Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Big Water Tanks & Generators
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Big Water Tanks & Generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AZJIM1

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/10 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lots of Toy Haulers with fairly large water tanks and built-in generators. It seems like most Travel Trailers seem to have relatively small water tanks and lack built-in generators. Seems odd to me. Anybody know of any TTs with these features?

1999 Coleman Westlake that replaced STOLEN!!! 1987 Coleman Sequoia
2006 Honda Odyssey
Me, Wife, Daughter, Son
A Pack (Two) of Australian Shepherds
MY CAMPSITE, PLACES WE HAVE SEEN, CAMPER & MOD PICS HERE
and
MY CAMPSITES MAP HERE

reno82

Cardiff by the Sea, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/10 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know of any that have the 100 gal fresh tanks that many TH's have. It's really not that odd as having "toys" limits the campgrounds that you can park in and use your toys. Most TH's boondock and must be fully equipped for long stays with no hookups. I would bet the vast majority of TT owners stay in full hookup campsites, or at least sites with a dump station and water. The biggest I've seen on a TT is 50 gal fresh.

bobbyg123

Duvall, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/10 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think that TT manufacturers need to go crazy big with the fresh water tank, but there's no reason why they can't smarten up and offer higher gray, and to a lesser importance, higher black water tank capacities.

If it were me, I would standardize my trailer lineup to include fresh water tanks of 40G, gray water tanks of 60G, and black water tanks of 30G.

2008 Jayfeather 29A
2007 Ford F-150 5.4L V8

youroo

waynesville ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 03:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbyg123,I will second that! Youroo!

Tinbangertom

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our htt the grey tank only had a 40 gallon grey which was a pain, our new tt outback 310bhs has an 80 gallon, never had a problem with the black.

Tom
Laura
Boomer
Teddy Bear

nevadanick

Elko, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've wrote to a couple companies and asked why and got no responce. I also told them that if they built a TT with 100 gal capacity with built in Gen i would buy a new one today. I knew that i couldnt be the only one wanting one.

kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree 100% on having the larger tanks and built in Gen. Many of us haul the extra water in 5 gal tanks and a gen set anyhow, so what is wrong with wanting it built in for convenience? I hope to make my next purchase a toy hauler just because of this option. We have only had out TT in a campground with full hookups 2 times in the 7 years we have been doing this. Most of our camping is up in the hills away from the crowds. Would be nice to have extra water without hauling the 5 galloners. We also go out for 5 to 10 days at a time.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree with the need as well. I even added a big genset to my TT. Overall I don't believe there is much demand for large fresh tanks and big gensets in TT's. Most TT users are weekend warriors who head out for the weekend and return home. TT's seldom leave the grid. However toy haulers typically take their toys to the middle of no where and hang out. Toy Haulers are used in more remote locations and need to be more self contained.
Unfortunately the demand just isn't there for travel trailers to have these options. The trend has become lighter and smaller vs. larger,heavier and more equipped.

You can also find bigger tanks and gensets in fifth wheels as well. People tend to take longer trips in the larger fifth wheels. In general 5'ers have higher CCC and are able to carry more of everything including water and gensets.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I am really happy with my Bounder. It was made before the time when they started to require publishing the Cargo Carrying Capacity.

Now that manufactures have to fill the water and propane tanks to the brim, and then list the cargo rating, many manufactures are installing a smaller fresh water tank so they have a higher Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).

I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank, 59 gallon black tank, and 42 gallon gray tank. The 59 gallon black tank does not weigh more than a 30 gallon one, but I am sure glad that I have the larger tank.

I don't have to carry 800 pounds of water unless I am going to the desert to meet friends (who have toy haulers). When in the desert, many water the local bushes with the gray water, and take the black water back to town for proper disposal. I have camped for 3 weeks in one location, doing this, and bringing out more fresh water when going into town for food and such.

Also once while camped in Yosemite, and not able to dump the gray water, I can capture the dishwashing water and dump this into the black tank, as well as about 2/3 of the bath water into the tank. So I was happy that two of us can shower dialy in a National Park, and need to dump every 5-6 days.

I tend to agree that many manufactures figure that many of their trailers will camp in a campground. However they also realise that most toyhaulers are heading for the desert to dry camp for long weekends. So they come with generators and have enough cargo rating to carry 100 gallons with ease.

A friend has a triple axle Weekend Warrior that has a 120 gallon fresh water tank. Quite a difference from their class C with a 20 gallon fresh water tank, and the 3-4 tanks that hold 5 gallons each that they had to bring along to get one shower over the weekend for the 2 adults and 2 kids. Now each can shower daily and still have 40 gallons left at the end of a 5 day New Years trip.

I think that future RV's will have smaller fresh water tanks, because of the cargo ratings. It will not be until most buyers demand a larger fresh water tank that they will be installed. Toyhauler owners will walk away from a purchase if they can get another brand with a larger fresh water tank. Most other RV buyers will not walk away from a great deal because of small tanks.

Good Luck,

Fred.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our fifth wheel came with the 85 gallon fresh water and we opted for the built-in Onan genset...works for us as we do way more dry camping then being in an RV park...

You don't see too many 5er's with built-in gensets these days but that seems to be somewhat changing...have never seen the TT's with a built-in gensets that came from the manufacturers that way...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Big Water Tanks & Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Woodalls | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS