Woodalls Open Roads Forum: difference between net 10 and straight talk phones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> difference between net 10 and straight talk phones

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What are the differences between net 10 and straight talk phones?

I understand they are both on the Verizon network. Does this mean they have the same coverage?

If I buy a pair of net 10 or straight talk phone in Minot and then try to use them in South Dakota will there be long distance charges?

Can either be tethered for use with the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

roadrunner16

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Net 10 charges .10 cents per minute anywhere you are, there is no long distance charges. We have used it for a year or two and are very happy with it.

DRSmart

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadrunner16 wrote:

Net 10 charges .10 cents per minute anywhere you are, there is no long distance charges. We have used it for a year or two and are very happy with it.

Like roadrunner16 says. Our first year using it and no problems yet. We bought a $30 model phone - comes with 300 minutes. Uses fifteen cents a minute for calls back to Canada. The biggest complaint I've read from other users is their customer service. Sorry I can't help regarding tethering but as far as coverage, I believe they use more than one network - AT&T and Verizon.

sodajerk

Dallas, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/10 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Net 10 is part of Tracfone. Have not used Net 10, but we have had Tracfone for several years with good results.

Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ST has no roaming!
ST uses only the Verizon network.

Net10 uses Verizon (and possibly Sprint), AT&T and T-Mobile networks and has roaming agreements with just about every tower owner/operator. Thus, I would conclude, if you want the very best coverage, go with Net10.

With Net10, the network your phone uses depends on the phone you select. The available phone selection is based on the zip code you enter after clicking "Buy Phones" on their web site ("please enter the ZIP code where you will use your NET10 phone the most"). Note that the zip code you enter can be any USA zip code - it does not have to be where you live. You can then determine the network you'll be using by looking at the address bar on your browser - look for "market=" in the address bar. Here are the market codes which indicate the network:

CO Market area= CDMA
GSM4 Market area= AT&T
GSM5 Market area = TMobile
GSM5AT Market area= TMobile with roaming to AT&T
COGSM4 Market area= CDMA & AT&T
COGSM5 Market area= CDMA & TMobile

Thus, if you have a preferred network you want to use, enter a zip code that will produce the desired market code.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi unbob,

So the Net 10 phones work on various networks--but they are not multiple mode phones...so there is not much advantage to their roam capability? Or they work on both sprint and verizon?

I hate all phone companies--I just want a phone that works reliably every where I would go in USA.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi unbob,

So the Net 10 phones work on various networks--but they are not multiple mode phones...so there is not much advantage to their roam capability? Or they work on both sprint and verizon?

I hate all phone companies--I just want a phone that works reliably every where I would go in USA.

Whether you get a CDMA or GSM phone from Net10 will depend on where you buy it. In Verizon service areas, Tracfone sells CDMA instruments. In AT&T service areas, they sell the GSM models. This is linked to the Zipcode of the selling retailer, just as service availability for a contract plan is linked to the Zipcode of your billing address.

If you buy where Verizon and AT&T service areas overlap, then you had better check out the phone model numbers before you buy.

I've had three generations of Tracfone: Analog + TDMA, CDMA (U.S. Cellular my primary carrier both cases) and GSM (SBC/AT&T the primary). What has been consistent, has been coverage as good or better the contract phone my wife has carried.

I've no direct experience with Tracfone's Net10 brand, as my usage is a better fit to Tracfone pricing, I need months more than I need minutes.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

cat7

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/10 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great question. My contract with Verizon ends this year and I didn't want to pay for data if I upgraded my phone, so have been looking in to no contract carriers.

I travel alone so need service all the time. I was looking into Tracfone and Net 10. So thanks for the info about the zip code, phones and services.

Carol
'06 PW Excel TS

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for info regarding trackfone and other pre-paids
read here

guide to tracfone, net 10, straight talk
Forum for prepaid phones

BTW, these phones do NOT tether and if you are caught trying to tether, they cancel your account all monies paid are forfeit

yes..apparently they monitor the system quite stringently looking for PC-data connections..

thats all I know about it.

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Piano

you started this same question in (2) threads in Dec, the answers haven't changed

there is NO prepaid cellphone network with PC tethering

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> difference between net 10 and straight talk phones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS