Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Arctic Fox vs Komfort
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Arctic Fox vs Komfort

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/09 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were pretty sure we wanted an Arctic Fox 26X and have been looking around for a 2 or 3 year old one the last little while.
Today we went to an RV show and walked through a Komfort 256TS and were pretty impresed with it, seems to be a well built unit.

So we're wondering how the 2 compare? The AF uses all plywood, no OSB at all, the Komfort is plywood except for the floor which is one solid piece of "Dynaspan" (which sounds like OSB to me). The Komfort salesman says it's better than plywood cuz being 1 piece there's no seams to worry about but we just sold our 94 Nomad that had plywood floors and we never had an issue with the floor joints.

The AF's have had delamination problems with their filon walls, the Komfort's walls are advertised as flex-coat fiberglass, are they really fiberglass?

Both the AF 26X and Komfort 256TS have aluminum stud walls, the AF is a Silver fox with wood inside the aluminum anywhere there's something screwed to the walls, (doors, windows, wall joints etc)

The AF has that round vinyl gink stuff at the floors which seems a little odd, even our cheap old Nomad didn't use it there, what are they hiding? Both are what we consider "higher end" units but right now we're leaning toward the Komfort, any input or opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Will

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're very happy with our Komfort, and we looked at most brands. Compare the suspension and frame of the Komfort as well as the construction and finish with the others. Hope you find what you want, its fun to look.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Artic Fox is a superior brand, very heavy, very well built.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would be happy with either one quality wise. I'm going Wednesday to look at a 28 year old Komfort that's still in good shape for some friends to use on a trip.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both are first rate..we researched both in great detail.
We went Komfort only because we liked one of the floorplans they offered.
You can't go wrong with either.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for peace of mind you might spend some time on this forum and the truck camper forum doing a search on Arctic Fox and see what comes up. It might surprise you.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

BillandCarole

Vacaville, CA,, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/09 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Komfort 241fs is now a little over 18 months old. We have traveled nearly 30K with it including a 4 month trip to Alaska this summer. This has been our experience:
1. We put over size (16 inch) tires on it. Komforts and Artic foxes both run heavy. Ours weighs nearly 8K when loaded. However with the oversize tires we are still nearly 3K under our gross weight. (A comfort). Our critical factor is TV gross weight (9200 lbs) which we crowd because it is a 5'ver.
2. Our gray water (45 gals) fills long before our black water (also 45 gals). The tank indicators are practically useless and not to be trusted.
3. All the appliances have had no issues although the heater ducts were full of junk and we have had to remove the grates several times to clean out all the manufacturing crud left in them.
4. Depending on the jack positions and stress, our floor tends to squeak. An annoyance that comes and goes.
5. The air conditioner struggles when temperatures reach a 100. I wish we had upgraded it to 13000 BTU's. An issue that we want to address. The rig is well (for a rig) insulated but this still isn't a lot.
6. With the axles flipped, and oversize tires, we're tall. A little over 120 inches.
7. Some of the cabinet hinges were installed incorrectly and had to be repaired.
This being said, overall we are pleased with the rig. Nothing is perfect. Also, if you call Komfort, (they are made in Clackamas, Oregon) they will give you a factory tour. Ours was an eye opener.
Best Wishes
Bill and Carole

2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and Kitten "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2K7 Komfort 241fs
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000 to power the toys
Garmin GPS's
"And were still wandering..."

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Just for peace of mind you might spend some time on this forum and the truck camper forum doing a search on Arctic Fox and see what comes up. It might surprise you.

Yes, I know they have a real problem with de-lamination problems with their campers.
One thing though, sitting here at home I can't remember if the Komfort has the in floor heat. The AF's seem to have their registers in pretty weird spots, like right in the middle where it's hard to miss them. Helps keep the floors warm I guess, does Komfort have in floor heat too?

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

does Komfort have in floor heat too?

Yes..registers are in the floor.
If you want, you can private message me and I'll be glad to give you any help I can.

Our situation was similar to yours..we went to an RV show in Seattle to buy an Arctic Fox...and switched to a Komfort after seeing them at the show.

RustySocket

SW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I looked at them both and went with the AF30U custom ordered from the factory. At the end of the day it got down the dealer and price.

The Komfort dealer had our previous business on a WW that had a whole load of frame and roof issues. They pretty much left me hanging on my own until they found out we were interested in a new unit. They wanted MSRP on a comparable Komfort trailer. I was already unhappy with the service department and the AF dealer gave me a great price. There was almost 11k difference betweend the Komfort and AF. In the end we decided to give the AF dealer our business.

The 30U has not been perfect. It has had the typical minor things that need tweaked here and there and we did have one issue where the soft roll pin on the slide mechanism sheared off. However the fix was minor.

I do want to say that both the AF dealer and the Northwood factory have gone above and beyond in their customer service. The factory does not screw around and stall. They shipped parts on my or my dealers word immediatly and I have no regrets.

I think either brand are going to be wonderful units and being that they are built here in the northwest they are suitable for our climate. You really can't go wrong with either.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Arctic Fox vs Komfort
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS