Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What happened to the Toyota RV's?

Posted By: KC10Chief on 04/09/09 01:37pm

Anybody know why they stopped making the small, Toyota Class C campers? I think they stopped making them around 1994. All of the Class C motor homes I see these days are pretty big and built on one ton or bigger Chevy or Ford chassis'. I realize that the Toyota campers all had beefed up suspension, but they were in a nice, small package.

Is there no market for smaller motor homes? Something that gets a little better mileage and you can park in a regular parking spot appeals to me anyways. Some of the older ones even had 4x4. Anybody know what the problem is?

2002 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab. 7.3 PSD
1993 International Carpenter School Bus w/7.3L Diesel
2ea. Honda EU2000i Generators in parallel
Myself, 1 wife, 1 son, 1 daughter, 1 dog

Posted By: PopBeavers on 04/09/09 01:46pm

Good question.

In 1980 my neighbor had one. His two daughters were around 5 and 7.

Besides camping in it, it was his daily driver. I have no idea what the mileage was, but his office was only 10 miles from home. Too far to ride a bicycle, but close enough to justify avoiding the purchase of yet another car. The RV and his wife's car both fit in the driveway. An additional car would have been parked on the narrow street.

Wayne in San Jose
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Sportsman X2,2008 Polaris Scrambler 500

Posted By: catman2130093 on 04/09/09 01:48pm

Same thing happened to Toyota that happened to VW. The pricing necessary to turn a profit on these smaller campers put them in competition with full sized rvs. VW even tried going with a Winnebago conversion on the Eurovan chassis but it was very spendy for what it was. All Eurovan conversions (Winnebago,Westfalia)have amazing resale value, check ebay! Toyota also had gained a poor reputation for rear axle failures, which they did address, but by the time they got it right, the damage was done..

Posted By: BuckBarker on 04/09/09 01:56pm

Out here in AZ where the road salt doesn't rot out vehicles, I see those old Toyota and VW campers everywhere. Not for me, but they sure filled a need in their time.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 04/09/09 02:02pm

I thought some company just used the Toyota chassis. So Toyota actually built and sold a MH? There are still a lot around here too but they are getting old. One guy has three I see when I pass. They are on E-Bay from time to time.

Posted By: trop-a-cal on 04/09/09 02:02pm

The design was bad, as the brakes would burn out due to under sizing. The front was disc and they had to be replace including rotors as they would burn and worp. The new European styed Caravans with 4 cylinder diesels are coming. They get 30 hwy with a six speed transmission. They have been used in Europe for years and are great for around town and camping.

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 04/09/09 02:49pm

Here is a fun Toyota Motorhome Club... here are the Toyota Motorhome names that were made at one time...See how many you recognise!

Belair, Blue Marlin, Chinook, Coachman, Conquest, Dolphin, Durango, Encore, Escaper, Granville, GULF STREAM, Heritage, Huntsman, Itasca, Keystone, Mirage, MRV, New Horizon, Odyssey, Seabreeze, Sunland, Sunrader, Travelmaster, TRT, Vader, and Winnebago.

I see more Dolphins around here than anything, most are trundling along under their own power still!

Hey, if you check out this website, note that it is a bit disturbing that the poor little Toyota RV appears to be in flames!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 04/09/09 02:57pm

I have seen a few and it was a good low cost RV, but I wouldn't want one because they are under powered for all that weight. a trip up Hwy 395, California to Reno going up the Walker Grade and a few others that way, a person could walk that fast.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

Posted By: kknowlton on 04/09/09 04:13pm

I remember reading that they were built too heavy for their chassis. Not an especially safe vehicle. That said, we did see one within the last couple years. It was pretty beat up, but evidently still running.

Posted By: Handbasket on 04/09/09 04:26pm

AIUI, the real reason is that Toyota quit supplying the chassis for moho conversion. They had too many warranty claims (and maybe feared liability issues) because many of the moho makers were building them up to and maybe beyond the GVWR, dry.

There's a lot of good info on them on the yahoo group, toyota-campers.

Jim, "The Vista Eveready Bunny... it keeps loading, and loading, and loading...."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: midnightsadie on 04/09/09 05:09pm

I know where theres one ,only has 4000. miles on it ,almost show room new , parked in a garage b.not for sale

Posted By: ReneeG on 04/09/09 05:37pm

I owned one. It was a Winnebago Warrior on a Toyota Chassis. We were the second owners. It was great. Even lived in it for three months when we moved to a different state. It was a V6 and had plenty of power for climbing hills. Can't remember the gas mileage but it was a cutie to have and better than a tent, let me tell ya. It had a generator built in with the start switch inside behind the driver's seat, so when I wanted to use the microwave, we turned it on there. It also had four burners on the stove and have never seen any other RV with four burners since. Really don't need four but it had it. The model we had, had a gel coat siding not the corrugated aluminum siding.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Posted By: skipnchar on 04/09/09 05:52pm

At the time they were making them they had neither the engine or the chassis to make the product viable and competitive with others on the market. You DO still see a few of them putting along down the highway though.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: tatest on 04/09/09 08:28pm

The reason the RV manufacturers stopped making the Toyota motorhome was that Toyota stopped importing the chassis. Whether the reasons were warranty, technical, or commercial, is up for grabs. Around that time, we greatly boosted our import tax on trucks over a particular GVWR, and Toyota was moving toward U.S. manufacture of a somewhat larger truck that would be in direct competition with the high GVWR version of the smaller truck.

Winnebago, which had been the largest producer of C's on the Toyota chassis, switched to a front-drive Renault chassis for their smallest motorhomes, and then to the VW front-drive Eurovan chassis (which remained available through 2004). At the prices necessary to cover cost of the chassis, these were just as expensive as a C six foot longer and 3000 pounds heavier on an American van, and we didn't buy very many of them.

If you want one, you might find it used.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/09/09 08:45pm

Winnebago Australia still makes a Toyota based Motorhome..The Huntsman based on a 3 litre diesel Toyota Hilux.

Posted By: ron.dittmer on 04/09/09 08:56pm

We owned This One for 24 years. We loved it. Because it was aero-dynamic, not self contained, tiny & weighing only 4500 pounds loaded, it's 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine with 4-speed stick shift transmission averaged 18.5mpg over-all on trips. It got just over 20mpg on the open road. But to get that, you had to cruise a steady 57mph which was it's sweet spot.

We bought it new in 1983 for $12,255, and sold it in 2007 for $7,600. We need home ammenities, now in our later years.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/09/09 11:35pm

Inside the Winnebago Huntsman:

Posted By: Xpltivdletd on 04/10/09 12:01am

Re: "Inside the Winnebago Huntsman:"

That's a LOT of interior for such a compact RV. I'm impressed.

Posted By: Xpltivdletd on 04/10/09 12:17am

ron.dittmer wrote:

We owned This One for 24 years. We loved it. Because it was aero-dynamic, not self contained, tiny & weighing only 4500 pounds loaded, it's 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine with 4-speed stick shift transmission averaged 18.5mpg over-all on trips. It got just over 20mpg on the open road. But to get that, you had to cruise a steady 57mph which was it's sweet spot.

We bought it new in 1983 for $12,255, and sold it in 2007 for $7,600. We need home ammenities, now in our later years.

Thank you, Ron. I have seen those but NEVER standing still, until your pics. Now I know what I was seeing. What an amazing exercise in fitting stuff together.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/10/09 01:53am

Quote:

I noticed there was another Huntsman on the Toyota Motorhome list, but the Winnebago Huntsman is named after a Spider. Anyway the front part of the RV.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 04/10/09 05:07am

years back when I first was looking at motorhomes, my BIL who was my mentor said, "I hope you aren't looking at the toyota ones". I got the message.
bumpy

Posted By: ron.dittmer on 04/10/09 05:48am

Xpltivdletd wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

Thank you, Ron. I have seen those but NEVER standing still, until your pics. Now I know what I was seeing. What an amazing exercise in fitting stuff together.

You are welcome!

The creator really did utilize the interior space. When you don't have appliances or a bathroom, it really opens up nicely with enough storage as long as you don't over-pack, and room for 4.

Mirage did offer them self contained starting in 1984 or 1985, but they were weighed down heavy, more cluttered, and lacked storage. They replaced the dual entry rear awning door with a fiberglass tumor for the bathroom, useful only to thinner people. They had a side entry door. Near the bottom of my Mirage website, look for the Mirage brochure. You will see a small picture of one with that bath and side door.

* This post was edited 04/10/09 06:20am by ron.dittmer *

Posted By: samsontdog on 04/10/09 09:11am

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

I have seen a few and it was a good low cost RV, but I wouldn't want one because they are under powered for all that weight. a trip up Hwy 395, California to Reno going up the Walker Grade and a few others that way, a person could walk that fast.

I traveled all the HWY that you mentioned with my 92 Toy Winnebago
6 Cy several years ago. I had no problems keeping up with the traffic . Most of the time I towed a flat bed trailer with my MC
on it. I have owned at least 5 Toy MHs. Probably put well over 100K on them. The best one I owned was a 87 4 Cy with a 4 sp, never got under 20 MPG. I should have kept the 92 Toy I had but a Lady offered me $20K for it and I have been looking for another one every since.
Someone else said "you have to replace the front brakes" I never had a problem with the brakes. I did have to replace the fuel filter one time on the 87. The Toy MHs were and are great LITTLE MHs

samsontdog

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/10/09 09:12am

Believe me Guys and Ladies, the thousands of Toyota Motorhome owners still outthere are getting a real chuckle out of this thread.

To clear up a few myths:

The "Rear Axle" problem was caused by the coach builders overloading the chassis, and had nothing to do with Toyota. In 1991 there was finally a recall issued for all pre-1986 units to upgrade to a full floating 1 ton axle. By then most of the original, pre-1986, builders were history, only three were still in business. Toyota, to their credit, and without any obligation to do so, offered a complete 1 ton rear axle kit to any motorhome owner needing one for the price of shipping, less than $100. It was a 4 hour upgrade and most, but not all were eventually upgraded.

Toyota stopped importing the 1 ton Cab and Chassis in 1993, thus ending production with a few 1994 models being built on left over 1993 chassis.

As recently as last week a 1991 Toyota Sunrader sold for over $13,000 on eBay, not a collectable, but certainly a "desireable"
While prices are down overall this year, Toyota motorhomes always sell for much higher prices than comparable U.S. units.

Yes, we are a little slower on the road, sort of like the good old daze in a VW bus (no, it's not that bad) but you get to enjoy the drive and get to pass a lot more gas stations with average mpg's in the 14-17 range with some running as high as 22.

There is another Toyota Motorhome site on Yahoo groups called toyota-campers that is very active with about 4000 members. Next month there will be two events in CA for owners, one in SoCal the other in NorCal, ask if you are interested.

I was in France and England last year, and almost every motorhome I saw was in the same size range as the Toyota's of 1980-1994, the future was already here and it will return. I saw exactly one Class "A" motorhome. They were parked by a bank, I think that they were arranging a loan so they could buy enough gas (at about $9.00 a gallon) to get home

Aussie friends of mine have one similar to that one shown earlier and they also own a 1992 Toyota that is in my driveway waiting for their return next month for their annual 6 month visit to the U.S.

Me???? There are 5 Toyota Motorhomes in my drive way right now. My own two Sunraders, a 1978 17' and a rare (only one built) 1989 19' Sunrader Adventure with a pop-up roof, a friends 18' Sunrader and a 21' Sunrader this is going to be sold. Plus the 22' Winnie that belongs to my friensds in Perth. BTW: Sunraders are the molded fiberglass units, the only material that can outlive the Toyota chassis....

Bob in Riverside, CA
aka Sunrader Bob

Posted By: Kozynferg on 04/10/09 09:16am

I had one of the Toyota based a few years ago on a 1985 chassis. They are on a one ton chassis. The brakes are heavy duty. I redid mine, did not even have to turn the rotors. Even with an automatic tranny I do down shift on grades, both up and down.

Posted By: burlmart on 04/10/09 09:32am

This is a GOOD thread! I feel pretty sure that it is discussing RV things to come in the US.

History is stubbornly repetitive.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Posted By: ron.dittmer on 04/10/09 10:29am

If I had a desire for a Toyota RV again, I'd be sure to get the 89-93 V6 engine with heavy duty chassis and enjoy!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with any Toyota RV as long as they have the proper dual rear wheel design.

The brakes work great too, as long as the rear drums are adjusted properly.

* This post was edited 04/10/09 01:14pm by ron.dittmer *

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/10/09 10:59am

The V6 was actually used in 89-93 production year chassis and was carried over to the few 94's that were built. In the same vein, many 89's were built on 4 cylinder, 1988 chassis. My "One Off" 1989 Sunrader Adventure was actually built in August of 1988 on a 1987 chassis.

That said, the V6 wasn't one of Toyota's better products and high maintenance is sometimes an issue with this engine. There was also a general recall on all 1990-1993 V6's for a head gasket issue, a recall that is still open if the work was never done.

For the best of all worlds, Downey Off Road in Santa Fe Springs, CA, makes several kits to install a Chevy 90 degree V6 or a Buick V6 into these Toyota chassis. You get more power, better economy and a fresh engine for less than the cost of rebuilding the Toyota engine. Even Toyota Mechanics call the=is V6 "Problematic".

Posted By: Bubby's RV on 04/10/09 11:18am

Xpltivdletd wrote:

That's a LOT of interior for such a compact RV. I'm impressed.

It's amazing what a mirror will do!

John, Winnebago Minnie 24V

Posted By: Bubby's RV on 04/10/09 11:20am

advocate1 wrote:

That said, the V6 wasn't one of Toyota's better products and high maintenance is sometimes an issue with this engine. There was also a general recall on all 1990-1993 V6's for a head gasket issue, a recall that is still open if the work was never done.

For the best of all worlds, Downey Off Road in Santa Fe Springs, CA, makes several kits to install a Chevy 90 degree V6 or a Buick V6 into these Toyota chassis. You get more power, better economy and a fresh engine for less than the cost of rebuilding the Toyota engine. Even Toyota Mechanics call the=is V6 "Problematic".

I had one in a '93 4Runner and it would only last about 50,000 mi between rebuilds.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 04/10/09 01:16pm

advocate1 wrote:

The "Rear Axle" problem was caused by the coach builders overloading the chassis, and had nothing to do with Toyota.

that's sort of like saying that there was nothing wrong with the weak front end on the Chevy P-30/32 chassis. it was the motorhome builder's fault for putting a passenger seat in it and overloading it.
bumpy

Posted By: coloradodave on 04/10/09 01:43pm

Interesting that the Huntsman comes in 4x2 or 4x4. 4x2 either has a 2.7L 4 cyl. or a 4.0L v6. 4x4 comes with a 3L turbo diesel. Too bad Winnebago doesn't make something like that here.

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/10/09 02:04pm

Bumpy

I used to have a Coachmen on a P-30 chassis and I am well aware of the horrid ride provided. When you make a motorhome out of a bread truck something isn't going to work out right, when you build a 6000 lb motorhome coach on a 1/2 ton pick-up someone will, and did, get hurt.

The Toyota situation was more akin to a builder buying an S-10 pick-up and attaching a 24' coach to it. It was just, plain and simple, wrong. Could/should Toyota dealers refused to sell them to the builders? That's another question that is lost to history

From the mid-70's until 1985, without exception, the early builders bought pick-up cab & chassis from local Toyota dealers (Not Toyota Corporate) and built whatever they wanted on them. At first they stayed within the weight limit but, by about 1979, they started going crazy with size. A common solution to overloading was to add "After Market" duals, basically two rims welded into one unit and use the standard pick-up axle. With that much weight and leverage, some axle ends actually snapped off resulting in a number of serious accidents including some fatalities. By 1986 Toyota started building a Cab and chassis with a 1 ton full floating rear axle and that became standard with the coachbuilders.

In 1991 the feds finally got around to issuing a mandatory safety recall, not to Toyota, but to the coach builders, to pull all units off the road. By then most of the early builders were out of business and the owners were stuck with a dangerous vehicle. One remaining builder, Gardner-Pacific, signed an agreement to repair all units and, 2 months later, went out of business. Only National RV and Coachmen, to my knowledge, actually repaired any of the units. Toyota also made the rear axle upgrade kit, about $1500 worth of parts, available to all owners for the price of shipping.

Unfortunately everyone didn't get the word and there are still some out there with the old style, axle waiting to break.

I make mention of this because often it is mentioned that the axle problem was Toyota related. This is no more true than someone being run over by a drunk driver in a Chevy being GM's fault.(Although I am sure that has been used as a defense in court already)

Bob in Riverside
aka: Sunrader Bob

Posted By: catman2130093 on 04/10/09 07:09pm

You might be able to find a picture of my 77 Dolphin Toyota in the yahoo group, as in Catman's Dolphin..it had widened steel wheels, one per side on the back. The early dual wheeled versions were actually bad,Toyota's fault. Toyota shouldn't have sold dual wheeled chassis as they were at first. I've also had 2 VW Westfalias-a 67 that died in a house fire, and an 82 air-cooled Vanagon. The Vanagon handled like a dream, and had tons of room in it. Shame the **** thing wouldn't run very often. Drive it a month, apply $1k, drive another month and repeat. The old Toyota had the 22r 4 cylinder in it with a 5 speed stick. The chassis was a reflection of Toyota's well deserved good reputation. I sold it when terminal rust on the cab, and collapsing structure of the Dolphin body rendered the whole thing sad..I miss it still.

Posted By: Dutch_12078 on 04/10/09 07:29pm

catman2130093 wrote:

You might be able to find a picture of my 77 Dolphin Toyota in the yahoo group, as in Catman's Dolphin..it had widened steel wheels, one per side on the back. The early dual wheeled versions were actually bad,Toyota's fault. Toyota shouldn't have sold dual wheeled chassis as they were at first. I've also had 2 VW Westfalias-a 67 that died in a house fire, and an 82 air-cooled Vanagon. The Vanagon handled like a dream, and had tons of room in it. Shame the **** thing wouldn't run very often. Drive it a month, apply $1k, drive another month and repeat. The old Toyota had the 22r 4 cylinder in it with a 5 speed stick. The chassis was a reflection of Toyota's well deserved good reputation. I sold it when terminal rust on the cab, and collapsing structure of the Dolphin body rendered the whole thing sad..I miss it still.

I don't know how you can blame Toyota for the early dual wheel issues, when they didn't start supplying a dual wheel configuration until 1986. And that was on a proper full-floating axle, the same one that was later retrofitted under the recall. The early "faux" duals, consisting of two rims fastened together and stuck on the end of a conventional semi-floating axle, were the creation of the coach manufacturers, not Toyota. The early lighter weight shorter Dolphins did indeed come equipped with 10" wide L-60 rear tires on 7" rims. As the units got heavier in later years, those tires could not handle the weight unfortunately, and were replaced with the bad duals.

Your '77 Toy might have had a transplant somewhere along the line, but it left the factory with a 20R engine under the hood, not the 22R that wasn't used until '81.

Dutch
1986 Dolphin 21 ft. Model 900
22RE 4-cyl EFI, A43D Automatic
Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
SKP #103135

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/10/09 07:42pm

Yep, as Dutch mentioned, the pre 1986 chassis left the Toyota dealers with single rear wheels. Toyota did not supply duals until the 1 ton full floating axle was available in 1986. Things went well in the 70's, it wasn't until about 1979-1980 that this little Micro-Motorhomes started growing and quickly exceeded the weight limit of the chassis. One of my Sunraders is a 1978 and there is no record of one ever breaking off an axle. 1978 models weren't even included in the recall.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/10/09 08:19pm

Just something that is a little different in Australia:
Winnebago started out as Freeway in late 1960's in Australia before they changed their name to Winnebago.
One of their very early TC's on a 2006 Ford Falcon Ute..something you will not see in the US. Bit Like an El Ranchero TC.

Posted By: Xpltivdletd on 04/11/09 03:06am

Well, that explains one ancient Toy MH that passed through. It would have been called a "chassis-camper" back in the day, with the completely rectangular floorplan behind the cab & the traditional fixed aerodynamic-brake required on all TCs and full-sized Class Cs. The skin was corrugated metal and it had NO compound curves. It was no longer than any newer, prettier Toy MH I've ever seen.

But it had either a tag or a tandem rear axle. I think now I know why.

FWIW I knew a Chinook owner slightly in the late 70s while I was stationed in FL. He claimed 21 MPG. Later in the 80s I helped someone work on a Toyota pickup--a new 1984 or '85 4-holer. I remain impressed by how EASY they made that thing for owner-maintenance. Inside & underneath, we never found anything either of us would call a mechanical 1-finger-salute from the manufacturer to the D.I.Y. owner--and we were both expecting those after our adventures with the Big-3. Toyota didn't even stick it to you, way up under the dash.

Posted By: catman2130093 on 04/11/09 11:31am

Dutch_12078 wrote:

catman2130093 wrote:

I don't know how you can blame Toyota for the early dual wheel issues, when they didn't start supplying a dual wheel configuration until 1986. And that was on a proper full-floating axle, the same one that was later retrofitted under the recall. The early "faux" duals, consisting of two rims fastened together and stuck on the end of a conventional semi-floating axle, were the creation of the coach manufacturers, not Toyota. The early lighter weight shorter Dolphins did indeed come equipped with 10" wide L-60 rear tires on 7" rims. As the units got heavier in later years, those tires could not handle the weight unfortunately, and were replaced with the bad duals.

Your '77 Toy might have had a transplant somewhere along the line, but it left the factory with a 20R engine under the hood, not the 22R that wasn't used until '81.

Dutch
1986 Dolphin 21 ft. Model 900
22RE 4-cyl EFI, A43D Automatic
Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
SKP #103135
It was indeed the 20r-it's been gone a long while now..1999 I think..

Posted By: ReneeG on 04/11/09 11:53am

For all the comments on how many problems they had I have to say we had none of those. It was a 1992. Maybe because it was our first RV that I noticed no problems with the suspension. Heck, we would take it off road boondocking and as long as we took it slow and careful, we never bottomed out and it was great manuevering around big trees. It slept 4 sober and 5 drunk as the previous owner often said! Also power was not a problem as we drove it cross country including grades. No problem.

Posted By: Dakzuki on 04/11/09 02:33pm

Here's a link for manufacturers over the ages.

I know somebody that owned a Toyota Chinook (pop up version). It was a nice compact little thing.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Posted By: goreds2 on 04/11/09 06:05pm

Here is one on CraigsList. I don't like the color black for summer camping.

Interesting

See Picture In My Profile
1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/13/09 01:06am

Also Lazy axle Toyota Motorhomes were built here in Australia : a 21ft Matilda Motorhome

Here they are the same price as a Toyota Coaster conversion.More like a small Class A and usually a homebuilt conversion

These are the most common Toyota RV's in Australia. Below is a description of the one above
Quote:

WHAT A BEAUTY SET UP FOR FREE CAMP OR CARAVAN PARK EXTERIOR FEATURES: Bullbar, Stoneguard, Tow bar, Driving & fog lights, Tinted windows, Security screens, 5mt Fiamma awning, 4mt Separate annexe with fly screens, Town water connection, 2 x Fresh water tanks, Black water tank, 2 x Gas bottles in concealed cradle, INTERIOR ELECTRICAL FEATURES: Flat Screen TV, 6 Stacker CD & Radio, UHF CB Radio, Reverse cycle air con. 4K Inverter, Dual Batteries, C-Tek Smart charger(240 volt), Voltage anayliser, Fully wired for 12/240 volt lighting etc, INTERIOR FITOUT: Double bed, Dinette, Hot water system, Wardrobe, Full Kitchen 3 way fridge/freezer, Microwave, Gas oven/cooktop/grill, Heaps cupboard space, Fitt out for 2 persons, WHAT IT AIN'T GOT - U DON"T NEED ALSO included is a Diahatsu Feroza EL111 Registered till April 2010, in excellent mechanical condition & a duel wheel trailer with compartments for the annexe, poles etc

* This post was edited 04/13/09 01:18am by RobertRyan *

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 04/13/09 04:59am

RobertRyan wrote:

Also Lazy axle Toyota Motorhomes were built here in Australia : a 21ft Matilda Motorhome

Here they are the same price as a Toyota Coaster conversion.More like a small Class A and usually a homebuilt conversion

These are the most common Toyota RV's in Australia. Below is a description of the one above
Quote:

WHAT A BEAUTY SET UP FOR FREE CAMP OR CARAVAN PARK EXTERIOR FEATURES: Bullbar, Stoneguard, Tow bar, Driving & fog lights, Tinted windows, Security screens, 5mt Fiamma awning, 4mt Separate annexe with fly screens, Town water connection, 2 x Fresh water tanks, Black water tank, 2 x Gas bottles in concealed cradle, INTERIOR ELECTRICAL FEATURES: Flat Screen TV, 6 Stacker CD & Radio, UHF CB Radio, Reverse cycle air con. 4K Inverter, Dual Batteries, C-Tek Smart charger(240 volt), Voltage anayliser, Fully wired for 12/240 volt lighting etc, INTERIOR FITOUT: Double bed, Dinette, Hot water system, Wardrobe, Full Kitchen 3 way fridge/freezer, Microwave, Gas oven/cooktop/grill, Heaps cupboard space, Fitt out for 2 persons, WHAT IT AIN'T GOT - U DON"T NEED ALSO included is a Diahatsu Feroza EL111 Registered till April 2010, in excellent mechanical condition & a duel wheel trailer with compartments for the annexe, poles etc

are your flies so big those window "screens" will keep them out?
bumpy

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/13/09 05:38am

Quote:

are your flies so big those window "screens" will keep them out?
bumpy

Probably more likely stone guards/ security screen . As well they would have a finer mesh in between to stop flies getting in.

Posted By: MrWizard on 04/13/09 11:19am

I know a lady who fulltimes, in a winnie mini-C on a toyota chassis, she loves hers, says she is always getting offers on it.

I installed an Evap cooler on it 3yrs ago, she very happy with her toyota winnie

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted By: goreds2 on 04/13/09 10:06pm

Another thread Here:

SunRader

Posted By: Xpltivdletd on 04/14/09 06:37pm

Robert Ryan of Australia, you showed us a Toyota "Matilda" MH with what you called a "lazy axle." Would that be a non-driven rear axle just behind the drive axle, to take some of the load off it? Thanks.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 04/14/09 07:35pm

Quote:

Robert Ryan of Australia, you showed us a Toyota "Matilda" MH with what you called a "lazy axle." Would that be a non-driven rear axle just behind the drive axle, to take some of the load off it? Thanks.

Basically Yes. A non-driving axle.

Posted By: MiniCruisin Eric on 04/15/09 07:40am

I love my 1987 Mini-cruiser. Ive been fulltiming in it for 3 months and have about 14 more months to go. Its a great little rig with absolutely everything you could possible need in it. Ive only been getting 13-14 mpg though, and the biggest drawback to FTing in an RV this size is the very limited fresh water tank that came with it. But I love it and its running strong.

Posted By: sunlight on 04/29/09 03:52pm

94 was the last year. I heard Toyota just did not want to mess with it anymore. There are alot out there and some get recirculated. Check ToyotaMotorhomes.com for their bulletin board. I put an ad in craigslist and got one in two days. Good luck.Doug in Durham

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/29/09 04:04pm

I don't really think that the motorhome market had that much to do with Toyota's decision to get out of the 1 ton truck chassis market in America. There were many, many more chassis sold to U-Haul and to Flatbed truck builders than were ever sold for use as motorhomes. U-Haul is still actively renting out some of those 90-92 Toyota 10' box trucks. many with 250,000 miles+ on them. Can't do that with a Chevy pick-up.

Posted By: burlmart on 04/29/09 05:34pm

advocate1 wrote:

I don't really think that the motorhome market had that much to do with Toyota's decision to get out of the 1 ton truck chassis market in America. There were many, many more chassis sold to U-Haul and to Flatbed truck builders than were ever sold for use as motorhomes. U-Haul is still actively renting out some of those 90-92 Toyota 10' box trucks. many with 250,000 miles+ on them. Can't do that with a Chevy pick-up.

That says to me that the C style RV industry is in serious error.

Posted By: advocate1 on 04/29/09 05:57pm

Error??? I don't know exactly what you mean by error, but almost all of the "A" and "C" size builders are in serious $$$ trouble. On top of that two of the three chassis suppliers are in trouble and our whole economy is going the way of the dinosaur. There are some that are attempting to save business with the Sprinter chassis, but with Chrysler hooking up with Fiat tomorrow that may soon be gone. However, Fiat does make some nice small sized diesel chassis that are used for motorhomes in Italy so there may be some hope in the future, but the day of the monster 8 mpg motorhome in every driveway is long gone. The huge $120,000+ retirementmobiles will still be around, but I predict a return to much smaller rigs in the very near future. Someday U.S. RV parks will look like Cuba, everyone hanging onto 50 year old vehicles because they won't be making them anymore.

Print  |  Close