Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Starting your engine, while plugged into shore power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Starting your engine, while plugged into shore power

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Hurricaner

Hurricane Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you ask this question because of the concern of different charging systems connected to the batteries. You can have a hundred different charging systems connected to the battery and it won't hurt a thing. A charging source is really no different from adding another parallel battery, just a higher voltage. All charging sources have to be able to play with each other or there would be all sorts of conflicts on RVs.

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2004 34' Damon Challenger 315

dav5942

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Started many times with power connected only drove off once! Luckily the cord pulled straight out without any damage, didn't notice it until a car pullled up a a red light and said "whats that black thing behind you"? Went back to RV park-no damage on the pole. Robin Williams has nothin' on us!

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Fleetwood Southwind is gas, I start it often connected to SP.
No problems.

UltimaRV

On Break

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to love/hate the many voice warnings provided by our last coach, a Country Coach Concept. Shore power still connected was just one when the diesel was started; while bay door open another. I think there was another for low beer stock too.

Each coach is different. We need the diesel running for the hydraulic slide-out to operate. The coach also needs to be levelled first. It's rare, but if we happen to be an exposed coach in a powerful wind storm at 1am, then diesel on, slides in and apologies in the morning.

Dian, Robert & Precious (taking a break - see profile)
2000 45' Featherlite 5000, tag, slide, Detroit Series 60
2006 19' Towcorp enclosed trailer w/60" tongue
2004 13' Ultima GTR (9.9 seconds standing quarter mile)

riggarob

Farmington, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right you are! I was on the computer, when all of a sudden the wind changed direction from SW, to NW. The rains came down, and the winds turned gale force!The MH was actually shaking! I woke up my wife, and away we went, starting the eng. and pulling in the slides SLOWLY (didn't want any water inside). I remembered that I had forgotten to turn of the breaker at the post. The next day I found out that many other had to do the same thing, and all of them asked me if you had to disconnect shore power, before turning on the engine. NOW I know the answer. Thankx to all. Robbie, still in windy Key West

Redapple wrote:

othertonka wrote:

Care to tell us WHY AT 1:00 ??

My guess would be rain or wind...

Bill

08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

My fleetwood has Power Gear slides and the instructions are shift lever in PARK, emergency brake ON, Engine running. The slide operates from the "House" Batteries. These seem to be Power Gear instructions, not fleetwoods. It makes sense to me because with the engine running you have 14.1 volts coming from the alternator charging that battery. But by using the same thinking, if you were plugged into shore power, the converter would be supplying at least 13.6 volts to that same battery and I would have no problem just turning the ignition switch on without starting the engine and bring the slides in.

Not all MH's have the alternator charging the House batteries, in many MH's the alternator charges only the Chassis batteries. My House batteries are primarily chgd. with my Inverter/Charger. I did have a B.I.R.D. relay installed that will trickle charge my house batteries when the engine is running from the alternator.

My slides operatate from the House batteries, whether plugged into Shore power or not. I have opened or closed my slides from House batteries only, without any problems. If I am dry camping I would have my gen running and would close or open my slides in most circumstances. T.S. recommeded engine off then push auto level on Equalizer panel which deflates air bags, jacks deploy to level MH before you open slides. I have never tried to open or close my slides with motor running.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

keepingthelightson

Santa Clarita, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All systems are different as previously stated. The slides are probably powered by your chassis batteries. That is why Fleetwood wants you to start your engine. I can not operate my slides either with the engine running. Check with Fleetwood for specifics.

05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

series60man

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 06 Executive, it is suppose to sense the power source and default to the generator. Just to be safe, I turn off all the higher amp users and turn off power at the electric panel but do not unplug except for a lighting storm. Then I start my generator. If the safety system failed and both power sources were on together, I would hope the breakers would do their job because otherwise......

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Pace Arrow requires the engine to be running when slides are operated. Alway has seemed strange.

Bob

03FatBoy

Crossville, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Economical Handyman wrote:

They must have their reasons?

On our Dutch Star the slides will not move if the diesel is running.

Same on our Holiday Rambler. I always have shore power connected when moving the slides as they draw a lot of juice. Pretty sure our manual even advises that.

Melissa & Steve (MNC USNR retired)
FMCA F335327, GS
'05 HR Ambassador 36PDD, Saturn Vue Toad
8.3L Cummins w/ 6sp Allison

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Starting your engine, while plugged into shore power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts