Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Propane Yes? No?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Propane Yes? No?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bodyseeker

Plains, Mt.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm shopping for a pre owned coach and have found some listed as "all electric/ no propane". What are the opinion(s) of such a coach both pro and con. Will probably use the coach as one half time vs. full time for two adults. Probably alot of batteries and the issues that follow them.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you boon-dock, not necessarily the right coach for you.

If you go from CG with power 120 VAC to CG with 120 VAC power, just fine.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Kajtek1

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the one with 24 kW automatic start generator?
Look at the bright side. If you live in small city and the power goes down, you can plug the city transformer into your coach
I remember Johnny having one of those.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/09 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't want one but it depends on how you are going to use it.
bumpy

Gadget Guy

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

If you boon-dock, not necessarily the right coach for you.

If you go from CG with power 120 VAC to CG with 120 VAC power, just fine.

100% correct

tomlang

Los Angeles area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are designed for more for park use than for extensive boondocking. They have oversize battery banks and inverters to power the residential refrigerator and electric stovetop, and oversize autostart generators to power all this when the batteries are discharged (and also recharge the batteries).

The trade off is diesel and running the generator on a daily basis instead of LP and less frequent use of the generator. It is good to have one less fuel to contend with (LP) and residential refrigerators do work better than most RV refrigerators.

Generally, all electric coaches also have hydronic heating, which heats the water and the house area with hot water, heated from the engine (if running), or from a diesel burner, or from electricity when plugged in.

Tom and Lynne
Tom is an Electronics Engineer, Lynne a retired teacher.
2003 Foretravel 38' U295

Cruzer03

Sheboygan, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/09 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, there is lots of misinformation on all electric motorhomes. To be fair, it's mostly due to a lack of experience with them and a fear of the unknown. Therefore, everyone assumes that they'll suck your batteries dead in a minute or two - which is not the case.

We went through the same thought process. We don't have a totally all-electric coach. We still have the cooktop. But, after 3 years my LP tank is finally down to 72% (from the original 80%) and Leann uses the cooktop a lot. At that rate we'll still have the original propane in the tank 10 years from now. We have hydronic heating so there are no propane furnaces or water heater. The HydroHot can run off diesel or 120 volts. We also have an Amana 21 cu ft residential fridge as well as two of the large Norcold AC/DC freezers in the basement. The coach originally came with eight 12 volt AGM batteries producing 704 amp-hrs and a 3,000 watt true sine wave inverter. Since then I've added 4 more batteries for a total battery bank of 1,056 amp-hrs. I really didn't need them, but I like overkill.

We can boondock for a few days (even with the original 8 batteries) without having any power issues and we are not exactly what you would call conservative when it comes to power consumption. The residential fridge is so efficient that it really doesn't run that often. Same with the Norcold freezers. I can choose when to recharge my batteries at my convenience so that Im' not rushed into recharging and monitoring them constantly.

An electric cooktop would take it to the next level. When you think about how many more amps an electric cooktop would draw, then factor in the very limited time that you would actually be using it you can derive just how many amp-hrs you'll need from your batteries. I'd wager that most RVers won't really notice the difference. If you are an extensive boondocker you may want to reconsider but I really feel that most RVers would enjoy an all-electric coach. It all boils down to your usage and just what kind of cooktop the chief cook wants to cook on. Going to the residential fridge is a huge plus. It's not only much larger than out previous 12 cu ft Notsocold but it's much more reliable and not as finicky. If you do go with a true all-electric coach you also gain the propane tank area to use as a storage compartment.

Mark Quasius
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP - Cummins 400 ISL
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/09 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bodyseeker wrote:

I'm shopping for a pre owned coach and have found some listed as "all electric/ no propane". What are the opinion(s) of such a coach both pro and con. Will probably use the coach as one half time vs. full time for two adults. Probably alot of batteries and the issues that follow them.

It seems like the people that have them love them pretty much ( and all the amenities that go with them..heating wise...etc)

For what the wife and I do they would limit US in a manner I wouldnt care for...but thats a one couple scenario also.

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/09 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a propane MH and now have an all electric MH. I would never go back to propane. It was a pain filling the tank. The fridge never worked well.

In the all electric we have a residential fridge and it works great. We have boondocked for 1 week many times, but easily could have gone longer. We run the genset 2 hours during breakfast and 2 hours at night. If we need AC that's a different story. There is a lot of misinformation around on all electric MH's.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/09 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoy the flexibility of having propane on our coach.

Filled the tank in January of this year, 8,000 miles and six significant trips later we still have 1/2 of a tank.

Fridge seems to cool faster on propane, having the flexibility for hot water and having the gas oven on board is great. Cooking with gas is much better than an electric range in our opinion.

You will find a wide variety of opinions I am sure.

Either way, if the coach is well designed it should serve you well.

Dave

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Propane Yes? No?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts