Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: propane tank valve

Posted By: MarionE on 06/18/09 10:44am

In response to my question of yesterday about safe refueling, most recommended that I turn off the propane tank valve. I have a 2003 Dodge Roadtrek. I have looked everywhere and don't see where such a valve is. Where would I find it?

Posted By: heavyputer on 06/18/09 10:51am

You obviously have a supply of propane. This is usually contained in a small tank shaped vessel. That vessel is known as a propane tank and the valve in question is on the top of the tank where the hose outlet is attached. This is important to know so that you can have it refilled with propane when you run out. the tanks are usually located in an outside compartment somewhere on the vehicle.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!!!

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 06/18/09 01:54pm

The tank is located under the rear of the Rt, there should be an access door above the rear bumper, remove that door, and you should see a gray colored valve on the tank, turn it to the right to close, when you reopen it turn it slowly all the way to the left.

* This post was edited 06/18/09 02:13pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Handbasket on 06/18/09 11:56am

heavyputer wrote:

You obviously have a supply of propane. This is usually contained in a small tank shaped vessel. That vessel is known as a propane tank and the valve in question is on the top of the tank where the hose outlet is attached. This is important to know so that you can have it refilled with propane when you run out. the tanks are usually located in an outside compartment somewhere on the vehicle.

I do wonder why people who obviously know _nothing_ about B vans feel obligated to give smart-arsed (and wrong in this case) answers in this particular forum.... Aside from exposing their own ignorance, it can potentially confuse or discourage a newbie seeking help.

There is no outside propane compartment on a Dodge RT. There isn't on most B's. The horizontal tank is hung from the frame. And IIRC, the only main shut-off that accessible on this particular RV is located inside the fuel filler door, but that may be different, since the one I owned was three years older.

Jim, "I know it's true, because I read it on the internet."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: ACBL on 06/18/09 11:26am

Have It filled,they will show were It Is !!

Posted By: MarionE on 06/18/09 01:19pm

The fuel filler door is where I first looked, but there is nothing there except for the gasoline and propane tank caps.

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 06/19/09 12:03pm

ernestfortier wrote:

You don't have to turn off the propane when filling with fuel. You just have to turn off all the appliances that use the propane and have a open flame. If you turn off the propane valve that will still not stop all the electronic devices from trying to ignite the propane appliance thereby making sparks.

Her Class B Roadtrek doesn't have any electronic devices that would try and light, and to give her some piece of mind we recommended that she turn of the propane at the tank when getting gas.

On edit: Does the hot water heater, or furnace still try to light if the propane is turned off, I didn't think so, but now I'm not sure, if so turning off the batteries is a good suggestion.

* This post was edited 06/19/09 03:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: dmomberg on 06/19/09 08:21am

For what it’s worth: From the roadtrek.com website, “Owners” tab, 2003 Dodge Owner’s Manual (pdf):

“Shut off the gas supply at the tank valve (or at the valve located beside the gas fill on Dodges).” "fuel filler door behind driver rear wheel"

“WARNING: The tank valve must be closed and ALL PILOT LIGHTS, APPLIANCES, AND THEIR IGNITERS (see Operating Instructions) SHALL BE TURNED OFF during refueling of motor fuel tank and/or L.P. gas tank.

Only qualified personnel should refuel your L.P. gas tank.

Note: Appliance igniters may be individually turned off OR use the auxiliary battery disconnect switch located on the monitor panel.”

Posted By: Salianron on 06/19/09 01:44pm

The reason for concern about having a refrigerator operating on propane while filling the gasoline tank is that the refrigerator vent could draw gasoline fumes in and ignite them. Turning off the propane tank valve each time you fill up with gasoline is not necessary. There may be some confusion regarding filling the gas (propane) tank vs. filling the gasoline tank.

Salianron --Sally and Ron
2003 Roadtrek 200 Popular

Posted By: ACBL on 06/18/09 02:36pm

Behind the rear wheel on my 2003 RT 170

* This post was edited 06/18/09 02:52pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: ernestfortier on 06/19/09 01:21am

You don't have to turn off the propane when filling with fuel. You just have to turn off all the appliances that use the propane and have a open flame. If you turn off the propane valve that will still not stop all the electronic devices from trying to ignite the propane appliance thereby making sparks.

Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

Posted By: Tor2ga on 06/18/09 02:45pm

I'm talking from my chevy RT190, but if they are similar look at the rear bumper. In the center there is a "step" and a little license plate sized panel. That panel is held in with a couple of clips. Remove the panel and there is your Propane tank. The valve may or may not look like Roger's picture, and it may or may not be real visible. It may be to the left or right of the opening. Just look in and turn off (CW) anything you find.

the little panel may have a propane or LPG sticker on it (or not) and there will be lots of lawyer stickers in English and French showing inside on the tank.

Posted By: booster on 06/19/09 09:48am

The mentioned suggestion of turning off the batteries is probably a very good one. It totally disables all the add on electronics in the van and assures no appliance will try to light, plus if someone tried to use power in the rig, it may cause a spark somewhere.

Turning off one valve and one switch is pretty easy, considering how infrequently you have to do it, so it makes sense to do it just to be double sure you are as safe as you can be.

Posted By: booster on 06/19/09 02:56pm

Rodger wrote:

Her Class B Roadtrek doesn't have any electronic devices that would try and light, and to give her some piece of mind we recommended that she turn of the propane at the tank when getting gas.

I am not familiar with her 2003 version, only our 07. Did the older ones use a standing pilot instead of the igniters on the water heater and furnace?

Posted By: My Roadtrek on 06/19/09 03:26pm

The hot water switch has to be turned to "On" for the water heater to light. I don't know if it continues to send a spark if no (propane)fuel is present.
The reason I recommended turning off the propane at the tank when getting gasoline is, by doing it that way she makes sure nothing is left on in the coach. She doesn't have to worry if she left the hot water on, or the refrigerator, or maybe even the furnace. My answer is aimed for the op, for others they can do it which ever way they feel comfortable with.

Posted By: J.Wook on 06/30/09 11:27am

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

All of the advice about turning off the tank valve makes good sense but this thread brought to mind one important thing that I have usually forgotten:

I have installed a re-igniter on my totally-manual-ignition water heater. It is powered by a nine-volt battery and will provide a spark to re-ignite the pilot flame if it should go out. It is totally independent of the electrical system and would continue to spark even if the 12 volt power to the coach is shut off!

Note to self (and anyone else with one of these re-igniters): BEFORE you refuel, shut off the LPG tank AS WELL AS the sparking re-igniter!

Most newer Class B's have automatic water heaters and reefers which would be shut off if the main coach power switch is turned off. Old orphan dinosaurs like mine don't have such goodies, so my warning might not apply to you. Just a thought...

John

John & Waltraud
1989 Class B InterVec Falcon 190 SLF (Ford E-250, 351 cid) "Wagon Lit"
backup is '81 Jeep Scrambler
starting point: Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Posted By: Aikensbest on 06/29/09 05:51pm

I am shocked that anyone can get a propane tank filled without the main valve shut off. most states....8, that I have filled the tank in...verify the main valve is off and that ALL passengers on the rig, get out until the tank is filled. I think this is very important

Aikensbest
2001 GreatWestClassic

Posted By: robbins1 on 06/30/09 06:56am

I am thankful for this post and the replies. I am in the process of learning about class Bs in general as well as my Xplorer in particular. I have yet to fill my tank because there is only one place locally that does this. I pulled in expecting to get some assistance. Exposed the tank to a teenaged boy whose response was an enthusiastic "Wow! I've never seen one of those before!". Pulled out without propane,obviously. The owner will be there the next time I try this.
He knows everything,according to the teenager. Even with all this thread has
taught me, I'm going to wait until he's there! Seems like the built in tank is an unknown to more than "heavyputer". For everyone else who has weighed in with answers, Thanks!

~~~ruth~~~

Posted By: B Traveler on 06/29/09 05:42pm

The main shut-off valve for my 2007 Great West Van Classic is under the step on the passenger side. To reach it, you have to lie down on the ground. I ain't gonna do it when I fill the gasoline tank.
I do make sure all propane appliances are off when I get the propane tank filled.

No one filling my propane tank has ever turned off the main valve. The only time it gets turned off is when servicing the propane appliances and checking the tank.

2007 Great West Van Classic

Posted By: Ewie on 06/21/09 06:54pm

I have a 1998 Dodge RT and to reach the main shutoff valve for the propane, I lift up the step at the driver's door. This is also where the filler connection is. It is also where the drains for the grey and black water tanks are.

Print  |  Close