Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Curious question - Is a truck bed worth 8 - 10K

Posted By: R&DScott on 05/01/09 10:19am

Was looking at trucks on local dealers web site. Dodge offers chassis cabs. They are running 8 - 10K lower than similar equipped full pickups.

Do beds really cost 8 - 10K ???

R & D Scott
2008 Everest 322R 5th wheel
2011 F350 XLT SRW CC LB 4WD 6.7 Turbodiesel

Posted By: danoren on 05/01/09 10:21am

If you find someone to do the bed for less -you have a deal...

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Good Sam,TomTom GO720
Website

Posted By: WTTCS on 05/01/09 10:53am

The "cab chassis" is exactly the same as a pick up. You can get a bed put on for 2 grand EASY. Why do you think trucks are the most profitable thing they make?

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Posted By: Capt Skup on 05/01/09 10:31am

Here is the rub. If they are indeed a cab chassis, the frames rails of these trucks are different than a pickup's. Different spacing(distance between frame rails) and I think length. Use to be before Ford introduced the F-450 pickup, if you wanted a stronger pickup than what you could get with a F-350 you could buy a 450/550 cab chassis and have an "upfitter" fit a standard pickup bed to your truck. Most of the time a 4" spacer was placed between the front of the bed and the truck's cab to make it look stock. Not sure of the cost but I have seen brand new truck beds for sale(from take-offs)offered at a nearby yard, Brandywine in Waldorf, MD. $10-$20K difference? I sure would look into it.

Capt Skup
AD-1(AW)USNRet.
Wonderful Wife,3 Daughters,2Goldens Gus&Riley

"Never get in a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

F-450 Lariat 4x4
Honda Odyssey EX-L
SunlineF281SR
SeaRay 240 Sundeck
http://community.webshots.com/user/CaptSkup?vhost=community

Posted By: Itchey Feet on 05/01/09 11:06am

I purchased a ready made flatbed for $3,600, pulled off the regular box. You can buy brand new removed boxes, any of the big 3 around here for under $1,000. I went with the flatbed to utalize the space under the overhang of the TC on the flatbed. The cost sounds high to me but did not price the truck we bought in the with / without option. Plan on removing flatbed and putting it on next truck and put orignal bed back on. (SEE PROFILE)

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Posted By: Kennedycamper on 05/01/09 10:46am

It would depend on if you need the bed or not. You can get a "hauler" type bed put on the cab chassis truck. Don't know how much it costs though. It wouldn't be good at hualing things home from the lumber yard though.

Posted By: Butch50 on 05/01/09 04:22pm

Capt Skup wrote:

"The "cab chassis" is exactly the same as a pick up. You can get a bed put on for 2 grand EASY. Why do you think trucks are the most profitable thing they make?"

Nope, cab/chassis frames are indeed different. I did quite a bit of research on this subject when I was looking for a strong tow vehicle to haul a heavy fiver. Almost went with a upfitted F-550 with a Charriot hauler conversion, before finding out Ford was bringing a F-450 pickup to market. When you see a cab chassis bare, with a bed, it becomes quite obvious a pickup and a cab chassis frames are quite different. Cab/chassis frames are also flat unlike a pickups, all three, Ford, GM, and Dodge are standard to allow for one size fits all upfitter equipment.

Capt is 100% correct. I just happen to have one of those F550 with a F350 bed on it and I have a 4" spacer that matches the body lines between the cab and the bed. This was installed by Manning EQ in Kentucky right across from the Ford factory. The cab chassis on the F450/550 iss 4" longer than the F350.

Butch
2013 Ram 3500 4X4 CC Laramie DRW
Light Metallic Gray with black interior
2012 Northern Lite 10 2 CDSE
2010 Can-Am 650XT Outlander Max
2012 Harley Tri Glide

Posted By: bobsallyh on 05/01/09 12:34pm

Something you may want to check on before doing the "other bed" thing is, check with your insurance man. Some states have higher rates on "pickups" that have different beds on them rather than the standard pickup bed.

Posted By: Capt Skup on 05/01/09 11:18am

"The "cab chassis" is exactly the same as a pick up. You can get a bed put on for 2 grand EASY. Why do you think trucks are the most profitable thing they make?"

Nope, cab/chassis frames are indeed different. I did quite a bit of research on this subject when I was looking for a strong tow vehicle to haul a heavy fiver. Almost went with a upfitted F-550 with a Charriot hauler conversion, before finding out Ford was bringing a F-450 pickup to market. When you see a cab chassis bare, with a bed, it becomes quite obvious a pickup and a cab chassis frames are quite different. Cab/chassis frames are also flat unlike a pickups, all three, Ford, GM, and Dodge are standard to allow for one size fits all upfitter equipment.

* This post was edited 05/01/09 12:09pm by Capt Skup *

Posted By: hone eagle on 05/01/09 11:35am

did you guys just agree and then agree again with each other?

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 05/01/09 03:11pm

We owned a Chevy Kodiak 4500 which had the Chariot hauler bed. No Truck we have ever owned rode as good as the Chevy Kodiak. The upgrade has so many options I want list them all. The Link air ride suspension and air ride seats is what made the ride so great. No Pick-up bed Truck on the market has as good a ride. As for Home Depol, Lowes etc. thats why they make Gooseneck trailers, utility trailers etc. My Truck bed only hauls a B&W turnover ball with the companion 5th hitch, when not RVing the Truck bed is empty. The reglar pick-up doesn't hold a light to the hauler bed. You can get several different options just for the hauler bed. And you don't have to buy a Cab and Chassis to have a hauler bed, they build them for regular pick-ups. My hauler bed was Aluminum and was very light. There are many up-fiter's building hauler beds. If you do get a hauler bed you will understand the difference vs a standard pick-up bed. Been there and done that. If I were to keep my Chevy 3500 I would get a hauler bed, but if I get another Truck it will be a Navistar with a hauler bed. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Posted By: Fast Mopar on 05/01/09 11:44am

As far as I can tell, we agree.

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

Posted By: Fast Mopar on 05/01/09 11:06am

Capt Skup wrote:

If they are indeed a cab chassis, the frames rails of these trucks are different than a pickup's. Different spacing(distance between frame rails) and I think length.

This is correct. The 3500 cab/chassis is not the same as the 3500 pickup with the bed removed.

cab chassis

Posted By: R&DScott on 05/01/09 12:35pm

Thanks for the lessons on differences. I was thinking (and should have said so first) of if I went for a chassis to add one of those snifty 5th wheel beds. I don't do much Home Depot hauling per se .

Posted By: C Schomer on 05/02/09 01:11pm

I imagine a fancy hauler bed with tool boxes would be worth 8-10k. I've built 3 simple beds and my current one has 2k in material and hundreds of hours labor - done at my liesurely pace. I'd gladly buy a bed but I want them really custom to the truck which includes cutting off any needless truck frame at the back end and building the bed shorter. The bed/bumper I built on this 03 is 10" shorter than the stock P/U bed/bumper and that sure is nice for getting into the front doors of the 5er. I can also use the short pin boxes. I also built the my hauler beds with fixed sides that taper down at the back end and give them lots of clearence - this one has 14" and I need most of it at some rough CGs. Craig

03Dodge QC HO 5.9 Dually NV5600, 4.1 Rear WD, PS 62/65/14 turbo, TST/PMCR, 4" exh, PRXB Pacbrake, Rancho 9000s, FS Airbags, Onboard air/in-cab controls, Custom hauler bed. 2008 Sunnybrook 30RKFS-LTD Our 3rd SB 5er. WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Posted By: blt2ski on 05/02/09 10:55am

WHile also as mentioned, the frames may be different, Are the interiors of the trucks the same? Ie leather vs leather? or is the pickup leather, the C&C basic contractor style plain jane with vinyl floors, cloth bench seat, maybe AC and a AM/FM radio? Then there will be $6-10K difference. Otherwise, I have found there to be about $1G less for a chassis cab when speced the same. If you are going to do a custom bed, it is better to buy the chassis cab up front.

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Posted By: blt2ski on 05/03/09 11:24am

Butch,

My thought on the difference was the C&C models were lower cost interior vs a leather in the pickup form, or some such equal. Yes one can get a C&C in leather, BUT, more than likely a dealer will only order one in presold, vs stocking one. As most contractors like myself, only buy the lower end interior models. Hence my why the cost difference.

As also stated, all that have compared a box vs a C&C are saying the C&C are about $500-1000 less in initial cost. Along with, "IF" on is going to go with a flat bed or equal, it is better to get a C&C up front, as then you have the straight rails, wiring that will be setup to split lights in the middle etc right from the get go. Just a better way to go overall.

Marty

Posted By: Dayle1 on 05/03/09 03:42pm

R&DScott wrote:

Was looking at trucks on local dealers web site. Dodge offers chassis cabs. They are running 8 - 10K lower than similar equipped full pickups.

OEM bed factory new to repair a wrecked PU costs several thousand $$. This is what a body shop would spend IF they are required to only use factory fresh components.

Used 'take-offs' from upfitters, salvage yards, or private individuals typically costs about $400 for 8' beds, more for 6-1/2' beds (since the supply is limited). I sold my 6-1/2' bed for $1000 to a body shop.

Price and weight for flatbeds and hauler beds varies significantly and lots of info has already been posted.

With a 2500HD, I chose a utility bed instead. Less weight and lower cost than a hauler bed. In addition, on a stock PU bed, the floor is about 2.5" above the top of the frame rails, with a utility bed it is 4" and with a flat bed about 7". When you add this to the extra height of the straight frame rails of the C&C, lifting heavy items that high is an issue to consider. To clear the fiver's gooseneck, my custom RKI bed is 12" lower than their stock bed with an engineering charge of just $200.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'11 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32MK loaded
Rig Photos

Posted By: Butch50 on 05/03/09 08:54am

Keith99RS wrote:

Your F550 is not a Dodge 3500 Chassis cab. The OP is not referring to 4500 range models and up. He is asking about 3500's. Like what one would buy to have a utility bed installed on.

In the OP posts I did not see anywhere that he stated he was looking at 3500. There was no mention of what size just a Chassis Cab and that is what I was responding to was a CC setup and like stated before the 3500 CC is going to be set up the same way as the Dodge 4500/5500 and Ford 450/550 CC so that common beds will fit all of them easily without many changes to them. They will be a flat rail type frame unlike the pickup frame. So yes it would be similar to my F550 just a Dodge. Please point me where he stated 3500 in this thread? There were many post prior to my that are all talking about the 4500/450 and 5500/550 size.

To the OP as stated previous the reason that they are probably lower is the model and options. Ford use to (don't know if they still do) when you built the truck you could do a box delete and it saved you $800 on the cost of the truck. I could not believe that they only knocked off $800 for the box delete.

Posted By: Butch50 on 05/02/09 07:45pm

blt2ski wrote:

WHile also as mentioned, the frames may be different, Are the interiors of the trucks the same? Ie leather vs leather? or is the pickup leather, the C&C basic contractor style plain jane with vinyl floors, cloth bench seat, maybe AC and a AM/FM radio? Then there will be $6-10K difference. Otherwise, I have found there to be about $1G less for a chassis cab when speced the same. If you are going to do a custom bed, it is better to buy the chassis cab up front.

Marty

The truck interiors are the same. My F550 is a Lariat interior and it is the same as my F350 Lariat interior. The truck cabs are identical in size and makeup. If you are sitting in the cab you would not be able to tell the difference between the F350 models and the F450/550s CC. When I ordered my 2006 there was no King Ranch available for the F550. When I had Manning install the pickup bed on my F550 it was a $6500 option on the CC F550. They can't just slap a F350 dually bed on it. My F550 has the aux fuel tank so they have to put in another filler pipe and cover. There are a lot of little things that have to be done to make the bed fit.

Posted By: SoCalDesertRider on 05/02/09 03:49am

Knapheide, Royal, Reading (or is it Redding?) and a bunch of others make all sorts of different styles of beds for cab/chassis trucks. While the 'hauler' beds don't offer much in the way of cargo carrying in the bed area, there are other styles of beds that do offer plenty of cargo carrying while still accomodating a fifth wheel hitch and side storage compartments. A flatbed with under-side boxes and removeable stake sides can haul just about anything and still mount a fith wheel hitch, or a gooseneck hitch with a fifth wheel attatchment, like what B&W offers.

Standard frame dimensions for cab/chassis trucks are 34" frame rail spacing, 60" or 84" cab to axle length and 48" axle to end of frame rail length. So a 60" cab/axle chassis truck will normally fit a 60" + 48" = 108" (9 feet) bed, not including the bumper. Often times, upfitters fit longer than 9 foot beds on 60" chassis trucks by extending the rear frame rails or simply extending the bed beyond the standard length frame rails. It is not advisable to extend the lenth behind the axle if you're pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck though.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Posted By: ~DJ~ on 05/03/09 08:31am

I've been looking at flatbeds for my 05. The highest offer I have for my pristine dually bed is $400.

If you can save with a chassis cab and want a pickup box check with flatbed installers for used ones!!!

2011 F250 Super Cab Lariat 6.2 373 FX4 Short Box 4" BDS, 35" Toyos, TorkLift, 16.5K Warn, Locked & Loaded
2007 SunLite Pop Up, Dometic 12 volt fridge, 100 watt solar, Trojan AGM, Honda 2000
2014 Nash 23D, Trojan twin sixes, Honda 3000

Posted By: surveyorjp on 05/02/09 09:58pm

Keith99RS wrote:

Your F550 is not a Dodge 3500 Chassis cab. The OP is not referring to 4500 range models and up. He is asking about 3500's. Like what one would buy to have a utility bed installed on.

Keith, the Dodge 3500 Chassis cab shares many common aspects with the Dodge 4500 and 5500 Chassis cab. And all three can have a utility bed installed on them. All three also have the Dodge Ram pickup cab on them, and all are capable of having a multitude of different beds installed. Also, in the OP's post, he does not specifically say 3500 or 4500 or 5500. He just says "chassis cab" which could be any of the three.

Perhaps you are thinking of GM which has a different truck altogether in the 4500 and 5500 series?

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Posted By: surveyorjp on 05/02/09 12:23pm

R&DScott wrote:

Here are some links with tons of info about the Dodge Chassis cab trucks.

2010 HD Rams due out fall of 2009

Current generation Ram 4500/5500

Some interesting tidbits include the Aisin six speed automatic with the 180,000 mile warranty, largest brakes available, exhaust brake, and of course the 6.7L Cummins.

As far as bed prices go, that strictly depends on what type of bed you have installed. Back in 2001, my father had a dumping flat bed installed on his 01 Dodge 3500 cab chassis for around $4000. Some beds can be had less than that, and some for alot more. A fellow here on rv.net, membername Dustytuu, has a Dodge 5500 with a pickup bed installed. Do a search and look him up, I believe he has pics and could tell you what something like that would cost.

Hope this helps!

Posted By: Keith99RS on 05/02/09 01:40pm

See blt2ski's post. I can't imagine a chassis cab coming with all the trimmings off the lot. That very well may be your cost difference.

Smoke 05 Titan SE CC 4X4
K&N panel filter
PRG 2.5" Leveling kit
Bilstein front,Icon rear shocks
Powerstop slotted rotors
18" Wrangler AT/S LT's

2009 Fleetwood Prowler 2702BS
Primus Brake Controller
Reese DC w/ 1,000lb/10,000lb WD

Posted By: Keith99RS on 05/03/09 08:51pm

Quote:

My thought on the difference was the C&C models were lower cost interior vs a leather in the pickup form, or some such equal. Yes one can get a C&C in leather, BUT, more than likely a dealer will only order one in presold, vs stocking one. As most contractors like myself, only buy the lower end interior models. Hence my why the cost difference.

Walking through the lot of a local dealership that does a lot of commercial and fleet sales I noticed the following. All in stock Cab and Chassis trucks were low end as far as trim level. Vinyl, bench seats and so on. I am sure better appointed ones are available but as blt2ski said, they are likely custom order.

FWIW Ford noticed that many buyers were getting loaded F450's and getting beds put on them aftermarket. For 2008, Ford decided to cash in on that market and make the F450 with a bed from the factory.

Posted By: Keith99RS on 05/02/09 09:50pm

Posted By: Prowler Doug on 05/03/09 03:51pm

We buy brand new take offs from a company in Nevada for $1800 to $2000. Most are white in color.

2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS

Posted By: Jarlaxle on 05/02/09 08:03am

It's "Reading", like the city in Pennsylvania. (My F-350 had one.) I went the other way: I replaced a regular box with the utility body.

For a 5er hauler, I'd go with a basic flatbed (on a Dodge 3500 4x4 chassis with the Hemi, 6-speed manual, and 4.11 gears) and add storage boxes to it on the sides & against the cab.

One caveat: I think the warrnties on chassis-cabs differ from those on pickups.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Print  |  Close