Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Size of gas tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Size of gas tank?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
dshinnick

Mission Viejo, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all-

My brother just hit the road in a class C mounted on a 1988 Ford Econoline 350 chassis. Trouble is, the gas gauge doesn't work! So he's just going to estimate how often he needs to fill up, based on miles driven. He's not sure of the capacity of the gas tank on a chassis like this. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks-

dave

ChrisMorlan

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 83 has twin tanks which are supposedly 20 gals each. They appear to hold only 18 gals. Gauge only works on one of the two so I have to estimate as well. I get 9 mpg.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/09 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might better have some gas in that gas can stored in/on the MH.

Dusty

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an '88 E-350. It was a 22' Mallard. It had a 40 gal. tank.

Dusty

dshinnick

Mission Viejo, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I shall relay to him. Hopefully my call won't find him walking along the highway carrying a gas can!

thanks-

dave

benjimike2

el paso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/09 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 88 E350 as well. We wondered the same.....

Just took a very long road trip cross country. We averaged 6.5 mpg, filled up when the gauge supposedly read 1/4th. We had traveled appr 125 miles between fill ups. The average fill up was between 18 and 22 gallons. We did have a 5 gal can with us.

The DH is going to pull the tank this winter to determine exactly how much it holds.

GrumpyandGrandma

CIncinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/09 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take the VIN # to a dealer parts dept. they should be able to tell you what size the tank is. That info should still be in their data base.

Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

xsmokeyb

Ellensburg, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/09 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 89 E-350 chassis class C has a 40 gal tank mounted between the frame rails behind the axle.

William R. moran

Foggy

Kalamazoo Mi. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/09 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot remember the volume of the gas tank on my '88. I dropped the tank and repaired the gauge when it failed. I found that the float had several pin holes in it and could not be replaced without buying the entire gauge assembly. I made it work with a plastic float from a newer gauge. When I was finished the gauge read about 1/8 low, which is better than reading hi.
p.s. It is much easier to remove the tank when it is empty.

Happy-Trails
Foggy

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would fix the gas gauge. However, until then ... here's what I would do.

Fill up the gas tank. I'd also fill up a 2-5 gal. gas can and take it along with me. Before driving, I'd set the RV's trip odometer to "zero".

I would drive until I ran out of gas ... preferably driving in an area or on roads where there were plenty of gas stations. I'd make note of how many miles I had travelled on the original full tank.

I'd then top up the tank using the gas in the spare can and drive to the nearest gas station and fill up again. I'd take note of how much fuel it took to fill up again and add that amount to the amount I used from the gas can.

Now I would know my total gas tank capacity, the approximate mileage range I can travel on one tank of fuel and I can calculate my MPG.

On our rig, I know I can drive for about four hours steady on the highway at about 60 mph. for an approximate range of 400 kms. (250 miles) on a full tank of gas.

Using my functioning gas guage, I also know that each 1/8 of a tank demarkation means about a half hour of driving time and about 50 kms. (35 miles) of distance traveled.

Although an approximation, I pay close attention to the trip odometer and have never run out of fuel. (came close a couple of times though!) I also know that wind, road and elevation affect my total mileage range and i adjust my "gas stops" accordingly.

BTW - we look for a gas station once we travel 350 kms./or when we reach the 1/8 mark on the gas gauge. Works everytime. ~ bugjr ~

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Size of gas tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS