gallon bucket. Use a stiff brisles brush and start at the top and work your way down, rinse well. Then every time after that wash with blue coral without Clorox and the bees wax in the Blue Coral will wax it for you. The mixture cleans awning too, and rubber roofs.

jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/09 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a Gel Coat finish as mentioned above.
I have used the Blue Coral, but not mixed with the Clorox, does this tend to bleach out or dry out the rubber screw cap molding?

avan,
Do you order this off of the net or is it avalible at any local establishments?
How many bottles does it take to cover a 40 foot Travel Supreme?

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/09 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can click on the link provided in my post and it will take you to their web site where you can order. For my 40' 5ver, I ordered the "kit" which includes the Poliprep and the Poliglow and the applicator. To finish mine, I needed to order a second bottle of the Poliglow though it didn't take too much more. I was so happy with the results that I was delighted to order another bottle and pay the shipping again. It truly looks like the day it was delivered.

I've also purchased a new set of graphics for the front cap from the guy that bought TS's parts inventory. Next time I strip the front cap, I'll put on the new graphics. Every 2 yrs I pull all the white rubber capping out of the aluminum track that covers the screws and replace that. That also helps maintain the like new look. I've got about 600' of that left so I guess I can keep doing that a few more times.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Did I mess the description of what is the material? aluminum or fiberglass?

Quote:

What material ?

jonrjen wrote:

It is a gel coat finish

lets see GEl coat, doesn't that mean fiberglass ??

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung S4 and/or Novatel 2200 MiFi

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/09 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SIMONIZE or better yet. What is that company that does the boat finishes, Meguiars or something like that.

If it's been sitting out for a while do the full process, Deep clean and wax

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Want to make it shine, bright and new again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS