Woodalls Open Roads Forum: How do I permanently stabilize my travel trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How do I permanently stabilize my travel trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dansblkonblkz06

Hiwassee, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new travel trailer that I want to permanently stabilize on my lot. I've heard that you should remove the tires so that they don't rot. How do I stabilze the trailer so that the tires can be removed? Do I simply put jacks on each axle?
Thanks

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago people put their trailers on cement blocks rather than using the trailer stabilizers but, years ago, trailers usually didn't have stabilizers.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

mainetom

Maine, near Augusta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think I would invest in some cement blocks, enough for one every 4 feet or so all the way around, not just at the corners. Use shims and level it to your satisfaction, then re-check it periodically, esp. after winter if heaving from freezing/thawing is an issue. Before doing that, though, I would lay down some kind of moisture barrier.

vanman250

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cement block with a piece of wood between the block and the frame. I know people that left the tires on and people that took them off and they all dry rotted.

vanman250

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your trailer should be put on concrete blocks just like a mobile home. I don't know the length of the trailer, but at least piers at the very front, before the axles, and then, depending on length, either a pier between the end of the rear and the axles or a pier just behind the axles and another at the very end of the frame. Also, depending on the length, a pier may be necessary between the very front and the axles. The tongue should not old any weight after the piers are holding the trailer. The axles likewise should not hold any weight, either. Use pressure treated wood between the top of the concrete block pier and frame and wooden wedges for the final adjustment. Use two wedges per pier one on top of the other so the frame rests on a flat surface. Hammer the wedges tight before releasing the jack(s) from the trailer.

tafische

Germantown, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to store it long term, I would think either way the tires are going to have to be replaced. If they are in good shape, see if you can sell them maybe? If it were me, I would leave them on because I would not want them taking up space somewhere else. Also - If you had a failure of your stabilizing system, you have less distance to fall.

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a TT on a permanent site and I used the built in stabilizers and 4 of these --> Screw top jacks.
I bought cement stepping stones to use as pads under the 8 jacks. They have worked well for 4 years. Adjustable for changes in the soil over time. BTW, I left the tires and wheels in place with most all the weight removed.

Housted

* This post was edited 10/29/09 02:15pm by Housted *

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD Tow Rig B&W Turnover with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch, Ground Control 4 Point Leveling System
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th
Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.
Pictures

Kwattro

Calgary, AB

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The moment I remove the wheels from my TT while it's on my lot, my TT's insurance becomes VOID. Will yours? Check the policy.

So long as the wheels are touching the ground it still classified as a recreational vehicle, that includes completely placing the trailer on blocks to remove all weight from the suspension, so long as the tires touch. Otherwise it becomes a fixed dwelling and must be insured as such.

Personally if you live anywhere there are freeze/thaw cycles I wouldn't hard block the trailer. Been there, done that. Add two stabilizers ahead of the wheels and some kind of anti-rock system between the tires and make level adjustments from time to time.

2007 Kingsport 286RLS 31' 6747 Dry 8900 Loaded
2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L - FOR SALE
2006 Ford F-350 SuperCrew FX4 6.0L

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May want to look into wind tie down straps too. Even construction trailers around here het those nowadays. Adds a lot of wind resistance capacity to a trailer.

SteveRankin

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to stabilize it permanently, I take that to mean over 5 years. By then the tires will need to be replaced anyway and taking them off or leaving them on won't make a difference.

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How do I permanently stabilize my travel trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS