Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 4 Season Travel Trailer

Posted By: xranger on 02/04/10 12:18pm

I currently own a 21' Bigfoot trailer. Bigfoots are known as "4-season" trailers because they have: Thermopane windows, better-than-average foam insulation, enclosed tanks, ducted furnace system.

What other brands of travel trailers have similar features or are otherwise advertised as "4-season"?

The only other brand prominently mentioned in this forum is the Arctic Fox, but there must be others out there somewhere.

Bigfoot went out of business in 2008 and is currently under new ownership attempting to re-start. In the meantime, I am looking for whatever else is out there in the 4-season market. My trailer is nearing 10 years old and getting a little dated, though still in fairly good shape.

Posted By: johng17 on 02/04/10 12:23pm

Komfort, Nash.

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 02/04/10 01:39pm

The 5th wheel RV's are generally used for full timing more often than the TT's, so altho you can find extremely well insulated 5ers with dual pane windows...TT's are a bit harder to find with good insulation. (Comparison Example) Jayco's Designer Series 5th wheel has R-21 roof, R-24 Floor, R-9 walls and even R-15 in the slideout!

*Heartland TT has R-7 in roof, floor and walls.
**The Jayco Jay Feather TT has R-9 in the roof and floor, R-7 walls.
***The Nash TT by Northwood has R-18 roof, R-7 in walls and floor.
****Komfort RV TT has R-17 roof, R-18 floors and R-7 walls.

So the Nash/Artic Fox brand which many folks believe has the best insulation is actually beat by Komfort! And sometimes the optional "Arctic Package", "Polar Insulation" and "All Season Packages" are just extra cost hype!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: coolbreeze01 on 02/04/10 02:05pm

Boy, you got that info together quick......

While I was thinking about it, we had a 6.0 earthquake, 47 miles S/W of Eureka. No report of damage, hopefully none.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Posted By: SteveRankin on 02/04/10 02:24pm

Excel & New Horizon are two other premium lines of trailers that are true 4-season coaches. Of course, being premium coaches, they are expensive.

Most of the Canadian builders are either 4-season by nature or as an option. IMHO, the real advantage of the Canadian brands is that you can get a true 4-season coach without the weight of an Arctic Fox, Excel or New Horizon.

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

Posted By: miatared on 02/04/10 02:44pm

Canadian RV builders, just like many in the US, have had a rough ride.

Bonair - from Quebec is no more. Fleetwood had a plant near Lindsay, ON, gone. Remember the Boler, gone too.

There are only a few left and most in western Canada. Trailers and/or popups - not motorhomes (they're are a few more)

As far as I know, I can only think of 2, Escape and Big Foot (just back from the dead, let's wish them well - they do make a quality product)

Are there any other builders ?

Posted By: johng17 on 02/04/10 03:37pm

miatared wrote:

Canadian RV builders, just like many in the US, have had a rough ride.

Bonair - from Quebec is no more. Fleetwood had a plant near Lindsay, ON, gone. Remember the Boler, gone too.

There are only a few left and most in western Canada. Trailers and/or popups - not motorhomes (they're are a few more)

As far as I know, I can only think of 2, Escape and Big Foot (just back from the dead, let's wish them well - they do make a quality product)

Are there any other builders ?

Topaz by Triple E is another.

Posted By: skipnchar on 02/04/10 04:17pm

Take a look at Rockwood. Duel electric tank heaters (120 volt and 12 volt), heated mattress (not a pad) storm windows and LOTS of extra insulation in ceiling and floor. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: fullautodave on 02/04/10 07:07pm

The thing about "four season trailers", it depends on where you want to spend the winters and summers. We spend our winters in Wyoming or Montana and really need a good/expensive trailer. If you are like most people then you spend the winters south and the summers north and you don't need as much trailer.

2009 Mobile Suites TKSB3
2008 Ford F-450 Superduty
2009 Jeep Rubicon toad
1999 Bigfoot C1011FR

Posted By: jmtandem on 02/04/10 09:28pm

Airstream is probably the most popular full time travel trailer. I guess that makes it a four season trailer, even if all four seasons are following the sun.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Posted By: JD5150 on 02/04/10 11:05pm

Lance makes a 4 seasons TT. But I think you got one of the best 4 seasons TT out there. You can't beat a BigFoot TT, TC or MH. Especially their Clam Shell design for water intrusion(hard to leak with one seam. I read alot on the TC forum and read about how Artic Fox and Lance TC leak all the time. I don't no if their TT leaks but I here their TC leaks. Never really heard the BigFoot leaks. Sounds like you made the right choice. Hope you have some happy camping.

Posted By: happytrader59 on 02/04/10 05:08pm

Airstream ?

2008 Monaco Camelot 43', 2007 Jeep Wrangler

Posted By: Huntindog on 02/04/10 06:17pm

The Palomino Sabre. Although it doesn't offer dual pane windows.
I know it's good down to at least 20 degrees. That's the coldest we've been in so far.

Huntindog
2010 Palomino Sabre 30BHDS
TWO bathrooms...No waiting!
MICHELIN XPS RIBS LRE
2011 Silverado Big Dually 3500 4x4 CC D/A
EQUALIZER Hitch
100% BOONDOCKING
Check out Rusty and her pups at www.bluecollarbrittanys.com

Posted By: coolbreeze01 on 02/04/10 06:26pm

I checked out Rockwood: Roof R-14 Floor R-12 Wall R-7.
It appears there can be better R-Values in the roof and floor, but the walls seem to be R-7 in what I've seen so far. I think dual-pane windows should be included in a true 4-season unit.

Posted By: nevadanick on 02/05/10 06:48am

Its not 4 season but i've been in my KZ sportsmen at 12 below without problem. Heater runs alot though.

Posted By: beeser on 02/05/10 08:56am

miatared wrote:

Escape is not a 4-season trailer.

Posted By: bobbyg123 on 02/05/10 09:46am

My jayfeather ultralight sure as heck isn't a 4-season trailer, but we survived 2 weekends last fall where temps dropped to 14 degrees. We don't have tank heaters or an enclosed underbelly. I set the thermostat to 65, we wore some thicker clothing to bed, and dealt with it just fine. The water line that connects the fresh water tank to the pump froze (not solid though) and restricted our usage of the pump until mid-morning, but other than that everything else held up. I'm going to look into 12v heat strip options to prevent any water line freezing issues in the future.

2008 Jayfeather 29A
2007 Ford F-150 5.4L V8

Posted By: bradyk on 02/05/10 10:04am

Here is another I came across in my search for our future rv.
Open Range-
Four-Season Protection Package - up to R-38* Roof, R-38* Floor, R-9 Sidewalls - Included
(Standard Build)
•35,000 or 40,000 BTU Furnace.
•Vented attic
•Insulated bedroom floor
•Heated and enclosed dump valves
•Heated and enclosed holding tanks
•Heated pass-through storage
•Double insulated baggage doors
•FlexFoil™ insulation in floor and ceiling
•97% temperature reflective foil in slide floors
•Insulated water lines
•Heated exterior-access Convenience Center for utilities
•Digital thermostat
•Enclosed underbelly

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog
16 Foot Renken Fishing boat

Posted By: xranger on 02/09/10 04:30pm

Lots of good ideas out there - thanks to all that replied. To BradyK, your post sounds like the perfect winter RV, but does it actually exist?

After checking websites of the brands mentioned in this reply, I am starting to believe that my Bigfoot is as good or better than any of them. Since I am still not sure whether Bigfoots will ever be built again, I would like a backup plan. I expect the current trailer will last awhile even though it is getting a little dated.

I don't fulltime in winter weather, but I do go on late season hunting trips in Wyoming and Colorado. I love that I can use my plumbing in sub-zero temps and not freeze up.

Posted By: wbmoore on 12/28/10 06:49am

Yes, what BrandyK posted DOES exist....

http://www.openrangerv.com/

But I dont think my Suburban will haul it....

Posted By: sndman7 on 12/28/10 07:44pm

skipnchar wrote:

Take a look at Rockwood. Duel electric tank heaters (120 volt and 12 volt), heated mattress (not a pad) storm windows and LOTS of extra insulation in ceiling and floor. Good luck / Skip

How are the storm windows?

2006 Titanium 36E41 MPRV
2011 F350 DRW QC King Ranch

Posted By: sndman7 on 12/28/10 07:58pm

xranger wrote:

Lots of good ideas out there - thanks to all that replied. To BradyK, your post sounds like the perfect winter RV, but does it actually exist?

After checking websites of the brands mentioned in this reply, I am starting to believe that my Bigfoot is as good or better than any of them. Since I am still not sure whether Bigfoots will ever be built again, I would like a backup plan. I expect the current trailer will last awhile even though it is getting a little dated.

I don't fulltime in winter weather, but I do go on late season hunting trips in Wyoming and Colorado. I love that I can use my plumbing in sub-zero temps and not freeze up.

Its always cheaper to keeper, maybe an interior upgrade will do the trick.

Posted By: alaskanluvnit on 12/29/10 01:52pm

Depends on your version of 4 seasons. The best I have seen are the bigfoots and Arctic foxes, but I have used my Cougar TT up to -20 for a week. Can't use the plumbing at those temps but still stayed warm.

Posted By: rjsd1 on 12/29/10 05:51pm

Crossroad Cruiser can be had with R27 roof,R28 floor,and R15 walls.

2011 F350 XLT CC DRW 2wd
08 Crossroads Cruiser 30sk

Posted By: spadoctor on 12/29/10 07:12pm

Look at KZ Stoneridge and Escalade....both R38 ceiling and floor with R9 walls. Dual pane windows available...heated enclosed underbelly

Print  |  Close