Woodalls Open Roads Forum: need TT GVWR @ 5000 to sleep 6
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> need TT GVWR @ 5000 to sleep 6

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kbfbn3ks

none

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have to stay around a loaded weight of 5000# with our 08 Aspen. Most of the time will have 3 adults and 3 kids, 1 small dog. We have been exhaustively searching for the 'perfect' TT, but are coming up short.

We would like tos tay away from hybrids and get a traditional TT, ultra lite, of course. The best we have found is a Rockwood 2306 with GVWR of around 4500, but afraid that may not be enough room for our gang. There are a bunch of other TTs that have around 3000 'dry' weights, but their GVWR are well above the 5000, for example the the Trail Cruiser TC24RSC has dry weight of 4065, but GVWR is 5993.

So, this is where we are right now, and feeling like we may have to give up on this venture, unfortunately Getting a new TV is not in the cards right now as we have only had this Aspen for 6 months or so and really do not want to go bigger for gas charges.

If any suggestions on TTs would greatly appreciate it!

The fact that we initially looked at 29-30 footers BEFORE we educated ourselves on weights and such, has probably swayed our opinions

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very tall order..for 6 people and pets...lots of gear involved with 6 people.
You might have to reconsider and consider a hybrid or a pop-up.
You and your family can have a great time in either.(we did) and you will have a better chance of a comfortable and safe towing experience with your Aspen.
Probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck with your search and hopefully others will have a better solution.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Drippin

Dripping Springs, TX - just West of Weird

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 people in that Rockwood 2306 will be very cramped. You will not all even have a place to sit at the same time without using the bed. Given your weight limitation of 5K I think you will be very hard pressed to find a comfortable TT that will handle 6 people.

We used to have a HTT, a Starcraft TravelStar 21SB, with 3 beds a dinette, couch and a full bath. GVW was 5K. It was a very nice package that provided comfortable sleeping areas and resonable sitting area. The HTTs can be a bit limited on storage. But they are a reasonable alternative.

Don't be temped to buy a trailer that will be more than your TV can handle. It will make for a miserable towing experience. You will then wnat to upgrade the TV. Once you do have the capability to pull a larger trailer you will then realize that you compromised on you comfort in the TT and will want to trade that up as well.

Given your desire to keep the Aspen and the number of people you are taking camping I would suggest that you take another look at the Hybrids and possibly the Pop ups.

Good luck in your search.

2008 Laredo 284BHS, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 6.7CTD, Equal-i-zer, P3, Subaru RG4300iS

seabeecamper

Fl/New York

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at 5,000 lbs. I don't kknow the weight specifics of you tv but the Sunntbrook Edgewater 270bhe may be in your range 4,830lbs dry weight and 676 lbs tongue weight (may be too much for the Aspen). But like the previous poster says alot of gear and six people may put you over the top. I would look at a used hybrid. Look at used that way when you get ready for a new tv you will not lose your rear end upgrading your tt. Alot of the htt have more room than the average tt. good luck in your search.

* This post was edited 11/12/09 08:04am by seabeecamper *

2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD "The Beehive"
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab

U.S.N Seabee "Can Do"
NMCB-1
NMCB-7
NMCB-14

happybooker1

Magnolia Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to rethink the 'no Pop ups or Hybrids'. At least you lose some weight having canvas instead of all metal enclosures.

I have a 17' Hybrid that weighs 3500#. The Shamrock 183 has three fold-out beds and is less than 5000#. Also check out the Wildwood X-Lite series by Forest River.

2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/09 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you did not get the Hemi or tow package with your Aspen. I have a Durango (twin to Aspen) with Hemi and tow package. Its tow capacity is 8900#. I tow a 7000 GVWR TT with ease. What engine and tow package do you have. My TT is 4500 # dry weight and sleeps ten. If you pack very light, it may fit your bill, but you will need a Hensley or ProPride with the Aspeen as your hitch, with only a wheelbase of 119 inches, unless you stay under 21-22 feet. I am selling my TT, because I have upgraded to a Super C

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds to me as though your situation is just MADE for a hybrid. Light weight yet roomy and suitable for a marginal tow vehicle. What is the problem with going that route? Very few options for a traditional travel trailer that sleeps that many and is still light enough to fit under a very restricted weight limit. If you DO find one it'll likely not be adequate for much of anything EXCEPT sleeping for that many people.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

aeohio

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/09 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at the HTT if I was in your situation. pup's can be tight with 6 people, esp on a rainy day. Thus why we upgraded as we have 6. I think if you may be missing out by not considering the HTT. You will be able to get a larger trailer that weighs less and thus you will be more comfortable. A TT that sleeps 6 and weighs less the 5000lb loaded is going to be touch to find.

Good luck

Andy

2010 Passport UL 290BH
2006 Ford Expedition Limited

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a #5000 GVWR TT and it's comfortable for 2 people.... We can sit 4 at the dinette, but it's cozy! When I was a kid, our family had a 26' and at least #6000 TT that had 4 bunks in the rear and the front dinette could sleep 2. If you wanted to squeeze a small person in the upper bunk, that was possible.... But, it was a pretty large trailer and built in 1976, so not very many modern amedities... (At the time, it was a 5 star hotel to us!!).

Keep looking... Something will 'pop up' or 'pop out' for you! wink, wink..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/09 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you are greatly limiting yourself because of tow vehicle.

With that said, I think your best bet would be a trailmanor.

( not advocating) just your best bet because of vehicle and
number of people.

gerry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> need TT GVWR @ 5000 to sleep 6
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts