Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: kerosine heaters

Posted By: midnightsadie on 11/27/09 03:28pm

when boonedocking anybody ever use a kerosine heater , IN THE RV?? just curious.

Posted By: craziecritter on 11/27/09 04:24pm

I don't think I WOULD EVER USE A KEROSENE heater in an RV. That's just my opinion. I would use oil filled electric. To me there is just not free flowing oxygen for it.

Sharon, Tom with
Jack (Rat Terrier) and Benji (Yorkie) at our side

2000 Gulfstream Innsbruck 24' TT
1998 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8 with Extra Towing Package
Prodigy Brake
Suzie our Garmin Nuvi 650

Posted By: skipnchar on 11/27/09 04:49pm

It would not only be DANGEROUS, because the heater would be burning the air that you may want to breath (leaving a window or vent open can help prevent this problem) but every Kerosene heater I've ever seen was a real stinky way to heat. I'll just use the RV furnace and avoid BOTH problems. Good luck / skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: Dusty R on 11/27/09 05:24pm

I don't care what is claimed or said using any type of unvented heating appliance in an enclosed living area is NOT a good idea.

Dusty

Posted By: Chrisatthebeach on 11/27/09 05:35pm

I think the anyone that did is dead and cannot answer here. We had one at home that we had for emergency power outages and eventually used it in the basement. It did okay but was somewhat smelly and really stunk up everything when it ran out of fuel or was shut off. I used a very thick leather glove and toted it outside the basement to shut it off for re-fueling. I gave it away years ago and put in propane back up heat at the stick house, no way I would use one in the RV.
Chris

Chris & Dianne plus two boys, both of them are Eagle Scouts.
Jayco Designer 3110
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 11/27/09 06:15pm

Way too many better options than the risk and smell of Kerosene

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: Maintcpo on 11/27/09 06:23pm

Some Countries (Japan) still use kerosene for heating of there houses. a couple of tours of duty in Japan we used kerosene to heat our houses off base. The only problems i see really is to find a small enough one for only heating the trailer. Most heat up a larger area or will cook you out rather quickly. They will most likely run out of fuel in the middle of the night, causing the smell as discussed and a general lack of heat for the rest of the night. All newer ones have tip kill switches on them which will minimize the fire possibility. But you do have to keep a vent open for exhaust and will have the smell and soot in the RV. Just 2 cents worth!

Dan, Ret Navy CPO
Minnie The Wife Extraordinare
Chris Our Son the Genius
2 Fur Kids
2005 Jazz 2550RL 5er
2003 Dodge Quad Cab Long Bed Cummins 6 shooter

Posted By: joe b. on 11/27/09 08:47pm

There are two types of kerosene heaters, vented and non-vented. I agree that the non-vented ones are not safe and put off an unacceptable smell in a closed space. However the vented kerosene/diesel heaters work very well. Some what costly but the OP didn't mention cost as being a consideration.
For several years I used a pair of kerosene heaters in our home in Alaska and they worked great. Only draw back was that they did take 120v elec to operate them, the fans, one to exhaust the burnt gases outside and one fan to circulate the heated air inside. The brand was either Monitor by Kerosun or visa versa.
Many of the high end motorhomes use diesel heaters, Aqua Hot and Hydro Hot come to mind. These are vented heaters to the outside.
I have also used kerosene/diesel heaters in boats. Think the brand was Espar (sp)which worked off of 12v as I remember. They too were vented to the outside through a 2 in stainless steel pipe through the cabin roof.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 11/27/09 08:55pm

Hi,

I had a kerosene heater that I would use to heat the garage at home, but only when there is plenty of ventilation. It makes to much carbon monoxide to use inside a RV, but if you are sitting around a campfire, then it is OK.

For indoor use, I can highly recommend the Olympic brand Catalytic Safety heater, because of the platinum coating, there is very little carbon monoxide from burning the propane, and it extremely quiet. You still need to have a roof vent open, and an open window (about 1/2").

Good Luck,

Fred.

Posted By: MUDDYMESS on 11/27/09 10:33pm

no way. even with a window cracked slightly. i used one to heat an enclosed trailer i was sleeping in several years ago and ended up extremely sick for the next day. light headed and laying on the ground, 'talking to ralph'. almost as if i was poisened. never again!!!!!!!!!!!!

the stink and fumes from the heater were also unbearable.

i went to using a propane catalytic heater and so far they have worked well in everything, campers, trailers etc.

http://www.idahoturbodiesels.com/ for Idaho events.

97 CUMMINS 12valve flatbed dually 386/837 and 8.5 S & S

Posted By: BlackiceLSC on 11/27/09 10:56pm

when we were kids, my Dad had a 1978 VW Van...an air-cooled engine does not have a HEATER! It had filtered air from the warm engine compartment, but that was NO heater...not in the east coast of Canada on long road/ski trips.

So, although I am sure he knew better, my Dad put a portable kerosene heater in the van with us during these long trips...

after those days(now I am old enough to know we were lucky to survive), I would NEVER use a kerosene heater in a vehicle, even when parked. a RV can be a coffin if you allow it to be.

Kerosene heaters;
stink
are unsafe
my friends might even tell you it causes drain bammage(brain damage) lol
are a flame connected to a flammable fuel source
bulky
require refilling from a liquid form(not a gas)

and...you will have to bring kerosene with you and refill it, which is NOT fun.

a LP portable heater as a back-up if your furnace fails, is ok because you can buy sealed cans of propane. I am trying to sort of a non-op furnace in my 84 Class C right now, so I'll be buying a portable LP heater to take the chill off, but NEVER kerosene.

Posted By: Dakzuki on 11/28/09 02:44am

BlackiceLSC wrote:

when we were kids, my Dad had a 1978 VW Van...an air-cooled engine does not have a HEATER! It had filtered air from the warm engine compartment, but that was NO heater...not in the east coast of Canada on long road/ski trips.

So, although I am sure he knew better, my Dad put a portable kerosene heater in the van with us during these long trips...

after those days(now I am old enough to know we were lucky to survive), I would NEVER use a kerosene heater in a vehicle, even when parked. a RV can be a coffin if you allow it to be.

Kerosene heaters;
stink
are unsafe
my friends might even tell you it causes drain bammage(brain damage) lol
are a flame connected to a flammable fuel source
bulky
require refilling from a liquid form(not a gas)

and...you will have to bring kerosene with you and refill it, which is NOT fun.

a LP portable heater as a back-up if your furnace fails, is ok because you can buy sealed cans of propane. I am trying to sort of a non-op furnace in my 84 Class C right now, so I'll be buying a portable LP heater to take the chill off, but NEVER kerosene.

Hate to tell ya Blackice but that VW heater air was not filtered. It is blown over the exhaust by the engine cooling fan. When you looked at the fan on the back of the motor, that was the filter.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 11/28/09 05:27am

Dakzuki wrote:

Hate to tell ya Blackice but that VW heater air was not filtered. It is blown over the exhaust by the engine cooling fan. When you looked at the fan on the back of the motor, that was the filter.

my corvair had a similar high tech heater. when the 80 ft long serpentine belt on the motor would break, the ductwork would get hot, oil/grease on the walls would vaporize, and huge clouds of smoke would pour out into the cabin. Once when this happened I immediately pulled into a gas station, got out with smoke pouring out of the open doors. fella from the station came running out with a fire extinguisher thinking it was on fire.

bumpy

Posted By: garyhaupt on 11/28/09 08:17am

I had a VW and it had a gas heater in it...that was far more dangerous than the kerosene heater I used. I always had a window..two actually..open and would winter camp in the mountains. Then, there weren't the options that there are now. My last VW I used a wee little Coleman propane heater.

I digress...I think that used wisely...a heat source is just that...heat. I wouldn't recommend buying one for an RV...but...it can be used safely.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Posted By: crawford on 11/28/09 11:33am

I think most people agree on this post this is not safe and you most of the time you don't get a do over once you screw up even if you can why would you want that smell in the camper its like smoking once it's in your home you know it there all the time but then smokers don't seem to smell it I guess I better quite

Print  |  Close