Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chip and Dodge truck problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chip and Dodge truck problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/10 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

Just for the record, I had RV275 injectors AND an Edge EZ box on my 2002 and had no transmissions issues at all. I had a box or programmer on it for the 3 years I owned it and never had a trans issue at all.

I did service the 47RE regularly, and get the bands adjusted. Tranny shop told me it was in good shape.

I saw the new owner in a store one day, and he said it now had 170,000 Km on it (110,000 miles) and the only work he had done to it was to replace the exhaust manifold due to a botched EGT probe install. Trans still going strong. So, although they may not have the best rep, my 47RE was great.

I think part of the reason the 47RE has a bad rep is that the Cummins is so easy to turn up (cheap and easy) and the trans is not easy to mod, and is expensive to mod.

You are right on with the 47RE and the perception of it. My previous 03 Ram with the 47RE (owned now by my buddy as I've said many times) now has 105,000 miles on it and still shifts like new. He drives it loaded with plumbing equipment every day. No chips, or "downloaders". He still won't sell it back to me, but promises me first dibs when he does decide to sell.

I truly believe like you, that the majority of the 47RE issues were from either overloading, or overpowering that transmission by adding chips. Kept stock, maintained, and load kept at or under the factory max ratings are the key to the 47RE's longevity. In your case, I'm sure you were careful with the added power of your mods, and your strict maintenance helped as well.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/10 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow so much mis-information in here.

The 48RE is more than adequate for a stock truck. Take care of the tranny and it will take care of you.

The 48RE can handle a 40HP increase all day long, even towing. Where you run into trouble is if you hot rod around all the time like a High School kid who just got their license.

The Smarty does not turn off the TQ management. Default is the same TQ management. You can tweak the TQ management to your liking though. Make sure you have the mods to support it.

Smarty Jr. does not raise the rail pressure at all. Timing and duration only. Smarty SR. can change the rail pressure, but you have to tell it to do so seperate from the SW programs.

The TC is the first weak link in the 48re. Raising the line pressures in the valve body can ruin the converter just as quickly as not raising them. The added pressures can warp the TC disk and cause high spots causing premature failure. You should always do a VB and a TC at the same time.

* This post was edited 02/01/10 01:06pm by NavyDood *

- Retired Navy Chief
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter
- 06 Pilgrim 30RE2SLF-5 13,300lbs loaded. B&W Companion

jthorpe

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buc1980 wrote:

Anybody install a chip on theirs Dodge truck and after that it start to have problems with the truck? I have a 2003 2500 Dodge with Smarty jr. chip .Anybody install a chip and are very happy with it?

More Information then you could process in weeks about this subject here:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/

MANY people have had great luck with chips and programmers, IF you do it the right way.

clutch1

North Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/10 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 47RE with a good shift kit and regular servicing can take an extra 30 to 50 hp and not have any problems. My old truck had an Edge EZ box and I had no issues. (Over 100K) If you add power to a truck you need to dyno it and see what is actually happening. The EZ box added 34hp but the torque went from 385 to 485 ft lbs. The 47RE is only good to around 500ft. lbs. The 48RE will take a little more.

Disconnect the box and disconnect the batteries and then turn the key on to discharge the system and then see if the problem returns. Smarty Jr. has a good reputation.

2007.5 Dodge 4x4 with 6.7, 6sp auto,Jake brake, pyro, tranny temp, fuel pressure gauges, DeeZee running boards, bed rails, Rhino liner, Husky WD hitch, Mag-Hytech tranny pan, Optima batteries. 2011 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chip and Dodge truck problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS