Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Bigfoot Jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bigfoot Jacks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
RonAllen

SouthFlorida moving to Pensacola,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/09 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1998 Georgie Boy, Bigfoot Jacks (older version, not automatic)
One of my jacks will not stay extended. It will go down and elevate the right front but will ease back down within a minute. It does operate slower than the others.
I have no manuals. I emailed the manufacturer but no reply yet. Could this be due to low fluid? Or does it indicate a leaking seal?
I do not see fluid coming from the jack.
IF it is low on fluid, where do I check and how is the fluid put in? Where?
Thanks much, Ron

Retired USN SMC
2003 Dolphin LX 36' 8.1

kix

Racy Point, Florida USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a solenoid valve that is leaking internally (probably). There should be one for each jack. The solenoid valve MAY be rebuildable. If low fluid the jack would not extend to start with. Possibly it's debris in the fluid and keeping the valve from sealing. Try cycling the jacks to move the fluid around and perhaps you can clear the debris IF that's what it is.

KIX
'02 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
350hp Cummins ISC
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
5.7 L HEMI

hooligan

Pensacola,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/09 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RonAllen- "Bigfoot"/Quatra Mfg Troubleshooting guide.

Purge the system by extending levelers in pairs to full extend lock. Indicated by motors going to a low hum or shut off. Let stand 10 full minutes to purge air. After 10 minutes momentarily bump "all retract" switch then hold and retract levelers to fully retract.
(Instructions state to always bump all retract switch going from extend to retract to reverse the motors)

Leaking cylinder:
Self sealing cylinders. Follow instructions above, but on retract mode retract cylinders half way and stop for 5 minutes. Then extend all the way out again and let set for 5 more minutes minutes then retract fully, remember to to bump "all retract" switch first then fully retract. If this fails the cylinder should be replaced.

Now-- In the middle of typing this--a thought-- Does leaking cylinder refer to a hydralic fluid leak or a cylinder leaking down internally and not holding pressure? I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Phone Number I have for Quatra Mfg 1-269-483-9634 or 1-800-752-9815 They are usually very good with support.

Hope this helps...

Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2000 GeorgieBoy Landau DP
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

RonAllen

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/09 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know how to purge/bleed the air out of the Bigfoot Jacks? Ron

hhoward

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/09 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron I had the same problem on a 1993 Pursuit with the big Foot jacks. I contacted the factory and they directed me to the Florida facility in Lakeland Fl. The rep ai lakeland told me that 99% of the time when a unit does not hold that it is the internal seals in the piston. I took the piston to Lakeland and exchanged it for a rebuilt one. Later I had a second unit do the same thing and I took it to a hydraulic shop in Fort Pierce Fl. and they rebuilt it for less than $100. The cylinders on my old system were all rebuildable.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/09 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a pump and solenoid set located near each jack. The photo below is the current pump set, so yours may not be identical, although it should be similar. The circled red plug is where the fluid goes into the reservoir. The level should only be checked with the jack all the way up. The hydraulic fluid is Dexron III ATF. The Quadra website has manuals available for download. Just hover on the "Service Manuals" tab and select the ones you want.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

idacoop

idaho falls, idaho, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/09 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a class c gulfstream 1998 and had nothing but problems with the bigfoot jack system. finally sold it and bought a National Sea view class A in 2001 and have never had any jack problems.

Living in Idaho is the best

http://

RonAllen

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/09 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Later I had a second unit do the same thing and I took it to a hydraulic shop in Fort Pierce Fl. and they rebuilt it for less than $100. The cylinders on my old system were all rebuildable.

I am in Fort Myers now. Do you think they will remove the jack from the motor home, fix it and reinstall it? I know it will cost more but I am not as young as I once was. Or does someone know a hydraulic shop in my area that might fix it?
Thanks much for the reply.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bigfoot Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS