Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Diamond Shield Removal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diamond Shield Removal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I finally bit the bullet and started taking it off. Our Allegro Bus was built in May of 07 and came from the factory with Diamond Shield installed. I have not been pleased with the Diamond Shield as the larger and hard shelled bugs stick into the plastic and cannot be removed. In addition, when you try to rub them to remove, the Diamond Shield scratches and cannot be returned to it's original luster. Finally, a heavy stone hit will cut the Diamond Shield and chip the paint beneath it, and this cannot be repaired.

A week or so ago I started to remove it. Worked on the upper half of the generator cover first to "perfect" my technique. I was working in temps of about 70 and not in the sun. The upper generator piece peeled off with a few problems. At the edge in 3 areas the clear coat came off with it, but no other problems. I used lacquer thinner to remove residual glue. This left a very slight haze that polished out easily with swirl remover. The clear coat was repaired with a catalyzed material from Martin Senour with little problem. My DW could not see the spots until I pointed them out to her. The repairs were over black paint, so I was pleased.

Today I removed the rest of the upper piece on the cap, from entry door to under the driver side window. Temps were around 60 and again no sun. I found that pulling as close to parallel with the surface as I could worked best. When I used a heat gun on low, the film left a lot more glue than just pulling cold. I had 3 spots about the size of a pencil eraser that pulled off the black paint with it, but these should be very easy to fix. Again I used lacquer thinner to soften and remove residual glue. Where it was very heavy I softened it with lacquer thinner and used a red plastic scraper to remove the soft goo. Overall, I pulled about 16 square feet of the stuff off today, removed the residual glue and polished out the haze. Took about 2.5 hours.

Had I known it would be this easy I would have done the job last year. It tends to cramp up the ol' fingers a bit and will use about a gallon of lacquer thinner and a mess of rags for the whole job, but easily done by a dedicated do-it-yourself-er. The paint under it was excellent and has a shine now that beats anything I could get on the Diamond Shield, even when it was brand new.

I'll wait a few days and pull the rest. (give the fingers a rest). We have a bra for the rig from Coastline Cover for when we go extended miles on gravel, as we are dedicated Alaska travelers. (3 times in 4 years) I can fix stone chips, but could do nothing with the Diamond Shield. It definitely will be OFF my want list for a replacement coach when the time comes.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found if I spray it with Plexus (as recommended) not much sticks to our Diamond Shield at all. But hey, it's your MH and if you want to take it off thats your right to do so. I wouldn't be without it.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bugs will imbed if you leave then there for more than a day. I now wash them off at each overnight stop. The Diamond shield on my coach has prevented any dings in 70k miles so far. Our previous coach, a 2000 Safari Zanzi didn't have it and when we traded it in at 50k miles the dealer wanted to deduct a grand+ for the rock chips even tho I'd touched them up. I've used the Plexus, buffed on, and it really helps the bug removal job.
I too am not really enamored with the looks of the Diamond Shield on the front but dagnabit I really think the chips are worse!!

littlegeorge

Lincoln, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you get bugs off real easy by using used dryer fabric sheets. i have used them for years and have no problems.

GEAyers

stinksweet

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what is plexus and where do you get it

40' 2006 Monaco Diplomat PRQ

jurzbill

Edgewater Florida and this great country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/09 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been instructed to use aero 303 after I wipe down the seams with a clorox/water solution and then let it air dry.
Will check on this plexus stuff also...

2004 ksdp 39ft
toad:06 Saturn Vue

FMCA F359471, Newmar Kountry Klub 17645
bill, linda cary grant, carley.
chance and chase are with us in spirit and travels with us where ever we go.

pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stinksweet wrote:

what is plexus and where do you get it

It is a plexiglas polish and cleaner. Google it there are many suppliers.
Ron

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, dabbing a bit of touch up paint on a stone chip just makes a mess. When I was saying I could fix a stone chip, this was not what I was referring to. A proper fix requires filling, sanding with w/d sandpaper depending on the damage, repainting, re-sanding, spraying with clear, re-sanding and polishing. Repair when done well is just about invisible from 12".

I have tried Plexus, drier sheets, and at least 15 other products that were recommended. Bottom line is that if the Diamond Shield was damaged, nothing works and it cannot be repaired. Neither can the paint under it be fixed. We clean off bugs and the entire coach at least once a day when driving, with the front usually getting 2 cleanings a day. We have over 30,000 miles on the coach in 20 months and will put another 4,000 on before the end of the year, so we use the coach a lot.

For those who are interested, I found Diamond Shield relatively easy to remove. A number of previous posts have appeared to show some interest in the topic.

John

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Diamond Shield Removal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS