Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Samson tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Samson tires?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have an opinion about Samson tires? They are made in China, but I can get a set of six installed for $850. I can get a set of 6 Firestone's installed for $950. Both are G rated.

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap price= cheap tire. No Samson tire posts.

clydedoerr

Hardeeville SC

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember you get what you pay for. One blow out will cost you a lot of bucks to fix the damage. I dont think I would want either brand.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you mean, "No Samson tire posts"?

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is ONE person I know of on here that will proudly proclaim that he runs Samson Load Range G tires, albeit in LT 235/85R16 on his, Class-C. I expect that he will weigh in once he sees this post.

I would like to know specifically which Samson tires, and Firestone tires, in what size and from what source, you are considering for your rig? Are they made for drive tires, or for trailer use as is the case with many 16" load range G tires. 16" Load range G tires are designed for rims rated at 110 psi which I doubt are mounted on your rig. There is also the issue of dual clearance if you go with the wider tires. (On edit: I just noted from a previous post that your rig is on an E-350 Chassis. How long is it? Have you had it weighed? ...as I can't imagine needing Load Range G tires on a chassis that will not come close to supporting the loads that would require Load Range G?)

In regard to "Samson" tires, and as is the case with many Asian manufacturers, they have changed their primary name and realigned their "brands" once again and for the most part they are now primarily being distributed under the "Radar" name among others. After all, how many Americans will proudly run around with "Chao-Yang" tires on their motorhome. The parent company is Omni-United and as a "contract manufacturer" they will basically stamp just about any name a distributor wants on their tires.

They are an "Asian/Pacific" manufacturer, based in Singapore, with plants in Shanghai, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, and the Philippines. As a "brand name" Samson tires originated with the Samson Tire and Rubber Company, which was bought by Uniroyal, and which once occupied the historical "Citadel" plant in Compton, CA. Of course, other than their use of the "Samson" name, there is now no US connection other than distribution.

Steve Tamietti former COO of East Bay Tire Co. in Fairfield, Calif.
is the President of their North American Operations. Coincidentally, both East Bay Tire and Omni-United's west coast Operations are based in Fairfield...so draw your own conclusions. In 2007 Omni United said it plans to double its business in North America though distribution still seems rather limited to me.

As for me, no Chinese tires on my rig thank you. Not just because of their country or origin, but because of their limited distribution network and patchy availability. If you have a tire failure in "Small Town, USA", good luck finding a warranty replacement.

* This post was edited 12/01/09 01:59pm by AstroRig57 *

2005 31' Coachmen Freelander 3150SS, Stargazer II - Mobile Astronomy Unit
Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

What do you mean, "No Samson tire posts"?
A search of the forum reveals no existing posts on Samson tires.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would like to know specifically which Samson tires, and Firestone tires, in what size and from what source, you are considering for your rig? Are they made for drive tires, or for trailer use as is the case with many 16" load range G tires. 16" Load range G tires are designed for rims rated at 110 psi which I doubt are mounted on your rig. There is also the issue of dual clearance if you go with the wider tires. (On edit: I just noted from a previous post that your rig is on an E-350 Chassis. How long is it? Have you had it weighed? ...as I can't imagine needing Load Range G tires on a chassis that will not come close to supporting the loads that would require Load Range G?)

My RV is a 1990 Winnebago Warrior on a Ford Econoline chassis.

Per the owner's manual and door tag, the recommended tire for my RV is 215x85R16D. This is what is on the rear tires of my RV, but the front tires are 225/75R16. Both the front and rear tires are D rated.

I called up the local RV shop (Madison RV Supercenter) and they directed me to Top Line Tires here in Huntsville. I told them what was recommended and they said that in 215x85R16 they had Firestone "Transforce HT" G rated for $950 installed, and Samson "AR110" G rated for $850 installed.

Looking on the web, it looks like Firestone Transforce HT in 215X85R16 are E rated, not G. I can't find much information on the Samson tires.

Quote:

After all, how many Americans will proudly run around with "Chao-Yang" tires on their motorhome.

I guess I'm not a slave to fashion, I don't really care who's name is on my tires, clothes, etc.

Quote:

Steve Tamietti former COO of East Bay Tire Co. in Fairfield, Calif. is the President of their North American Operations. Coincidentally, both East Bay Tire and Omni-United's west coast Operations are based in Fairfield...so draw your own conclusions.

OK, I re-read this several times - what conclusion should I be drawing from this?

Quote:

As for me, no Chinese tires on my rig thank you. Not just because of their country or origin, but because of their limited distribution network and patchy availability. If you have a tire failure in "Small Town, USA", good luck finding a warranty replacement.

This is a good point, but if I had a tire failure, I expect I'd call Good Sam to come put on my spare, and take the failed tire home with me to the people who sold it to me for warranty issues.

Steve

* This post was edited 12/01/09 02:36pm by maillemaker *

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

don't really care who's name is on my tires, clothes, etc. ....take the failed tire home with me to the people who sold it to me for warranty issues.
Your comments seem to indicate you like cheap. A quality tire that's less likely to fail is going to cost more. What to do after a failure is not something I even want to think about.

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

Looking on the web, it looks like Firestone Transforce HT in 215X85R16 are E rated, not G. I can't find much information on the Samson tires.

That about says it all doesn't it? You can't find much information on the Samson tires...nor can anyone else. This about the most complete information you will find anywhere...and the specs aren't even available. East Bay - Samson

maillemaker wrote:

Per the owner's manual and door tag, the recommended tire for my RV is 215x85R16D. This is what is on the rear tires of my RV, but the front tires are 225/75R16. Both the front and rear tires are D rated.

....they directed me to Top Line Tires here in Huntsville. I told them what was recommended and they said that in 215x85R16 they had Firestone "Transforce HT" G rated for $950 installed, and Samson "AR110" G rated for $850 installed.

The previous owner was running the specified tire on the rear to maintain the proper Dual Clearance (space between the duals). I've no idea why he would run the Load Range E, 225/16 tires on the front other than availability or if he felt the rig was front heavy (usually unlikely).

Making the leap from Load Range D, to Load Range G, is a little extreme...expecially on your chassis. What tire pressure is noted on your door tag for the Load Range Ds? What tire pressure are your rims rated for?...if the tire shop can't tell you, I'd find one who can. My take on this is that they want to sell you what they have, rather than what you need and, if it were me, I'd find someone else.

maillemaker wrote:

I guess I'm not a slave to fashion, I don't really care who's name is on my tires, clothes, etc.

Sorry if you took this wrong, but it has nothing to do with fashion, but rather everything to do with reliability, serviceability, after sale support, and supporting domestic industry. If that doesn't matter to you...to each his own.

My comment in regard to the relationship between East Bay Tire and Omni-United was only to imply that their US operations would seem to be one and the same. East Bay is a distributor, their former COO is Director of North American Operations for Omni, and they share facilities. Not important, but I found it to be interesting. From a consumer standpoint, perhaps it bodes well for future support of Omni-United tire products.

maillemaker wrote:

...if I had a tire failure, I expect I'd call Good Sam to come put on my spare, and take the failed tire home with me to the people who sold it to me for warranty issues.

So you intend to haul a spare? I do, but many don't. What size spare...and it will it be the same as the other tires? Is that budgeted into your quotes as noted above...or had you thought of that? Does your rig have a mount for a spare...as many don't? Where do you intend to haul a failed tire...for how far...and will you therefor continue on your trip with no spare? As for Sampson, and as you've noted you can't find much information on them, who do you expect to contact if your dealer denies warranty based on alleged inflation, loading, or other abuse issues. What kind of support do you expect?

Given the choices you've been offered by your apparently local dealer, I'd go with the Firestones...though I'd probably look at other dealers and options. BTW, though not from the US, the Transforce HT in that size is from Japan...which IMHO is much more desirable than China.

Tire Rack - Transforce HT Specs

BTW, and for reference, here's all the tires that Tire Rack notes in 215/85R16. You can further change your required specs in the column on the left. I'm not endorsing Tire Rack...they just have a great online search function for reference.

Tire Rack - 215/85R16

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would not go with a LR G tire for an E-250, I would go with no more than a LR E.

LR G is designed for far more weight than your rig will ever have and will not perform correctly for you.

Assuming no axle end is overweight, you really should go with the tire size and rating on your door panel label.

Now for my personal opinion: For motorhomes, tires are one of the most critical safety components - and the one over which you have the most control, pretty much (not counting using seat belts or driving at excessive speeds, I suppose). This is not the place to cut corners. There are many. many stories of blown REV tires resulting in a lot of expensive damage, and it is, for the most part, fully preventable by good tire selection, running at proper weights and keeping tires properly inflated.

* This post was edited 12/01/09 03:52pm by Westronics *

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Samson tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS