Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Roo bunkend door seal kit

Posted By: jphillips on 09/28/09 09:11pm

hellooooooo,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Forest River helped me out with free bunkend seal kits. I bought a used 2009 23SS. Since it was used I have no warranty. When I found out that both beds leak in hard rains, I emailed Forest River warranty, tstringfellow@forestriverinc.com. He promptly sent me out 2 kits at no charge. Apparently not all trailers leak, but if yours does and it's not in warranty, contact them with serial number. I think this speaks well of Forest River.

jp

Posted By: Deus Ex Machina on 09/29/09 05:23am

Good to know (printing this page for reference).

My bunk ends are starting to leak and I'd like to implement a fix before permanent damage is done.

Paul

Posted By: bikendan on 09/29/09 05:26pm

westcoast wrote:

Thanks for posting! Could you please let us know what is in the kit once you receive it? We are awaiting delivery of a 2010 Roo and would like to see if it already has the "kit" installed or not.Thanks!

this kit is for older (pre-2009) models. it's called a FR front bunk field repair kit. people were getting it last year. a new 2010 won't need it. it already has the re-designed system.

this has been around for some time. someone, last year, posted a link to a series of installation pics. i had this kit shipped to my dealer at the end of last year. FR sent the wrong kit and had to re-ship the correct one with a new door. the door was damaged in transit. the new replacement door finally arrived a couple of months ago. will have it finally installed next month.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Posted By: skeechle on 09/29/09 07:41pm

Might want to have your local dealer. I have a 2007 Roo 233. I contacted them to see how much it would cost to have them install it. My warranty ran out in 2008. Not only did forest river send the parts to fix the unit but they are paying my dealership to install them on the front bunk. Forest river actually sent me one for each door. Hopefully only the front end is all I will need to replace.

2004 Suburban 5.3 L
2007 Rockwood Roo 233

Posted By: jphillips on 09/29/09 07:25pm

hellooooooo,

Go to the following site: http://picasaweb.google.com/NickYannucci/RooFrontBunk#5260882801832177170. It shows slides of what's in the kit and how to install it.

jp

Posted By: westcoast on 09/29/09 02:14pm

Thanks for posting! Could you please let us know what is in the kit once you receive it? We are awaiting delivery of a 2010 Roo and would like to see if it already has the "kit" installed or not.

Thanks!

Posted By: bikendan on 09/30/09 04:36pm

jphillips wrote:

hellooooooo,

i don't have a Roo dealer where i live. i bought my trailer used from a Roo dealer but they are 300 miles from where i live. if there were a dealer here, i would curtainly let them do it.jp

the dealer doing my bunk repair isn't a Roo dealer. they do sell hybrids, so they understand them. but FR is authorizing them to do the warranty work.

since i bought my Roo, nearly 3 years ago, all my warranty work has been done by non-Roo dealers and 2 of them don't even sell any Forest River products.

Posted By: bikendan on 10/02/09 12:13am

LG_09Roo23SS_RG, you probably have an early '09 model that was using '08 seals. most changes come in the middle of the model year. my '07 was actually a late model '06. the fabric in it was from the 2006 model line. that color/pattern fabric wasn't available for the 2007 models. but the early '07 models were '06 holdovers. and the same happens each year.

your '09 could be a late model '08 holdover.

Posted By: TheGrinch on 10/01/09 07:14am

Is FR sending this kit out free or is there an initial cost to it? I've experienced some water in the front bunk on my 2008 23SS while driving in rain - it's a pain in the wazoo. I have a dealer that will work on the Roo, but doesn't sell FR products.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27BESS
2012 Nissan Armada
Equal-I-zer WDH w/P2 Brake Controller
TheGrinch
DW
3 Sheltie Furkids; Sasha (The Ghost), Gina (The Bear) & Ginny (The Biscuit)
Bris, Mocha and Jessica waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Posted By: sjones6335 on 10/04/09 06:19pm

miatared wrote:

did we not send men to the moon 40 years ago!

DS

That was staged. There was never a moon landing. I think they are calling them "man made historical moments" now.

http://fortfiends.net
2011 Jayco X23B
PCMforless, Airaid Intake, & Scangauge II

Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth.

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/05/09 10:55am

Just got off the phone with Forest River, they said they may not be able to send me the kits since I am not the original owner but that they would try. Nice guy on the phone. Here's hoping...

dogshowgirl
Shamrock T-17 HTT
wild and crazy toydogs!

Posted By: jphillips on 09/30/09 04:31pm

hellooooooo,

i don't have a Roo dealer where i live. i bought my trailer used from a Roo dealer but they are 300 miles from where i live. if there were a dealer here, i would curtainly let them do it. i was traveling home from my last trip, late at night, when a strong storm blew in. we decided to stop for the night. where we parked the rear of the trailer was facing the rain and IT CAME IN. so, just because your rear one hasn't leaked maybe you've just not been at the right(or wrong) angle. i would ask them to do both just in case.

jp

Posted By: miatared on 10/04/09 06:05pm

In April '10, my better half and I will be picking our new Shamrock by Flagstaff 19 - essentially identical to the Roo.

Thanks for this info, we'll be looking at ours carefully. I know the HTT is newish (well 9 years or so) and leaks have been an issue but am hoping FR has finally figured it out... did we not send men to the moon 40 years ago!

DS

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 10/01/09 06:44pm

regarding ANY Forest River bunk end seal warranty or non info, we were supplied this by Forest River--- (and ours is 2009)--
GREGG ROLLINS IN WARRANTY DEPT @ 574-642-2640 X-225 ABOUT THE SEAL KIT.

bikendan, ours is a 2009 and when we called about the exact canvas and all that for our insurance damage, they asked us if we had had any door seal leak issues. We replied No , never , not in being parked in rain nor in driving in a hard rain. So then they transferred us and said to give them the vin number as some 2009 are affected and ours also has to quote, part of the 2010 seals. Don't understand but that's what they said and they are sending out 2 kits free but since we have not had an issue with leaking are not paying for the 4 hours installation at $95 (Forest River certified rate) per hour. They also emailed the typical jpg of instructions. Since we haven't had any leak, we're not worried but will take the free kits for sure and have already negotiated with our FR local service for a better price if and when we install them (which we will in off-season for resale reasons if nothing else)
This is who TStringfellow switched us to:

GREGG ROLLINS IN WARRANTY DEPT @ 574-642-2640 X-225 ABOUT THE SEAL KIT.
FOREST RIVER) HAVE YOUR VIN READY TO GIVE HIM.

Grinch, we have and also told so, not had any leaks, plus ours is post-2008 and yet they are paying for the kits and shipping- but not the labor. You should contact Forest River and discuss your problem with them, warranty or not.

Posted By: madbare on 10/13/09 12:43pm

They did not send me the instructions. There is a link to a guy that did have them that I posted in another thread. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Posted By: madbare on 10/13/09 12:44pm

Instructions and Pics

Posted By: madbare on 10/13/09 10:48am

There are more than just new seals with the kit. It also comes with the new U-channel piece, hinge, and rubber dam. I replaced all mine with the new kit and I can tell you even though I had issues with water coming in on the corners, when I removed the u-channel, I could see water had been getting in there. Upon closer inspection, the way it was put together I can see why. Even if you dont have water issues I bet almost all of these are allowing water up in u-channel from between the dam and u channel. The way it was put together is like this, u-channel stapled to the bunk door, rubber dam stapled, then hinge screwed. Well there was no caulk or butyl tape between the dam and the u-channel and that allowed moisture to get in there and up through the staples. Most of the staples were rusted and the very lower edge of the bunk door was starting to delam. The way the new set is done is you put the rubber dam over the end of the bunk and install the u-channel over that. I put a good bunch of caulk between the dam and u-channel. Then you attach the hing with caulk and screws. So there is no staples in this setup. I think it is a much better setup. For those of you that have not done the upgrade I would seriously think about it after what I saw when I pulled that door apart. Again, I only had slight water intrusion in the lower corners and would have never saw that water was getting inside the bunk door from the bottom.

* This post was edited 10/13/09 11:07am by madbare *

Posted By: SATCRNP1972 on 10/13/09 12:20pm

They send the instructions in an email, check your spam folder perhaps. it's actually a downloaded jpeg file .

-Sarah-

Sarah and 2 little twins,
2009 Rockwood by Forest River, Model Roo 23SS
Southern Indiana, USA

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/07/09 02:13pm

My dealer said our HTT wasn't part of the recalls, but Gregg at FR said it was! I'm calling Gregg back on Monday, I think I'll insist my dealer put this fix on it. I don't want to have any problems later on!

2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!
Campground lot in Harrison MI.
2013 Keystone Summerland 3030BHGS

Posted By: HeyJude on 10/15/09 12:28pm

We were having the same leaking problems. It is covered by our warranty, hubby didn't want to take it in. But, after talking to Greg at FR, we are taking it in. Greg says there is a front seal problem will the 09 production and our HTT was in those that needed to be fixed.
Nice guy!

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/13/09 04:18pm

Aha- went back to look at the UPS slip, the other box requires a signature. I'll have to make arrangements to go get it. Thank you so much for that, I'd never have known to look! I love this forum!!

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/14/09 05:31pm

Another update- got the second box today, and talked to the dealership- the labor on the repair will be covered n/c. The fact that they can't get to it for three weeks.... sigh.

It was not exactly sunny but at least not raining this evening, so I pulled the mattresses out and lysoled the heck out of them, then left them out to dry. Set up a fan in the trailer, I'll drag the mattresses into the living room tonight (it's supposed to rain AGAIN) and put them back in the trailer in a day or so. One smells terrible, one is fine.

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/13/09 03:38pm

Hmm... so I got home from work today, and there's a long thin tube from Forrest River- in it is two long white u-shaped strips and two long thin hinges. No letter, instructions... Not really sure what to do with that, the rest of the stuff that is in the great pictorial posted last isn't in there. I guess take the pieces to my dealership?

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/11/09 08:25pm

Didn't get the seal kit yet, sure wish I had- I had VERY WET beds and dinette cushions this weekend . I'm going to call the dealership again in the morning- Forrest River didn't call me back (neither did the dealership) can't keep on with this much water coming in. It wasn't this bad when I got it a couple of months ago (it's used), I'm not sure why the problem is getting worse!!
Luckily it was just me, and one bed dried out enough to use with a pad over it by nighttime (I had the whole trailer open with the beds airing all afternoon- good thing dog show people are pretty good at watching each other's stuff!).
If I can't get the seal kit, I'll be letting you know!! Oh, found out mine is an 06, not an 07 like I thought when I bought it... hope the fix isn't too expensive, but don't really have a choice at this point...

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 10/12/09 08:26pm

He quoted me the same price, said since I wasn't the first owner he didn't think he could get them to me for free but he'd call me back... didn't call, I'm assuming I'd have to pay. I'm going to see if the dealership can do any better (not holding my breath).

Posted By: 5.0 Hatch on 10/13/09 11:56am

madbare wrote:

There are more than just new seals with the kit. It also comes with the new U-channel piece, hinge, and rubber dam. I replaced all mine with the new kit and I can tell you even though I had issues with water coming in on the corners, when I removed the u-channel, I could see water had been getting in there. Upon closer inspection, the way it was put together I can see why. Even if you dont have water issues I bet almost all of these are allowing water up in u-channel from between the dam and u channel. The way it was put together is like this, u-channel stapled to the bunk door, rubber dam stapled, then hinge screwed. Well there was no caulk or butyl tape between the dam and the u-channel and that allowed moisture to get in there and up through the staples. Most of the staples were rusted and the very lower edge of the bunk door was starting to delam. The way the new set is done is you put the rubber dam over the end of the bunk and install the u-channel over that. I put a good bunch of caulk between the dam and u-channel. Then you attach the hing with caulk and screws. So there is no staples in this setup. I think it is a much better setup. For those of you that have not done the upgrade I would seriously think about it after what I saw when I pulled that door apart. Again, I only had slight water intrusion in the lower corners and would have never saw that water was getting inside the bunk door from the bottom.

Would you happen to have a copy of the instructions? I got my kit but don't have the instructions. Thanks

Posted By: 5.0 Hatch on 10/19/09 08:59am

Anyone know where I can pick up some of the weatherstripping that goes around the bunkend door? I really like the one that came with my seal kit and would like to do the same for the rear door without having to buy from forest river if possible. Thanks.

Posted By: Deus Ex Machina on 10/12/09 07:49pm

jphillips wrote:

hellooooooo,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Forest River helped me out with free bunkend seal kits. I bought a used 2009 23SS. Since it was used I have no warranty. When I found out that both beds leak in hard rains, I emailed Forest River warranty, tstringfellow@forestriverinc.com. He promptly sent me out 2 kits at no charge. Apparently not all trailers leak, but if yours does and it's not in warranty, contact them with serial number. I think this speaks well of Forest River.

jp

Well, I contacted Mr. Stringfellow, and he quoted me $78 EACH for the front and rear kits.

Guess he liked you better.

Basically, you can get addational seals from Home Depot for about $20, but would be nice to have them all pre-cut and ready for installation. I'm not paying $156 to have someone pre-cut the weather stripping for me though.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 10/13/09 03:54pm

There should be two boxes. The long tube and a square box that is around 18" square. Maybe somehow UPS didn't drop off both at same time.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 10/08/09 03:46pm

dogshow did you ever get the seal kit? FR sent us both boxes of the thing and the only difference on our 2009 versus the 2010 is a very small portion of gasket so we may have a lot of extra we could maybe help you with especially since you're not too far from us in NorthWest Alabama. Hope you got it though, Forest River has always been fantastic on service and questions with us. We've had more than 1 forestriver (as well as jayco and fleetwood) in the past and we'd rate ForestRiver #1, Jayco #2 (close- a lot depends on the dealer /service department) #3 (only by default because they rate an F F F on everything-Fleetwood)

Posted By: lisa3girls on 11/12/09 11:24am

a new 2010 won't need it. it already has the re-designed system.

I wish that were true! One of our bed ends leaks when driving in heavy rain and the other leaks any rain, even when we are camping. And I cannot get the warranty people to do what they should.

Lisa, Tedd and the 3 Girls

RV 2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
TV 2005 Chevy Silverado Quad Cab

Posted By: hybrid233 on 01/14/10 02:05pm

Just recieved my parts from Gregg at Forest River.
I'll be doing the work myself, since I'm way out of warranty.
I'm glad this thread was here. & Forest River Backed their product.

Now I wish I could find the video I saw on this repair

2011 Cougar 293SAB
2010 Chevy 3500HD D/A DRW
B&W Turnover Ball / 5th Wheel Companion
Give the Gift of Life
Thank You

Posted By: PU-Newbie on 11/13/09 09:19pm

Hey LG_09Roo23SS_RG,

Here are the answers to your questions.

1) I had asked all of the HTT owners at the campground where we are at and everyone complained about some sort of leaks with the Forest River owners complaining the most. Guess I should have asked the questions before I bought the HTT.

2) Yes, I am in the process of replacing the tenting for the front bunk end. The leak was bad and the previous owners did not take care of it. There is even a hole in the front door due to the rot. This will be part of the restoration project for the front end. I wish that there was a way to clean it without having to replace the tenting, but, we haven't found it yet.

3) I understand about the seal kits, however, as I mentioned, I have no choice but to have the HTT under a complete frontal labotomy and I need to replace the seals, door assembly and tenting. I was just wondering that if anyone had ordered a door assembly weather it came with the handles and brackets, or, would I have to remove the old ones and mount them on the new door.

4) Since the HTT is stationed at the campground surrounded by two large wooden decks,I cannot take the trailer to the dealer. But, what I do have is a campground full of super talented people including my neighbour who is a mechanic. I am sure that if we start early in the day that after a couple BBQ's and case of beer that we will be able to accomplish the job.

5) Unfortunately, I did buy it used this past September and made one of these quick decisions as there were people lined up to buy it. It was impulsive and looking back, probably not the right one, but, it is too late and we can only look forward to some repairs and an incredible summer !

We have been suffering from withdrawal since we winterized and closed up our new baby. We will be going through an extreme makeover and will be re-doing the inside of the HTT as the design and colors are pretty ugly. It will be a labor of love in which the whole family is involved.

Thanx....

2 Parents
2 Kids
2 Mortgages now
09 Santa Fe ("Black Beauty")
2012 Zinger 31SB ("the mobile puppy 3")
2002 Shamrock 23
" Flexible people don't get bent out of shape. "

Posted By: PU-Newbie on 11/11/09 04:03pm

I will going through the whole process this spring of having to change the front end door assembly on my 2002 Shamrock. I am not looking forward to it as the HTT is stationary and I will have to do it along with some helpful neighbors. In my conversations with all involved, it seems like almost everyone leaks after the winter. Mine so bad that I will be forced to replace the tenting as well. Guess it will be a good Saturday project at the campground. When you order the new door, does it come with the handles and pole brackets or do they have to be removed from the old one ?

Posted By: bikendan on 11/15/09 05:24pm

PU Newbie, i'm sure the kit will not have the cargo latches with it.
i got a new door, hinge and seal kit from FR. there were no latches of any kind with it.
you'll have to buy them. they are much better than the screw type.
Fastech seems to be the main company for them.

Posted By: bikendan on 11/17/09 06:33pm

sjones6335 wrote:

HeyJude wrote:

GREGG ROLLINS IN WARRANTY DEPT @ 574-642-2640 X-225

Thanks for the contact info.
I called & left a message early monday but have yet to hear from Mr. Rollins. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

i've found that Gregg responds to better to emails than he does phone calls/messages. i would recommend contacting him that way.

Posted By: madbare on 11/12/09 04:17pm

If you are in the least bit handy, I would recommend doing this yourself so you can see how things are. I did mine a little different from the instructions. I cut the dam at the bunk door and folded it back over the cabinet. Then I replaced all the components on the door like the instructions show. I then layed the new dam over the old dam that was folded back and caulked and put the trim piece and nailed it. I did it this way so the old dam still protects the cabinet wood, otherwise water could still get to it and cause it to swell and you would not know it because it is under the dam. The hardest part of the whole thing is lining the new door and hinge up. The new hinge they supply does not match the holes of the old one so you need to make new holes. I got it to within about 1/8" side to side and said it was good enough.

Posted By: jocobe on 11/17/09 07:55pm

Can you give us his email address?

Thanx!
John

Posted By: jocobe on 11/18/09 07:28am

Thanx!

Posted By: icepickjazz on 01/24/10 07:53pm

hybrid233 wrote:

Just recieved my parts from Gregg at Forest River.
I'll be doing the work myself, since I'm way out of warranty.
I'm glad this thread was here. & Forest River Backed their product.

Now I wish I could find the video I saw on this repair

Not a video, but some pics. Follow this link

'08 Rockwood Roo 23SS -- '04 Ford Explorer V8

Posted By: Dave The Tech Man on 02/02/10 02:56pm

Hello Everyone and I have to thank you all for the posts. Without the heads up from you all I would have been in a world of hurt come spring(probably be sleeping on the deck of the ROO). I have a 2009 ROO 232 and I have never seen any evidence of water leakage until I read this thread. After reading this I went out to do an inspection. Glad I did! I was shocked. I have a 1 year old camper with a bunk that is about to fall off! The design is so poor on the bunks the water seeps in the "J" channel at the bottom of the bunk. The bunk seeps up the water and starts to swell, in my case I have the lower 6 inches from the "J" channel up completely rotten. You can see it from the outside of the bunk the lower 4 to 6 inches are starting to swell and de-laminate. The moisture was absorbed by the bunk so we never saw it on the inside of the ROO.The staples on the inside of the bunk are rusty and seeping water! In short the bunk was about to fall off! Possible with me in it!The hinge is mounted to the rotten portion of the bunk (screws pulling out and everything). I have been working with FR for about 8 weeks now and they have replaced the complete front bunk and the new seal kit for the rear, all free of charge. Everyone I have worked with has exceeded my expectations. Top shelf professional people. The new bunk came with the new seal kit already installed and all the hardware, excluding the velcro and the snaps for the tent. I have to purchase the velcro and move the snaps. I just have to remove the 20 hinge screws and put on the new bunk.
Thanks again everyone.
Be safe and inspect the hinge area closely or you may be falling out of bed!
Dave

Dave
2009 Rockwood ROO 232
2007 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI Equal-I-Zer WDH
Me, DW 3 Daughters (6,16,19)

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/15/09 08:03pm

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/12/09 11:55am

dogshowgirl wrote:

Question- can't they run your VIN number and tell if your camper is affected by the seal kit problem? When I called FR, they took my VIN number and promptly sent me the kit. I've been waiting three weeks to get into the dealership and they say it'll be another two before they can fit me in (!) but my dealership is telling me that the labor is covered... we'll see how that turns out, seems the bulk of people have not heard that answer. Could be that they're covering it since I just bought the camper from them a couple of months ago (used).

Greg ran my vin, told me it was one that needed the seal kit. It was my stealership that told me it didn't need it. If, when all this is over, the dealer doesn't do the work I will ask Greg to send the kit to my home and my DH will do the work.

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/12/09 09:02am

LG_09Roo23SS_RG wrote:

Be sure to keep all emails and notes of things when you speak with Forest River. The dealer isn't the deciding factor in whether you get sent a free kit from Forest River - the warranty department (even if it's not in warranty) is the one and they base the decision generally upon your VIN (serial number) which I presume you have given them and they've said yes? You can also purchase it for about $50 or so I think (forget who told me that) If your dealer is so reluctant to assist, I'd be finding another service center to do the labor (unless you're planning to do yourself)

I'm really surprised it's taking this long on the bunkend kit , everyone I've heard of including myself - we got them fast and painlessly.

Sure hope your roof issue gets resolved fast too, that sucks but that of course is under the roof mfg coverage and then has to coordinate with FR I guess . What a pain in the behind, good luck to you! Let the forum know what your end results are, especially with the roof as there have been very very very few roof failures in newer models that I've heard of . By the way, where was the failure on the roof, just curious? middle, edges, bubbling, what?

I tried calling Gregg yesterday, no call back yet. My dealer is being a pain in the a@@, he isn't real happy with me. Gregg was the person who told me my roof had to be replaced because of a rip in it, but my dealer didn't get a call back from FR yet to go ahead. He mentioned he was going to just seal the rip, I hope not! Why it is there I don't know, but at least we know that is why we found water on the table, in the bathroom and where it dripped by the bunk. All depended on how the wind was blowing.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/12/09 09:30am

Talked to Greg this morning, there is a 3 or so inch cut in the roof, he said he authorized the whole roof replacement.
If I get the camper back and it is only patched, I'm will be a mite peeved!
Also, he is telling my dealer to check for another indication that my bunkend is not part of the run that has the bad seal. One of the signs is the hinge is on the outside, and there is one other thing to look for, but I didn't understand what he was saying. I asked him to send me a photo of the damage to the roof, but he said he couldn't that our dealer would have to send it to me, ya right!

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/11/09 02:18pm

LG_09Roo23SS_RG wrote:

HeyJude wrote:

Our HTT is still under warranty and has a leak problem. Our dealer said the leak was from the roof, but I want that seal fixed too, just in case. I don't want to have a problem a year down the way and not have it under warranty.

Ours is under warranty as well. But the bunk end seals are not labor-covered as far as I've heard for anyone that didn't have major damage already proven to be from the seals. Your roof has a 12 year warranty separate anyway, so if it's the actual roof membrane, no problem for many years as far as warranty, but you might consider the seams and putting eternabond all around those especially if it was via a seam and not the roof itself so to speak. The Forest River first year and second year optional warranties are fine but all of your components have separate warranties, and many are many many yers (like the roof) , it might help to read thoroughly each one (be sure you activated online or mailed in the cards) and make a master list of when each expires- might save you some worry.

Forest River to my knowledge is being very good about sending out the seal re-do kits free to basically anyone requesting in the pre-2010 models. Negotiate the labor costs with your service person if you're not doing yourself. We were told about 4 hours at 95 per but our great service guy ended up charging only 100 total for both bunkends.

I miss spoke. It is not a recall... But, I would like the kits just in case. My dealer said mine was not on the run that has the problem, Gregg said it was.
My roof has to be completely replaced, I'm not sure why, I'm waiting for Gregg to get back with me.

Posted By: HeyJude on 11/07/09 02:38pm

Our HTT is still under warranty and has a leak problem. Our dealer said the leak was from the roof, but I want that seal fixed too, just in case. I don't want to have a problem a year down the way and not have it under warranty.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 11/15/09 07:09pm

I just got back yesterday driving from FL to MA with my 2010 Roo 19. The entire ride involved the rain from tropical storm Ida. Well I went out today after the rain stopped to check for any leaks. The pics below show what I found. There is water that got in at the bottom gasket on both sides & some got past the top gasket on the left side of the front bunk door. Water was all over the inner wood shelf. Is this similar to the problems everyone else is having? Is there a direct phone number for the Greg you guys are talking about?

Sorry this one is a little harder to see.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 11/17/09 05:34pm

HeyJude wrote:

Thanks for the contact info.
I called & left a message early monday but have yet to hear from Mr. Rollins. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 11/18/09 11:00am

No I never got around to finishing it. I had not had a water problem at that point. The water seems to have come in in the corners of the flexible rubber gasket at the bunks connection to the door. We've never had water when the unit is parked so I assume it was just the driving rain. I know it wasn't the way I folded up the canvas because I triple check before closing the bunk. Hopefully I hear from the mfg soon.

Yes the trip was fantastic, thanks.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 11/19/09 05:26pm

Here's an update to my story. I spoke with Gregg & described my problem. He seems to think either the gasket isn't installed correct or something else is & the door isn't seating properly. He wanted me to contact my dealer which I've done. I called RVDirect and they are going to help me get someone local to do the repair. This hopefully will go easily & I'll have a good report to post in a few weeks.

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 12/01/09 03:35pm

Update to my own bunkend fix story... FR sent the parts, and the dealership did the install FOR FREE. I was impressed, after hearing a lot here about having to pay labor for this... so, some dealerships will actually do this! Now, to see if the fix works!! Bring on the rain...LOL

Posted By: dogshowgirl on 11/12/09 09:46am

Question- can't they run your VIN number and tell if your camper is affected by the seal kit problem? When I called FR, they took my VIN number and promptly sent me the kit. I've been waiting three weeks to get into the dealership and they say it'll be another two before they can fit me in (!) but my dealership is telling me that the labor is covered... we'll see how that turns out, seems the bulk of people have not heard that answer. Could be that they're covering it since I just bought the camper from them a couple of months ago (used).

Posted By: wolf_rver on 11/18/09 07:43am

Steve,

First off, hope the trip was great. Did you use that homemade flashing you were working on when you drove back in the storm? Where do you think the water came in from? I had some water in mine as well from driving to PA over columbus day weekend. It was on the front and the rear beds.

Let me know how things are working out.

Eric

2010 Roo 183
2006 Suburban
1 Better Half
1 DS
2 Mix Breed Pups
1 Crazy Cat

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/18/09 04:18am

jocobe wrote:

Can you give us his email address?

Thanx!
John

It is --
grollins@forestriverinc.com

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/15/09 02:48pm

PU Newbie- hey, that's great that you have it setup where there are lots of people to help and have experiences, that's a big break for you for sure.

I presume you're ordering the door assembly from Forest River? They're very good at answering questions when you order any parts or so on, I had to talk to them several times with a PU of ours and my stepsons TT. They should be able to tell you for sure, but my guess would be you need to take the hardware off and keep it to reuse. Also, that may have been the older style (twisty knobs instead of clamps?) then? if so , I'm sure you want to upgrade to the latches- much tighter fit

Sorry you got so much of a headache but it will be an interesting project as you say and so nice you have it setup to do all that in one spot with help. Good luck and sure want to see before/after shots of this

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/07/09 03:06pm

HeyJude wrote:

Ours is under warranty as well. But the bunk end seals are not labor-covered as far as I've heard for anyone that didn't have major damage already proven to be from the seals. Your roof has a 12 year warranty separate anyway, so if it's the actual roof membrane, no problem for many years as far as warranty, but you might consider the seams and putting eternabond all around those especially if it was via a seam and not the roof itself so to speak. The Forest River first year and second year optional warranties are fine but all of your components have separate warranties, and many are many many yers (like the roof) , it might help to read thoroughly each one (be sure you activated online or mailed in the cards) and make a master list of when each expires- might save you some worry.

Forest River to my knowledge is being very good about sending out the seal re-do kits free to basically anyone requesting in the pre-2010 models. Negotiate the labor costs with your service person if you're not doing yourself. We were told about 4 hours at 95 per but our great service guy ended up charging only 100 total for both bunkends.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/07/09 02:21pm

Here's what happened for us, it's a 2009 Roo 23SS, when I called Forest River about some other info they asked me if we'd had any issues with our bunkend seals. We said no (as we thought we had not) and he said to email Greg Rollins with our serial number. Greg then returned the email and said they would send us the kit for free but not pay labor. The kit comes in two boxes (a square light one and a very tall round cylinder) and he emails a .jpg image of the instructions. It is not a "recall" per se. I suggest you call the warranty department with your serial (vin) number and then see what they say. Good luck.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/07/09 02:23pm

5.0 Hatch, our service guy that installed our kits said he has gotten it at Lowe's before for others. Forest River sent us enough for both bunks, go figure. But the package had a small puncture that their little tube of caulk had fallen out of , guess we're lucky we didn't lose more parts.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/07/09 02:26pm

keep in mind that it is not an official recall and labor will not likely be covered, they shipped us the parts but no labor included. the going rate for labor usually starts at 95 per hour although you may luck out as we did and get an independent but FR-certified service location to do it for much less. some can do it themselves but it's a 2man job at least and it was worth the labor costs we paid, we can see the difference in the sealing immediately now that it's done.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/11/09 02:47pm

Be sure to keep all emails and notes of things when you speak with Forest River. The dealer isn't the deciding factor in whether you get sent a free kit from Forest River - the warranty department (even if it's not in warranty) is the one and they base the decision generally upon your VIN (serial number) which I presume you have given them and they've said yes? You can also purchase it for about $50 or so I think (forget who told me that) If your dealer is so reluctant to assist, I'd be finding another service center to do the labor (unless you're planning to do yourself)

I'm really surprised it's taking this long on the bunkend kit , everyone I've heard of including myself - we got them fast and painlessly.

Sure hope your roof issue gets resolved fast too, that sucks but that of course is under the roof mfg coverage and then has to coordinate with FR I guess . What a pain in the behind, good luck to you! Let the forum know what your end results are, especially with the roof as there have been very very very few roof failures in newer models that I've heard of . By the way, where was the failure on the roof, just curious? middle, edges, bubbling, what?

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 11/11/09 07:55pm

PUNewbie- I'm trying to understand your post and questions and have quoted you to try to answer if I'm reading you right- apologies if I'm totally misreading what you are saying or asking.

""" In my conversations with all involved, it seems like almost everyone leaks after the winter. """

Well, I do not agree with that. Actually there are I think percentage-wise relatively few leaks reported and I don't understand the corelation you're making to winter? It's not just HTT but any trailer with a curved front that has risk due to a simple fact- water runs back. But a lot of HTT leaks come from misuse or should I say, not being careful enough, on the part of owners. You've got to make sure it's all tucked in , even one of those little "strings" caught in the bunk door will wick water in.

""" Mine so bad that I will be forced to replace the tenting as well.""" You're saying the front bunk seal leaked so much the tentage is ruined? Do you have the vinyl style tentage? Did you never notice it at all? It would seem it would take a long time of storage soaking wet in the proper environment for mildew to get and destroy the entire tentage. Maybe I'm not understanding what caused it.

"""When you order the new door, does it come with the handles and pole brackets or do they have to be removed from the old one ?""" To be clear, most of us are referring to the 'bunk end door seal kits'- this is the rubber gaskets and seals essentially... the main doors are not replaced hence no, the 'handles' and such are not with the sealkits. If you're asking about my replacement tentage because of the limb going through the roof, the entire tentage that was sent and replaced was everything that is "soft' - no hardware needed removed.

I think maybe you're saying you need to replace your entire metal door (the bunk floor when it's opened out) or something - trying to answer your questions but a little confused by what you're needing or expecting to get.

As for the bunkend seal replacement kit that Forest River sends out, one person can't do and two people should have a little basic handyman skill to do it and it isn't something you will likely want to do at camp. My service dealer had two guys working on the two bunkends (the front one is the main problem and has the most to redo) door seal replacement kit for about 2 hours. Replacing the canvas including removing the old (which I kept) took 2 of his people about 2 hours as well.

Also I'm curious since your hybrid is a 2002 did you buy it used with damage already?

Posted By: Leaf-Peeper on 02/02/10 05:08pm

Dave The Tech Man,

Sounds like your replacing the bunk (door) yourself? Check your new bunk door and see if the factory has applied caulking along the perimeter of the frame & the fiberglass exterior (ours wasn’t).

Most importantly, be sure the horizontal area of the bunk door frame above the hinge is well caulked. If water should be allowed to seep past the joint between frame and backward sloped fiberglass panel, it will collect inside the bottom of the doorframe, only to be absorbed into the vinyl-backed (and thirsty) luan board, beginning the delaminating process all over again.

'05 Chevy Tahoe & ’08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

Posted By: pixleys on 05/01/10 05:44pm

Hello all.

I hope everything is fine with new ends and all but if not take a look at this post I did last year...

My guide to leaky hybrids and what to do about it

Be sure to look at the last post!!!

2010 Roo 19'
2005 Honda Pilot EX

Posted By: hybrid233 on 07/28/10 09:35am

Well folks, I finally got around to fixing my front bunk door. I got the kit from Forest River No Charge. My Shamrock was well out of warranty so getting the channel, hinge & new type seals for the asking was great. I only noticed the staples on the bottom of the door starting to rust so that was the giveaway. I neverhad any water inside the trailer, but the door sucked up water like a spounge.
Here are the damage & the repair pic's
Bunk Door rebuild
I'm happy with the way it turned out. Now waiting for the rain test

Posted By: mwebber78 on 03/11/10 04:05pm

Sounds like great service.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: bikendan on 02/03/10 10:15am

sjones6335 wrote:

Dave The Tech Man

do you have any photos of your damage? I'm curious to see how it looked.

your 2010 already has the newer seals and hinge design that the kit comes with.
if you are having leaks, it's probably from an poor factory install unless some of the canvas is getting caught in the seals.

Posted By: jocobe on 02/02/10 04:22pm

Great....I just saw this thread and went outside to check out the front bunk door. It's delaminating and bubbling up all along the hinge. So I guess I'm calling Gregg tomorrow.....

Posted By: jocobe on 02/02/10 08:06pm

sjones6335 wrote:

Dave The Tech Man

I'll post mine when it stops snowing tomorrow. All along the hinge and up the left side of the door, the fiberglass is "bulged" out. It looks like the water is wicking up the plywood from the edges of the door panel.

I'm hoping I can get the ball rolling by calling Forest River tomorrow and having them ship the necessary parts to my dealer. Then I can just take it there for the repairs. It's inconvenient to take the rig to the dealer, tell me something I already know, then have to return for the repairs later when the parts arrive.

I just want to get this straightened out before our first trip in April.

Does anyone know about how long it takes for a bunk door panel to arrive, once ordered?

Posted By: jocobe on 03/11/10 03:48pm

Just picked up my ROO from the dealer and they did a smokin' job replacing the front bunk door, applying a new decal and installing two sets of weatherstrips.
From the time I called FR, until now, was about five weeks. I'd call that stellar customer service. It'd been nice if it had never happened, but it's nice to see a company stand behind their product.

I would definitely buy FR again.......

Posted By: Dave The Tech Man on 02/06/10 07:12am

From the time of the order, to delivery was about 3 weeks. I was told FR would have paid to have the dealer perform the labor, but I'm not confident in the competence of their mechanics. The new large ROO decal will need to be installed also. I'm going to take the bunk to an auto body shop before I install it, and have the decal professionally installed.I can just imagine what it would look like if the yo yo's at the dealer installed it.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 02/16/10 08:58am

Well I finally got the front bunk seal looked at & the dealer says the seals were installed correctly. The dealer believes that the 3 1/2 days of towing in heavy rain is what caused the water to end up getting past the gasket. We'll see the next time it's raining how the seal does. If I get water again they'll be looking at it a second time.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 02/03/10 10:49am

bikendan wrote:

sjones6335 wrote:

Dave The Tech Man

your 2010 already has the newer seals and hinge design that the kit comes with.
if you are having leaks, it's probably from an poor factory install unless some of the canvas is getting caught in the seals.

Yeah I realize I have the newer seal kit. You have it correct though, the factory did do a poor install according to Greg at forest river. I am just interested in seeing how bad the damage is, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted By: sjones6335 on 02/02/10 06:39pm

Dave The Tech Man

Posted By: dlstewart01 on 07/28/10 09:44am

My 2005 Roo 21SS was the same way. I replaced the front door and rebuilt the rear door. I sealed both doors where water CAN'T get inside them and put the latest and greatest seals on them. All has been well for the past year and a half.

I too had never had water inside the camper, so I didn't check the doors like I should have.

Print  |  Close