Woodalls Open Roads Forum: What are the best quality travel trailers made
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What are the best quality travel trailers made

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scottman70 wrote:

Went out for 5 hours today looking at Outback, Evergreen, Salem, Keystone, Holiday Rambler, Layton, Fourwinds, KZ Durango, North Trail...... I think I've decided to keep my Attitude Toy Hauler! Travel Trailers just are not built near as well nor do they seem near as nice as Toy Haulers! No generators on Travel Trailers? What the heck is the reason for that? Seemed cheap to me but all seemed to be priced in the $30K-38K range with no generator? Just not impressed with anything I saw today, kind of bummed! After all of this looking today I am ecstatic with my Hauler and it's a keeper! It seems it would not be an upgrade to go from a Toy Hauler to a travel trailer! These RV manufacturers are so darn cheap with there products! They cannot include 2 TV's and a generator for $35K? My hauler came with 2 TV's, 2 DVD players, Sony Xplod 7 speaker sounds system, fuel station, electric tongue jack, 4.0 generator. All that and I only paid $28K?

evergreen was the one that impressed me. but I have never seen a TT with gen set standard, and few 5ers.
bumpy

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generators, to my knowledge, have never been a part of a travel trailer. Some people get portable ones but as far as being a standard item, that has never been the case.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP; all most all TT's use the same materials from the walls, carpet, vinyl windows, tires and on and on.

Rvndave wrote:

I would avoid fiberglass/filon sided units due to cracking and delamination problems. Plus the aluminum is lighter.

Sorry but you are wrong here, my 34' dual bunkhouse is lighter the my neighbors 30' single slide quad bunkhouse.

Mine is Filon sided over aluminum framing and his Jayco is aluminum sided over wood framing. His TT weighs in at 8.5K+ dry and mine is 7K dry. As far as delam I have not heard about any issues, as long as you keep up your end and check caulk and seams you won't have any issues with either.

Don

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Eco-diesel. For your safety "Slower Eco-diesels Keep Right"

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg,

I think you completely missed the aluminum point. Aluminum not as in framing but as in Aluminum trailers--Airstream. Inner walls are aluminum, aluminum framing between walls and aluminum outer skin. It will last almost forever, no delam, no rubber 12 year roof stuff.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Perrysburg,

I think you completely missed the aluminum point. Aluminum not as in framing but as in Aluminum trailers--Airstream. Inner walls are aluminum, aluminum framing between walls and aluminum outer skin. It will last almost forever, no delam, no rubber 12 year roof stuff.

I would guess that most of the trailers with aluminum sides would have either a rubber or TPO roof. exclusions of course would include Airstreams, etc. or high $$ ticket ones.
bumpy

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

jmtandem wrote:

Perrysburg,

I would guess that most of the trailers with aluminum sides would have either a rubber or TPO roof. exclusions of course would include Airstreams, etc. or high $$ ticket ones.
bumpy

Well if the OP has about 100K to put down on a Airstream you might find something. Here is a link to a Airstream dealer the list price on a 28' International is $79,356.00 LINK it's not a bunkhouse as NO slides and with all due respect I don't buy into all the hype about Airstream's quality. I see a ton of them being rebuilt and they all have the same recurring theme. They ALL had to be GUTTED and rebuilt from the ground up! They have there place and that's old people with more money then they know what to do with otherwise, there are a lot of RV's out there as good with a lot more to offer.

Don

scottman70

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am surprised that so many people purchase travel trailers instead of toy haulers. They make light toy haulers that are all self contained which is what I like. I never really looked at or researched travel trailers that much. That's why I was so surprised they didn't have all the extras that haulers have. The Outback 31 bunk house weighs the same as my 27' hauler which was the only travel trailer we would consider. But why get less options and be the same weight as my current setup? If I am going longer than my hauler I definitely want a lighter trailer! My 27 ft. hauler weighs in empty at 7200. I just can't downgrade to a travel trailer at this time! I am going to wait until I get a pickup and then get a 5ver!

Thank You all for you feedback. I am holding onto what I have at this time.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg,

No disrespect taken, no disrespect offered.
Almost all the Airstream folks love their product, many using one that is older than four travel trailers built by somebody else in the same time frame. Sure, after awhile it needs to be rebuilt but it has the value to invest in that rebuild, not all RV's can say that and in most cases they are economically non feasible to rebuild.

I think you can find a few that think like you, they paid too much, for too little, and when some problem occurs they badmouth the product. However, used 'Streams are in demand, don't sit on lots long and the new ones are all purchased.

As to price..........$80K for some folks is the same as $20K is to others. Some buy Ferraris, some Jettas they both drive on the same roads, park in the same parking places, etc. But, they are not the same. I am sure you can find some unhappy Ferrari owners, sorry they spent that kind of money for a car that gave them a problem, and try to badmouth it.

But, I think most of us would love to drive a Ferrari if we could and love to camp in the American icon trailer if we could. Are Airstreams that good? Lets put it this way--- if the Japanese Imperial Army used them in WWII, they would have won the war!

scottman70

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Perrysburg,

No disrespect taken, no disrespect offered.
Almost all the Airstream folks love their product, many using one that is older than four travel trailers built by somebody else in the same time frame. Sure, after awhile it needs to be rebuilt but it has the value to invest in that rebuild, not all RV's can say that and in most cases they are economically non feasible to rebuild.

I think you can find a few that think like you, they paid too much, for too little, and when some problem occurs they badmouth the product. However, used 'Streams are in demand, don't sit on lots long and the new ones are all purchased.

As to price..........$80K for some folks is the same as $20K is to others. Some buy Ferraris, some Jettas they both drive on the same roads, park in the same parking places, etc. But, they are not the same. I am sure you can find some unhappy Ferrari owners, sorry they spent that kind of money for a car that gave them a problem, and try to badmouth it.

But, I think most of us would love to drive a Ferrari if we could and love to camp in the American icon trailer if we could. Are Airstreams that good? Lets put it this way--- if the Japanese Imperial Army used them in WWII, they would have won the war!

Airstream has little flexibility in there floorplans. You lose cabinet space in the edges of the roof, and they are way way overpriced. I have seen a couple of them!

eubank

Angel Fire, NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at the price of an Airstream like I look at the price of any quality product. If you pay that much, expect it to hold up; if you pay a low price, then don't expect it to handle the long run. Of course, if you don't expect to use a product for very long, then by all means, buy at the lower price!

Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What are the best quality travel trailers made
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: