Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Anyone towing a BMW?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anyone towing a BMW?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/10 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

REMCO says its OK to tow any stick shift BMW.

Actually REMCO says any 5speed manual is ok to tow 4 down, 6 speed manual and all auto's need to be trailered!

I have a 99 323i 5 speed vert I am towing. Original plan was 4 down until found out nobody makes a plate for it and to have one custom done was $700-800 locally! Just bought a used dolly this week for $600 with surge brakes! My son rented a dolly for us this summer and we pulled the car through central CA and up to Yosemite and back with no problem.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/10 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you could go to a good machine shop and have a competent tool maker build one for you. Discuss it with him and what you expect to need and your requirements. Betting that he will build whatever you need. I had this done on a Tracker we owned a few years back. Towed that thing all over the country and it is still going with another owner.

shuffster

McCall, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/10 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you can. I have pulled my E39 528i for 30,000 miles over 3 years. It is a manual, and requires a custom tow bar.

2006 Itasca Meridian 36G

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/09 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Healeyman wrote:

Texasbaskets,

When I wanted to tow a Miata, I ran into the same run-around and nay-sayers. I just grabbed the bull by the horns and built my own tow bar and baseplate and have used it to pull my Miata over 25,000 miles.

I'm in Carrollton and would be glad to take a look at your Beemer to see what you'd run into and/or I can fix you up with a good friend, a degreed engineer with a mill, lathe, and big welder who would undoubtedly be glad to help you.

My Email is at the bottom of my tow-bar page linked above.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I may take you up on your offer when the time comes.

Hope you are enjoying the snow.

Merry Christmas.

Michael, Kay, and Prissy (The vicious 6 pound Malti-Poo)
'05 Coachmen SportsCoach SE 372DS a.k.a. "Mana's Cabana"

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/09 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to tow a MINI Clubman, now tow a BMW X5. We were able to flat tow the MINI, but since the X5 is AWD, we have to tow it on a trailer.

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2011 Ford Ranger
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

randco

Somewhere in time

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/09 04:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, the Remco site says, "No formal testing..no known problems towing a manual transmission BMW. Custom baseplate required."

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/09 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

texasbaskets wrote:

I would expect BMW to be conservative in their recommendation, but this Z3 manual shows one being towed with the front wheels in the air and the standard transmission in neutral. Tell me how this differs from towing it flat except for the method to pull it.

It's not any different from four down, except that your manual mentions towing with the front wheels up for emergencies only, with a limiting speed of 45 mph and a distance limit of 95 miles, neither of which are very practical for recreational towing. If you have anecdotal evidence that the car can be towed, I'd go for it, especially if it's no longer under warranty.

As far as finding a baseplate goes, you have probably already searched the main manufacturers and come up with nothing. I suppose the only alternative is a custom fabrication. The cost of that I think would make a lightweight aluminum car trailer look pretty attractive.

Keep us filled in, I really like those little BMW Zs, perfect for my next midlife crisis. And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Check the link in my previous post. I did manage to find two Blue Ox baseplates for the 3 Series but newer than what I'm looking for. These plates weren't in the search list on their website nor did they come up in about 4 hours of Google searches before I started this post. They are model numbers BX1300 and BX1302. I looked at the installation guides and they are very similar. Notice that Blue Ox uses the front bumper attachment points and some plates on the box next to it, pretty simple. Blue Ox also sells the adapters to make your own bar so a welding shop should be able to make up the basic frame from a technical drawing.

One of the posts I read was about a guy who was seen pulling a Z3 convertible so keep your hopes up. Cutting through the front facia on the Z3 could be a little tricky... lol.

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/09 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

REMCO says its OK to tow any stick shift BMW.

Thaaaaaaaank you.

rustysylvia

None of your business!

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/09 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow either a 91 Alfa Romeo 164L or a 51 Ford pickup with no problem. On a trailer. Run it up there, lash it down and GO!

Healeyman

Carrollton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/09 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texasbaskets,

When I wanted to tow a Miata, I ran into the same run-around and nay-sayers. I just grabbed the bull by the horns and built my own tow bar and baseplate and have used it to pull my Miata over 25,000 miles.

I'm in Carrollton and would be glad to take a look at your Beemer to see what you'd run into and/or I can fix you up with a good friend, a degreed engineer with a mill, lathe, and big welder who would undoubtedly be glad to help you.

My Email is at the bottom of my tow-bar page linked above.

Tim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anyone towing a BMW?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS