Woodalls Open Roads Forum: 8 foot camper in a 6.5 foot box?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 8 foot camper in a 6.5 foot box?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
toad and the toadett

NW Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE currently pull a 27 foot non slide TT and are thinking of adding a truck camper to the stable. We have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD crewcab w/ 6.5 foot bed. Could we carry a pop up with an 8 foot floor if we didn't exceed the weight limit?
Thanks,
Toad

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are numerous campers that are designed for short bed trucks. Most of them are pop-ups but there are also a few hard sides that will fit within your limits. Check out Palmino and Sunlite for pop-ups or the Lance for hard side. There are others, these are just the ones I can think of which will get you started.

Photo Albums
2004.5 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad-Cab SRW CTD 6-spd, XD9000 winch
2004 Lance 815 (an upgrade from my prev 2005 35' fiver )
DW (homemaker), 1 DD w/BS in Civil Engineering (TDOT) and husband, 1 DD w/Associate in Accounting, 2 DFs (meow)

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be mindful of the center of gravity of a camper. It should rest on or just in front of the rear axle. Otherwise, the steering can get a little light.

RVn Full-time

adamboyd

BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can do anything you want. It will look ugly though and it might not be safe, depending on the centre of gravity.

Arcticfox1

Nashville

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a 9' Arctic Fox 811 on a Ford F250 short bed.

adamboyd wrote:

You can do anything you want. It will look ugly though and it might not be safe, depending on the centre of gravity.

How this for Ugly!!!!
I think she's purdy
AF1

racedrvr

Chicago Burbs/Kentucky Lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a problem at all. I have a Bigfoot on my Chev 2500HD. There are many hardside campers made for a shortbed truck. As with any truck camper/truck combo, weight will be a consideration. I looked at many different 8-9.5 foot campers designed for shortbed trucks. None of them had center of gravity issues, but many were at or above the trucks stated carrying capacity. This site is full of debates as to whether or not a little overloaded of the truck is a safety concern. Many on here do so with some minor truck suspension upgrades.

Chevy Silverado LT EC 3500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison. Torque Lift/Fastguns, Torklift superhitch,
Honda eu2000i & Companion

Puma Unleashed 351THSS + Bigfoot 25C 9.4

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's simple: Just look for a camper that says "designed for short (standard) bed trucks" or other similar language that indicates that the camper is designed for a 6.5' bed.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Oldtymeflyr

Littleton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacturer of the camper will usually tell where the center of gravity is, and of course this is an important number. If it isn't designed for a 6.5 foot box this number is very important.

A 6.5 foot box can hold a camper that is approximately 6.5 feet to realistically about 8 to 9 feet of floor.

when you say flat floor probably available, depends on the design of the camper, some have heated tanks in the floor that then put a step at the door.

The problem with some of the bigger 6.5 foot units is the weight, it does add up.

We have a 2500HD 6.5 box and an Outfitter Apex designed for a 6.5 foot box. We looked at a Host designed for a 6.5 box, two slides, lots of room, just too big, been there done that. There are lots of options out there.

Good Luck.

woodyt30

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Northstar 850sc that you can put on a long or short bed full size truck. And its a great camper too.

flaxi

Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Adventurer 810WS + 2500 Dodge Ram 2500 Shortbox, COG is in front of the rear axel. So, no problem ! ;-)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 8 foot camper in a 6.5 foot box?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS