Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2003 Yukon XL Power Door Locks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2003 Yukon XL Power Door Locks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/10 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a general repair question, but I thought maybe someone here may have encountered this problem.

My dad has a 2003 Yukon XL 1500 that has some funky acting door locks. All 5 doors will lock with either the key FOB or the manual lock switch on the door panel (driver or passenger side). What WON'T happen is unlocking. The driver and passenger side doors WILL unlock with either the remote or the switch, but the back two doors or the hatch will NOT unlock. If you manually unlock the back doors they will lock just fine with either the FOB or the switch.

I was working with it today and one time I got the back doors to unlock, but they never did again. I attempted to reset the Programmable Lock and Unlock settings thinking that maybe dad accidentally changed something. Unfortunately, none of those changes had any affect.

All the fuses are fine. At first I thought maybe it was a grounding problem but the rear hatch is the only door that has a ground connection that may be questionable.

In looking at the manual it shows there are separate relays under the dash for locking and unlocking actions. Is it possible the unlock relay is weak for some reason and can't send enough voltage to the rear unlock actuators to make them work? At this point, that's the only explanation I can think of to fix this problem. I'd like any input if this sounds reasonable or if there are other things I should at when troubleshooting this.

Thanks,
KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/10 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you may need to do a full reset on the door lock system. You could then start over with settings for doors.
Some need to have the system computer power removed to fully reset.
Some auto parts stores have a programmer rather then a code reader to change lock settings. They can also operate the door locks from the programmer for functional testing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/10 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I think you may need to do a full reset on the door lock system. You could then start over with settings for doors.
Some need to have the system computer power removed to fully reset.
Some auto parts stores have a programmer rather then a code reader to change lock settings. They can also operate the door locks from the programmer for functional testing.

Would that be as simple as disconnecting the battery or is there non-volatile memory that stores these settings that a battery disconnect will not clear?

I tried two methods of resetting the programmable lock functions. The manual said to pull back on the turn signal lever, then turn the key from lock to run twice. This put the system into reprogram mode and then I hit the lock button (or unlock) until I heard the correct # of dings that corresponded with the program mode I wanted.

When the key on/off method didn't work I think tried using the programming buttons on the steering wheel to do the same thing. Again, this didn't work either.

The strangest things is any change to the program made no difference in the ability of the rear doors to unlock. If I changed any of the LOCK functions, the doors responded properly. But nothing I changed for the UNLOCK features made any difference. This is kind of why I was wondering about the UNLOCK relay possibly being weak or faulty.

I have a buddy that has a code reader. I will ask him if his unit is capable of programming as well. Thanks for the tip.

KJ

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/10 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is only the rear doors, then QuietWater has a point about the child proof lock switch is activated. Check your owner's manual for this.
You could try reversing the two relays. That is putting the lock in the place of the unlock to see what happens. This doesn't sound like the problem as it is only the rear doors.
Disconnecting the computer lead next to the battery may reset the lock system.

rwynkoop

St. Louis MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/10 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the relays. I had the same problem on my 2003 1500 HD Crew. The dealer replaced the relays.

N2879 Relay Entry Control System, Qty:2 - Part# 15328867 Relay

2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

QuietWater

Kansas City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/10 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many Yukons come with childproof locks. Have you looked for a switch on the rear doors?

Daniel Miller
1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial
1982 Tioga Arrow Class C

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/10 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QuietWater wrote:

Many Yukons come with childproof locks. Have you looked for a switch on the rear doors?

Those are both in the unlocked position. What has me confused is the rear hatch door is doing it as well. I don't believe there are any child lock devices on that door.

enblethen wrote:

You could try reversing the two relays. That is putting the lock in the place of the unlock to see what happens. This doesn't sound like the problem as it is only the rear doors.

That's a good idea of swapping the relays to see if the problem follows the suspect unit.

rwynkoop wrote:

Replace the relays. I had the same problem on my 2003 1500 HD Crew. The dealer replaced the relays.

N2879 Relay Entry Control System, Qty:2 - Part# 15328867 Relay

Thanks for the part information on the relays.

KJ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2003 Yukon XL Power Door Locks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS